Premium Gas

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Premium Gas

Postby scoot71603 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey Guys I put premium gas in the scoot the other day and she flat acted stupid (would not idle right, stumbled at stop signs) I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen or was it bad gas. i got it at a convenience store, prolly bad gas. :-/
2005 Honda Metropolitan
scoot71603

Re: Premium Gas

Postby Hitnmissman on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm

My '05 absolutely runs better on regular gas.
2005 Metro II
2001 1100 Yamaha V-Star
1999 1200 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Hitnmissman

Postby FLATOUT50 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 pm

scoot71603 wrote:Hey Guys I put premium gas in the scoot the other day and she flat acted stupid (would not idle right, stumbled at stop signs) I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen or was it bad gas. i got it at a convenience store, prolly bad gas. :-/

It may be a combination of your scooter and bad gas. If you have a Met, the compression ratio is way up there around 12:1. There is no knock sensors so octane is the only thing preventing spark knock under load. My Met tends to "ping" or have spark knock especially under load in hot weather, so I got used to buying 91 Octane. The higher octane will only benefit if you have spark knock, so use the least octane rating it will run good on. That can vary by machine, gas available to an area, and riding conditions.

FO 50
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby antonelc on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm

FLATOUT50 wrote:
scoot71603 wrote:Hey Guys I put premium gas in the scoot the other day and she flat acted stupid (would not idle right, stumbled at stop signs) I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen or was it bad gas. i got it at a convenience store, prolly bad gas. :-/

It may be a combination of your scooter and bad gas. If you have a Met, the compression ratio is way up there around 12:1. There is no knock sensors so octane is the only thing preventing spark knock under load. My Met tends to "ping" or have spark knock especially under load in hot weather, so I got used to buying 91 Octane. The higher octane will only benefit if you have spark knock, so use the least octane rating it will run good on. That can vary by machine, gas available to an area, and riding conditions.

FO 50

Generally speaking though premium gas has more detergents that help protect your engine from carbon buildup. My 2008 Metropolitan runs great on Shell V-Power [-( but I am almost always full throttle hitting rev limiter :)) .
antonelc

Postby raddichio on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 am

It probably wasn't the fact that it was a random convenience store instead of a chain. It could be that the specific station has a bad tank that allowed condensation or some other problem, but almost all the gas at every station comes from the same place.
raddichio

Postby Bustin on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 am

Super Unleaded fuel is much more likely to be contaminated with water than regular fuel. Not sure why .
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby scoot71603 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 am

I am buying gas now from a real gas station and it makes the world of difference. no more stumbles or rough idle. I guess I will buy gas from only there from here out. It makes Scoot much happier than the conv store stuff. And when Scoot is happy I am happy. :D
2005 Honda Metropolitan
scoot71603

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Generally speaking though premium gas has more detergents that help protect your engine from carbon buildup.

Incorrect.

Super Unleaded fuel is much more likely to be contaminated with water than regular fuel. Not sure why .

My guess is that because they sell a lot less of it, it sits in the underground tank a lot longer.

BTW, I'll be picking up the new BMW on Tuesday...
Paddy_Crow

Return to General Chat