California M1/M2 License Test

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

California M1/M2 License Test

Postby qpid360 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey can someone clear this up for me? I get various answers from different people. When taking the actual driving/skills test for the M1/M2, can I take my own scooter (under 150cc)? I've heard from some people that an actual motorcycle is required, or if a scooter is used, it must be greater than 150cc?

Please let me know, thanks!
-erikson-
qpid360

Re: California M1/M2 License Test

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:56 pm

In CA M1/M2 is based on speed of vehicle not CCs. If it goes 30+mph you need an M1 below 30mph then an M2.

A 150cc or above is freeway legal, below 150cc then it is not freeway legal.
DaBinChe

Postby qpid360 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for clearing it up. It's funny everyone gave me different answers before.
-erikson-
qpid360

Postby duderiffic on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 am

Here is another answer (different than DBC's) but it comes from the DMV so you should believe it.

http://dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

Most states have laws as DBC suggested- my home state- Oregon does the 50cc 30mph thing as do many other states- CA doesn't call a Metro a motorcycle but rather a motor-driven cycle but you still need a M1 license to ride either one. The only distinction is you can't take the Metro on the freeway whereas a 150cc bike it is legal. (Notice your during your next merge on to a freeway it will say no peds, bikes or motor-driven cycles).

Hopefully you're all clear now. :D
duderiffic
Admin

Postby undertheradar on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 am

DaBinChe wrote:In CA M1/M2 is based on speed of vehicle not CCs. If it goes 30+mph you need an M1 below 30mph then an M2.

:-?

Uh...nope.

* A Motorcycle has more than 150 CC, no more than 3 wheels and weighs less than 1500 pounds. Three wheeled motorcycles or motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. CVC Sec. 400
* A Motorcycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).

* A Motor Driven Cycle has 149CC or less engine size. CVC Sec. 405
* A Motor Driven Cycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).

* A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (b)
* A Motorized Bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee. No renewal required. (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1

* A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled device that has handlebars, a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by a motor. More Information CVC Sec. 407.5
* Motorized scooter does NOT have to be registered but driver must have a (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1

You can take the test on your 50cc scoot.
undertheradar

Postby qpid360 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks for clearing it all up!

By the way, I ended up getting a Piaggio Typhoon.
-erikson-
qpid360

Postby DaBinChe on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 am

undertheradar wrote:
DaBinChe wrote:In CA M1/M2 is based on speed of vehicle not CCs. If it goes 30+mph you need an M1 below 30mph then an M2.

:-?

Uh...nope.

* A Motorcycle has more than 150 CC, no more than 3 wheels and weighs less than 1500 pounds. Three wheeled motorcycles or motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. CVC Sec. 400
* A Motorcycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).

* A Motor Driven Cycle has 149CC or less engine size. CVC Sec. 405
* A Motor Driven Cycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).

* A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (b)
* A Motorized Bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee. No renewal required. (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1

* A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled device that has handlebars, a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by a motor. More Information CVC Sec. 407.5
* Motorized scooter does NOT have to be registered but driver must have a (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1

You can take the test on your 50cc scoot.

Every thing I stated is correct and accurate. No where on there did I mention anything about motorcycle, motor driven cycle or mopeds...nothing about vehicle classification. I answered the OP's question about license requirements in CA. Which is not based on CC but on speed of said two wheeler. Same thing with 150cc or more being freeway legal and below 150cc not being freeway legal, no mentioning of vehicle classification. Basically it doesn't matter what kinda bike you got if it is capable of 30+mph or less then 30mph then you will need an M1 or M2 respectively. For example, legally speaking, if you have a moped that can do 30+mph then you will need an M1. Or if you got an electric bicycle that can do more then 30+mph then you will need an M1. CA assumes that both these are not capable of going 30+mph. Another example in the opposite direction is the Met II, which is not technically a moped, but because it is only cable of ~25mph so only requires a M2.

The whole vehicle classification just confuses people and folks think that license is based on classification but is actually based on speed. If you read the full CVC you will see it, the CA DMV only points out classification and not the whole CVC. CA assumes that certain amount of power will allow more or less then the 30mph mark. CA also assumes that a certain classification is capable of a certain power/speed.

Funny thing about the motorized scooters (aka go-peds) is that CA doesn't recognize them as a motor vehicle so no insurance, registration, plates but ironically you still need a Class C license (a few years ago they required a M2). CA also assumes that these scooters are not capable of more then 30+mph.

I hold true to my original statement, it took me a lot of time reading the CVC to dig up the fact that CA license for two wheel motor vehicles are based on speed.
DaBinChe

Postby undertheradar on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Care to link us to the dmv or CVC sites confirming all of this?
undertheradar

Postby duderiffic on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I agree with UTR- the CVC doesn't seem to agree with that statement. This isn't about anyone being right or wrong but making sure there is no misinformation. I read the CVC for these laws when I first move here and I remember seeing there was nothing about speed mentioned anywhere in the statutes.

This code covers mopeds: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm
This code covers motorcycles: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc400.htm
And the definition of a motor driven cycle is -very- simple: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc405.htm
duderiffic
Admin

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 am

CVC says that a "moped" can't exceed 30mph meaning that if it does it is no longer a "moped" and you'll need an M1

The speed law for electric has been changed to 45mph in 2008, last time that I checked these codes was back in 2006, it was lower back then. Actually back then there wasn't any legal production electric motor cycle that could do more then 30mph. Now that Zero Motorcycles has a bike that can do 60mph.

I'm not disagreeing with the portion of vehicle classification. That is all correct. I'm just pointing out license requirement. Remember that laws are based on interpretation and as I said about the speed thing it is still accurate with everything in the CVC. My statement about a bikes going less then 30mph needs an M2 while anything faster needs an M1 is not mis-information but is accurate with the CVC. My statement is about as basic as you can get, it is all you need to know legally without having to know anything else about the CVC or vehicle classification. You can define this or that all you want but my point is about what license you need not about what type of vehicle is which that just complicate things. There is nothing in the CVC that says what CCs needs what type of license but speed is pointed out under the moped code. As I mentioned before CA assumes any other type of bike can go faster then 30mph which requires an M1.

Now if you want to disprove my statement then show me, cause my statement is supported by the CVC.
DaBinChe

Postby undertheradar on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:10 am

I'm not trying to disprove you...I'd just like to have a printout of those CVC's handy.
undertheradar

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am

undertheradar wrote:I'm not trying to disprove you...I'd just like to have a printout of those CVC's handy.

the links from dude is good but they seem to be missing a few things...last that I saw those codes were much longer, about 2X, then what is shown but that was a few years ago and they do get revised/changed so those could be all that there is now. There were/are a few more codes, non-classification codes, that also mentions two wheelers and some other requirements. The links dude provided are vehicle classification codes only.

You'll just have to dig them up like I did a few years ago...took me many hours to find a couple codes
DaBinChe

Postby markwesterdale on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I took my M2 test at the DMV recently; I pedaled around the course in the DMV's parking lot on my moped.
If anyone is looking for accurate information then I would recommend reading the relevant parts of the California Vehicle Code.
markwesterdale

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:24 am

This is an older thread but since it's inception the DMV now has an electronic copy of the CVC up on their website. Anything you read should be from the CVC and not the DMV. The DMV will interpret things and many times is inaccurate. Remember that the DMV does not make up the CVC it is the the state of CA that does. The DMV is only authorized for issuing licenses/registration and collecting fees/taxes for motor vehicles only.
DaBinChe

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:33 am

markwesterdale wrote:Thanks for the information. I took my M2 test at the DMV recently; I pedaled around the course in the DMV's parking lot on my moped.
If anyone is looking for accurate information then I would recommend reading the relevant parts of the California Vehicle Code.

You're the first person that I know of that has taken the M2, moped only, license test. So when you went there, did they require insurance? Obviously Mopeds don't need yearly registration, only the one time title/registration transfer. This has always been the reasoning behind my logic of mopeds not needing insurance because their is no yearly registration, once the transfer of title and one time registration is done it has no expiration date and only needs to be retransfer only if the moped is sold. I had gotten dozens and dozens of folks pass their M1 test and was always curious about the M2.
DaBinChe

Next

Return to General Chat