How many Folks "Winterize" their Scoot?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

How many Folks "Winterize" their Scoot?

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 pm

The dreaded cold season is here in the northeast. Means I have to park the toy soon.

Does anybody do all that stuff in the manual to winterize? I was planning on just putting stabilized gas in the MET and starting it every couple of weeks to keep the powertrain oiled and the battery up. It's worked well on my Deere tractor - a different animal altogether.

I'd rather keep it running than let it go dormant for 4 months - Any veteran Met owners in the cold parts of the country? :-?
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Re: How many Folks "Winterize" their Scoot?

Postby lildebbie on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm

I try to ride a little throughout the winter months ..then again I'm farther south and there's more opportunities.

debbie
2006 Kymco People 150- Miss Scarlett
lildebbie

Postby Bustin on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:33 pm

I don't winterize my scoots, we have mild winters in Seattle and I ride year around. I have some bikes that see only occasional use, so I do use a little fuel stabilizer in them as well as paying some attention to my batteries.

In areas that get socked in with snow and riding gets shut down for months, , stabilizing the fuel and starting it up now and then isn't a bad plan. Starting and idling won't keep the battery charged up very well, or may even discharge it . Bikes usually draw on a battery at lower RPMs , and don't start charging until you get the engine wound up for a few miles , so unless you can actually ride it ,a float charger is a good call .

I use the Deltran Battery Tender.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.p ... 1af7454a57.

If it's a four stroke and anywhere near it's oil change time, I'd recommend you do that before putting the scoot away for the winter. Dirty engine oil has acids in it that can eat on internal engine parts during storage.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby DskullChris on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 am

Snow and ice only stop me in the winter(in Denver) if it's not snowing, snowpacked or icy-then I'm on the thing year round. Scoot or bus/lightrail are my only options. I just bundle the hell up and usually never have more than 5 miles to go. My face may be numb at the end of the ride but it beats the bus if I can-and saves $1.75 each way.
DskullChris

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:53 am

I ride on dry roads in any weather break that gives relatively mild temps on any winter day I can. I keep the battery tended by plugging in ( only if it snows and I realize it will be many days before the next ride) or riding briefly when a "thaw" comes along. I put fuel stabilizer in the tank and that keeps things moving easily so start-up is not a hassle. Even 15 minutes of riding cheers me up and keeps the bike good for at least 10 days.
I have never had my battery run down or went thru winter start problems just by being attentive and anticipating the weather enough to keep the bike "alive" in the garage and still to be able to ride any time I can. I don't want it shut down and wrapped up like my boat. A winter ride can be fun and it's good for the bike.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby FLATOUT50 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:55 am

Bustin wrote:I don't winterize my scoots, we have mild winters in Seattle and I ride year around. I have some bikes that see only occasional use, so I do use a little fuel stabilizer in them as well as paying some attention to my batteries.

In areas that get socked in with snow and riding gets shut down for months, , stabilizing the fuel and starting it up now and then isn't a bad plan. Starting and idling won't keep the battery charged up very well, or may even discharge it . Bikes usually draw on a battery at lower RPMs , and don't start charging until you get the engine wound up for a few miles , so unless you can actually ride it ,a float charger is a good call .

I use the Deltran Battery Tender.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.p ... 1af7454a57.

If it's a four stroke and anywhere near it's oil change time, I'd recommend you do that before putting the scoot away for the winter. Dirty engine oil has acids in it that can eat on internal engine parts during storage.

Thanks for the great link on the battery tender ;)
FLATOUT50

Postby vulcan on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 am

FLATOUT50 wrote:The dreaded cold season is here in the northeast. Means I have to park the toy soon.

Does anybody do all that stuff in the manual to winterize? I was planning on just putting stabilized gas in the MET and starting it every couple of weeks to keep the powertrain oiled and the battery up. It's worked well on my Deere tractor - a different animal altogether.

I'd rather keep it running than let it go dormant for 4 months - Any veteran Met owners in the cold parts of the country? :-?

Actually, there's less difference between your scooter and your John Deere tractor than you think. If you are just storing it through the winter, I recommend storing it indoors, whether in the house like me, or at least in a shed, and starting and warming it up at least once a week. Once warm, rev the engine up a little to engage the clutch, sit on it to work the suspension up and down, move it backward and forward to turn the wheels and use both brakes, turn the handlebars from side to side, in short, try and move everything that is designed to move. Also, change the oil before you store it, at least once through the winter, and again when you start riding it again.

If you are going to store it for several years, there is a long complicated process that needs to be gone through, and it definitely needs to be kept inside, but that is not necessary just for the winter. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby FLATOUT50 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks to all for the insight to everybody on the forum!

We have a very large two car garage, and the scoot and the Deere are in there over winter, with the rest of the equipment and cars. I always change my oil before layup, but it's very clean in the spring so I don't waste the resources to change it again. The Deere gets a full cleaning and tune up before winter after I'm done picking up the last of the leaves.

The little Honda Met is so new (300 miles) it will only get the oil changed before layup. I changed it once at 100 miles after break in, and the dealer will do the 600 mile check up and oil service to validate the warranty.

I keep asking myself why I didn't buy a scooter sooner... One reason is that no new Mets were available!

Thanks

;) Jeff
FLATOUT50

Return to General Chat