2010 Yamaha Vino - metro detroit service?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

2010 Yamaha Vino - metro detroit service?

Postby imzbushman on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi all, anyone know of a good honest service shop in the detroit area? I went to a highly rated yamaha dealer to have my bike serviced and they didnt do what i asked for and charged me a fortune, totally unpleasant.

In a previous post i had asked about what might be causing some very slow acceleration. Gizmo gal replied and said it might be related to the cvt belt or some rollers. I would like someone to diagnose the problem and offer a fix and possibly some upgrades for better performance.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
imzbushman

Re: 2010 Yamaha Vino - metro detroit service?

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 pm

I have no recommendations as to specifically where to go for repair of your Vino. I know nothing about Detroit. But there are ways to get work done on terms you accept and can afford. There I can help a bit.

For one thing, don’t limit your choices to dealer service locations. You’re riding around the Motor City. So there’s a relationship to motoring. Motorcycle shops can also fix scooters. Google places that advertise themselves as motorcycle repair places. Go take a look at a couple of locations that turn up and ask if they can work on a scooter and if there’s even one mechanic with scooter repair experience. For one thing, there are actually “automatic “ motorcycles, meaning ones without clutches, and a mechanic might be trained or experienced to be able to look at the Vino.

Don’t reject the notion of a guy working out of his garage or a one man shop. I believe it’s way better to find a place that has a legit business license and a lift plus tools, but small is not incompetent.

Now you sound a little naive about scooters and perhaps not confident handling business practices. That leaves you vulnerable because a shop can take a scatter shot approach to tackle your bike’s symptoms and charge you for time without resolving things if they are not thorough or perhaps if they are dodgy or lazy. You can approach repairs by describing the bike’s performance issues and leaving diagnostics to the shop. That might not get you what you need, because there is no focus and you’re not clear about time and expense limits. They just take a stab at it and you pay.

Alternatively, you can direct the shop to do specific actions and to keep you advised of their findings before going forward. So you direct them to dismantle the scooter to examine the belt and rollers. You make it clear that you want their efforts focused that way and to report what they find and recommend. Before you turn over the bike you ask for an estimate for fees for that much work. You decide if your budget covers that look-see and then allow it. If you’re told that the bike has been examined as requested and yes it needs rollers, or maybe belt adjustment, etc, you find out an estimate for that work to go forward. You allow that work or say no thanks, take the bike home fixed or take it home still crappy, but you’ve only spent what you’re willing to spend. Much less surprise and the shop knows you’re in charge that way. Your bike, your expectations, your wallet.

Much of this type of repair cannot be standardized. So there’s not a set fee for what work gets done. In the end, it’s not what it costs, it’s what it’s worth to you! If the bike was a bargain, you put money into it and get to enjoy it. If it has turned into a money eating pain in the ass, then you have to evaluate how much further you want to go. Is this a beloved bike or a whim you’re coming to regret? I’ve suggested this in my previous reply to your carburetor/sluggish inquiry.

Avoid being taken advantage of by requesting specific work and agreeing to pay only for that, only within close range to an estimate in advance. No one quotes $150 and charges $275 if you don’t allow it. Use shops that are not dealers but who know repairs for scooters, ATVs, motorcycles. Yamaha parts can be ordered by any shop, so you don’t need a dealer, you need a competent mechanic. Definitely follow up going to any shop that gets recommended by a forum member or any source you hear from. Have you tried other scooter forums to expand your search for a repair location?
Urbanscootin is a fine board, but it’s mostly Honda Metropolitan and Ruckus owners, so a forum with more Yamaha owners could have new ideas. How about any motorcycle/scooter clubs in your area? Look into those and talk to members for repair ideas or resources. Could be one great DIY guy who can do it all for you.

Your question here was not a specific maintenance or repair need, so I moved it to General Chat, which will get more members to read it and maybe help suggest where to go. I hope you benefit by my reply and soon get your bike up to speed. Good luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to General Chat