Loading Met into a SUV

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Loading Met into a SUV

Postby skipcooney on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 am

I would like to take my MET along on some trips this summer. I even got a CT plate for it although the police around here don't seem to care whether or not it is registered. I know I will need registration in RI, NY, and MA. The Met just fits in my 07 RAV4 standing up straight if I remove mirrors and let a little air out of the front tire. I load it back end first, tilting it some to the side to clear the entrance. To load it we pick up the back end and rest the back tire on the rear bumper with the front tire still on the ground.

My question... Will this loading procedure cause any gas or oil to slosh into someplace it does not belong inside the Met? If so, will if cause engine trouble? A ramp might be the answer, but I would prefer to travel without one if possible.
2009 Buddy 125
2008 Vespa S 150
2007 Ruby Met
1977 yellow Motobecane Mobylette (sold)
skipcooney

Re: Loading Met into a SUV

Postby StartaRuckus on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:47 pm

As long as the scoot does not sit sideways or upside down for more than a moment, there should be no issues with fouling the plug.
Once in the vehicle, there is concern with gas fumes making its way from the carb. There will always be some. Inhaling unburned hydrocarbons in a enclosed vehicle is not a good thing. Have you considered using a hitch-mounted carrier? These usually come with a ramp too.
StartaRuckus

Postby vulcan on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 pm

First of all, unless there is something wrong with the fuel system on your Met, you shouldn't have any issues with gas fumes, and if you do, you'll know it before you die from it. I keep 2 scooters and 2 mopeds in my living room, all with gas in the tanks (no, I don't smoke) and there isn't the slightest gas smell at all. If there were, I would notice it as soon as I opened the door after being gone all day. Second, your going to put a scooter INSIDE an SUV? Something just seems, well, wrong with that picture. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby skipcooney on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:02 am

StartaRuckus wrote: Have you considered using a hitch-mounted carrier? These usually come with a ramp too.

Trailers are so expensive, and where do I put it when I'm not using it?

vulcan wrote:your going to put a scooter INSIDE an SUV? Something just seems, well, wrong with that picture. Jerry.

Riding the Met on 200 miles of mostly rural roads going to Cape Cod does not seem like a good option to me. Speed limits are too high.

It seems the consensus is that tipping the scooter forward and to the side while loading it should not cause any problems.
2009 Buddy 125
2008 Vespa S 150
2007 Ruby Met
skipcooney

Postby GIJoeBob on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

A hitch mounted carrier is not a trailer. It is a platform about the same size as your scooter. That is how I move my scoots around. It cost me about $60 at Tractor Supply.
I don't fix scooters - I curse at them.
GIJoeBob

Postby skipcooney on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 pm

I actually want to haul 2 scooters, a Met and a Vespa S150. Someday I would like a fold-up trailer for 2, but I don't want to spend that much right now. My stopgap solution is to rent a UHaul motorcycle trailer for the Vespa and put the Met in the SUV. A single hitch mounted carrier would not work for me.
2009 Buddy 125
2008 Vespa S 150
2007 Ruby Met
skipcooney

Return to General Chat