Anyone ride a Buddy 50?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Anyone ride a Buddy 50?

Postby ScooterStephABQ on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 am

Hey all!
It's been YEARS since I have been on the forum and/or owned a scooter. I sold me Honda Metropolitan when I got pregnant with my first child, since then have had a second child, and now they are 10 and 5, respectively... so I have not been on a scooter since 2008! Also, we no longer live in Albuquerque, but in Lexington, KY now.
My commute to work is about 2 miles, and no main roads or posted speeds over 30 mph. There is one moderately steep hill on the way, but it is not long, and the speed limit (posted) is 30 mph. I was thinking of buying a new scooter, since I miss it so much and it is very feasible for me to scoot to work once again!
I want a 50cc, both because I love them, they are the right size for me (I am very short and slight of build) but also because I won't need to register it here in KY, which saves me a few extra dollars. I have owned 2 Honda Mets in the past, but this time am seriously waffling between a new Met and a new Buddy 50. The initial price difference is significant - about $600 between them, but having never ridden ANY Genuine scooters, I was hoping some of you could share your experiences/advice. I am going to make my final decision and purchase within the next 2 - 4 weeks.
THANKS! It's good to be back!
Steph
ScooterStephABQ

Re: Anyone ride a Buddy 50?

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:29 am

Welcome back!

I don’t know if you’ll get much of a direct response from anyone in this forum riding a Buddy 50 or any Genuine scooter. I myself have only personal experience with the Honda Met. Yet, I’d like to contribute to your decision-making with a few suggestions for your focus on the two choices you’ve come up with. You needn’t answer me so much as consider these factors.

You should think about which scooter has a more available shop for parts and service If it’s one scooter dealer selling and servicing both types of bikes, it’s moot. But if there are two separate places to buy a scooter and have access to service depending on either a Honda dealer or a Genuine dealer, you should evaluate which place is likely to do better for you, if your scooter someday needs attention from a mechanic for a breakdown or important maintenance like new brakes.

I’d read reviews anywhere I could, not just on this forum, about each bike, not reviews necessarily comparing the two. Just Google to identify reviews to find out what buyers/riders think about the new Met or a Buddy 50 and then you decide what complaints or highlights keep coming up in each review that influences you the most. Comfort? Speed? Reliability? Accessories? For what it’s worth, I’ve only read and heard good things about Genuine scooters, but I know nothing specific about the Buddy 50. The new Mets are speedy and now have fuel injection, so the pesky carburetor and nuisance of stringent maintenance is done with. The new Mets are high quality and easy to maintain with just regular oil changes, but I don’t actually know if they are “better” or worth more money than a Buddy 50.

That $600 price difference would make a big influence on me; unless I knew I was riding the hell out of the thing nearly daily, I would not want to spend big money on a scooter I might use only once or twice a week for a few miles of fun. If it’s strictly recreational use in moderate road conditions, I’d feel safe and confident in buying the less expensive scooter. Even if riding itbto your work, as long as it isn’t the #1 means of transportation, you can be thrifty. That’s probably the Buddy 50. If it’s fuel injected and suits you in other respects like looks and speed, I’d buy it.

If there’s a college campus nearby, go take a look at scooters that might be parked there. See if there is a bigger presence of Honda or Genuine. Or even Mets versus Buddy . Popularity means preference and you get a feel for what others are riding and also the possibility of your selling your scooter someday if it has to happen. You’ve seen your own life changes and reasons to no longer own a scooter. Now you want to ride again. Resale value of whatever you buy might be a factor to consider.

I hope I’ve helped just to cover some extra thinking, and by no means implying you didn’t already evaluate as I’ve suggested. But I didn’t want you to have no reply as I know this forum is very quiet these days. Post again after you’ve made your choice and share what you love about what you bought. If I can help further, reach out. I do hope other forum members respond here, too. Glad you’re back on the board and back to scooter fun.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby New2Scoots on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 pm

I don't have the Buddy 50 but have the Buddy 170i & love it. Check the forum "modernbuddy.com." Lots of good info there.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2013 Honda NCH 50
2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
New2Scoots

Postby New2Scoots on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 am

I took a look at the Buddy 50 from their website & noticed it's restricted to 30 mph. They do that because some states don't require a motorcycle license if it doesn't go over 30. Derestricted these go around 45. My Honda Metro does 35 mph but the newer ones are a bit peppier & may be closer to 40 mph. I think the main difference in cost is because the Buddy 50 is an air-cooled 2-stroke with a carburetor & the Honda is a liquid-cooled 4-stroke with fuel injection. Carburetors require a fuel additive/ethanol treatment if you don't ride several weeks because ethanol corrodes carburetor parts. No problem with fuel injection. Ethanol ruined 2 carburetors on my lawnmower, my weed wacker & hedge trimmer. My 12 year old motorcycle is fuel injected & still runs like new. Otherwise not much difference in long term maintenance for these 2 scoots. A valve adjustment on the Honda after break-in, otherwise just oil changes, etc. The Buddy may need a new piston ring after thousands of miles but air-cooled 2-strokes are very easy to work on. You might find a deal on a low mileage Metro. Mine had 171 miles, not even broken in for $1,495 at my Honda dealer. Derestricting the Buddy may require rejecting the carb which can be a pain. I had my carburetor apart many times on my last motorcycle just from changing the muffler. Stock, the Honda is faster & won't require ethanol treatment or mods. Oh, Albuquerque; I lived there too. Just 4 years but enjoyed the climate, sunsets, hiking & mountain biking in the Sandia mountains.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2013 Honda NCH 50
2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
New2Scoots

Postby New2Scoots on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I checked Cycletrader.com & saw a new 2017 Honda Metro for $1,500 but it was in Pineville, North Carolina. Some deals are out there. Maybe see if a Honda dealer will match the Buddy price if they have a new 2017 or 2018 Metro.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2013 Honda NCH 50
2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
New2Scoots

Postby ScooterStephABQ on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks so much for the input. I think everything that was shared here is right on target - you all mentioned exactly the same concerns/considerations I already had brewing in my mind. I know the Met is the better choice, and I have owned two of them in the past and thought they were perfect. I will definitely be purchasing the Met. I may take a bit more time and consider waiting to see if anyone around here is selling a used one (2016 or newer.) if not, I will haggle with our only Honda dealer !
Can’t wait to be riding again!!!!
Steph
ScooterStephABQ

Return to General Chat