How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Postby eq1 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm sure I saw something like this before, but I'm having problems with the search function...

Anyone have an idea of how many miles one can expect from a Met? Basic or average-Joe maintenance, original engine (that's the most important thing), etc.? I'm trying to get a better sense of what a 'high mileage' Metro actually is. When you look for used ones you rarely see them with over say about 7,000 miles, and usually around 2,000, 3,000, 4,000... In most respects 7,000 miles, or say the difference between a scoot with 4,000 miles or 7,000 miles, doesn't seem like it would be that much. But then again, I don't have a good feel for how many miles you can actually expect to get from one of these things, having such a small engine, always pinned at high rpms, etc... It sometimes crosses my mind that maybe I should pick up yet another used Metro, if I can find one cheap. The ones with over 5,000 miles tend to be quite a bit cheaper than the ones with under 5,000, yet my gut tells me there's probably not too much difference in terms of the core quality, wear on the engine, etc...
2002 & 06 Met, 5 10.5~180
eq1

Re: How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Postby bmph8ter on Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 am

Mine has just a shade over 5000 on it and seems to hum along like a sewing machine. I just got it 2 weeks ago, so I know nothing of its service history. Judging from the shape that the plastic is in, it's live a HARD life but as I said it runs great.

In my opinion, since Honda says that the first valve lash check is @ 15,000 that would tell me that they mean for them to last a good long time. I imagine that the care they receive makes a much bigger difference than anything. I could be biased though as I am a BIG fan of preventative and regular maintenance.
bmph8ter

Postby eq1 on Wed May 19, 2010 11:46 am

Good point - that 15,000 mile valve lash maintenance item...
eq1

Postby FLATOUT50 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:32 pm

A guy who collects empty bottles has one with over 25K on it. Most folks outgrow these bikes long before they wear out. 5K miles probably a belt and variator rollers, 6.5K miles probably tires, 10K miles look at suspension, 15K miles adjust valves...Repeat as required. :D It's a liquid cooled Honda designed to run a long time. Most posts I read or answer on sick Mets are from older, low mileage units with gummed up fuel systems and dead batteries from sitting. Mine still runs and looks new at 1,500 miles.

Best,
FO 50
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby Bryan on Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I turned 14K a week or so back with a 2006
Maintenance thus far, set of rollers, couple spark plugs,air filters, oil changes every thousand and rear gear lube @ 10K. I suspect my belt is wearing thin as my speed has fallen off again. I plan to replace belt & rollers @ 15K.
I have no reason to think it won't double or triple what I've got on it already
Bryan

Postby DaBinChe on Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I would check the valves at the first 1k miles, then 2k-3k intervals after that. Yes it is contrary to the honda manual but having four of these motors/scoots and putting over 5k miles on each one the valve will go out way sooner then the honda recommended adjustment interval.

Lots of the maintencence items will require different milage interval as well..depending on conditions. For example My current met at almost 9k miles is still on the original belt, but the previous three met/ruckus I had to change out the belt as soon as 2k-3k miles. Same with rollers on this current one I'm able to go 5k miles but previous ones where changed out way sooner.

I just don't beat up my current met as much as I did the previous three.
DaBinChe

Postby eq1 on Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 am

I know various (mostly minor?) parts will require replacement at different intervals, and overall mileage will vary, depending on how rough/hard the scoot's been ridden and how well it's been maintained. What I'm really after is mainly a sense of how long the engine will last, and maybe major drive train components... Let's assume the typical owner changes the oil once at 1,000 miles, and roughly every 3,000 miles thereafter. Nothing else. I know various little things will need to be replaced, adjusted, etc. But will the, say, 6,000 mile scoot be much worse off than the, say, 10,000 mile scoot - assuming these little things aren't a big deal? My guess is there won't be a major difference; my guess is, if you change the oil fairly regularly, the engine will last ... at least 20,000? 30,000?

In other words, the value of a Met with 5,000 miles is basically the same as the value of one with 10,000, or perhaps the value drops 'so much' because there are little things that go and need adjusting, but the typical owner doesn't realize this. So, the perception is that 'low mileage' scoots are ones with mileages at what most people first sell them - about 3,000 miles. 'High mileage' scoots are above 5,000. But you rarely see ones for sell (I don't) with mileages above, say, 10,000... So the perception is high mileage, even though scoots with say 5,000 or 10,000 miles are most likely fundamentally in the same condition... This is all speculation, I don't really know - since I have no experience with Met's over about 7,000 miles and I rarely see them for sale. That's why I posted this thread, to get some feedback.

If I see a bunch of owners saying they have 10,000 plus miles on their scoots and they run basically as good as they did when they had say 5,000 miles - that would support my hunches. If I see a bunch of owners saying they had a string of problems when the mileage got above say 10,000, 15,000, that'd go against these hunches...
eq1

Postby raddichio on Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 am

eq1 wrote:...
In other words, the value of a Met with 5,000 miles is basically the same as the value of one with 10,000, or perhaps the value drops 'so much' because there are little things that go and need adjusting, but the typical owner doesn't realize this. So, the perception is that 'low mileage' scoots are ones with mileages at what most people first sell them - about 3,000 miles. 'High mileage' scoots are above 5,000. But you rarely see ones for sell (I don't) with mileages above, say, 10,000... So the perception is high mileage, even though scoots with say 5,000 or 10,000 miles are most likely fundamentally in the same condition... This is all speculation, I don't really know - since I have no experience with Met's over about 7,000 miles and I rarely see them for sale. That's why I posted this thread, to get some feedback...

I'm not yet in agreement with your statement that 5K miles=10K miles in condition. A lot of the difference might be time. It might take some riders a lot of time to double the miles and vehicles suffer by time as well as distance. Plastic might get more faded, things get brittle, there's more chances of scrapes and scratches, tires get cracked, more exposure to more seasons of winter or sand or salt, etc...
raddichio

Postby FLATOUT50 on Thu May 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I'd say that if one ran synthetic oil and changed every 1000 miles, There would be little engine difference between 5K and 10K miles. But if one ran regular oil and stretched out the changes, there would be a major difference at 10K miles since there is no real filtration.
At $2049 new, a Met is probably disposable at 10K miles if you cannot maintain it yourself based on $85/hr shop rate and parts. It works for me because I can maintain it, I can ride it for the price of my drivers license, and it's a long lasting bike.
FLATOUT50

Postby DaBinChe on Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 pm

more miles means more wear and tear on wear items, and yes more time also means soft parts (plastics, rubber,seals, etc.) degrade.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about getting a spare met or even want one cause with one sitting around it will just degrade over time. Just ride what you got till you feel like you beat it to shit and warrant a replacement and get yourself a good used one for $1k. Mets are a dime a dozen, and knowing honda they will sell them for at least another decade.

I don't think any thing would be wrong with a met with 10k miles as long as the maintenance was done. So let me put it this way and I think this is more inline with what you are asking. Given a choice between a 2001 met with 5k miles vs. 2008 with 10k miles at the same price and both were maintained well I would probably go for the newer met with more miles.
DaBinChe

Postby eq1 on Thu May 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Are you talking to me when you say "if I were you"? Cuz I sold my Met (two Met's, successively) and don't actually own one anymore... But hey, that's another question I ask myself when thinking about buying another: pre-2006 for less or 2006+? Why would you buy the newer model with higher mileage? Because being ridden more means better (or conversely, the other being ridden so much less is worse)? Because of the few improvements to the 2006+ models? I generally wouldn't go for the older ones, but most of the time they're quite a bit cheaper... I think Mets tend to be overpriced - $1,200, $1,300, $1500? I can see myself plopping down maybe $600, $700, but probably not more. It kind of ticks me off that they're not cheaper - you don't get a whole lot of material and engineering for that money, not that I don't like the scoot...
eq1

Postby FLATOUT50 on Thu May 20, 2010 7:52 pm

I'd say that yes, in SEVERE enviorments - Blistering heat or bitter cold - The plastics will show advanced wear with age. And with average environments and extended use the engine and drive train will show advanced wear from mileage. But overall the Met is a much higher caliber 49cc bike that many, and because of it's mileage potential the price stays higher. Which is good for the owner. Most of what I see burned up ECM's - How much of that is due to abuse? Improper charging, overload from hot rod headlights, etc. Or neglect? Long storage or lack of use with improper fuel conditioning? I've never had a lick of trouble with mine. I keep it on a tender when parked and I keep a bit of seafoam and/or Stabil in the fuel. I use it frequently but not daily. It looks and runs perfect. I test drove (2) Wildfire scooters, one would not start without 15 minutes of fumbling on a 70 degree day. The other started up but had a broken fuel guage. I could have had BOTH for $1800 brand new. I left them there and bought the Met and never looked back.
As for what year? After what we all know the latest one's have the most engine potential for performance and life so I'd do that in a wink.
FLATOUT50

Postby papa on Fri May 21, 2010 6:39 pm

06 Met,has 5487 on it and still runs like ut's new. Just keep the fluids right and clean, no problems other than the idle piece, had to replace it, now I need to put new tires on it,it's been a great scoot.
papa

Postby longhairedrockstar on Sat May 29, 2010 6:12 am

Based only on what I've experienced over the years with various used vehicles, I'd say (regardless of mileage) the most relaible ones were ones that were maintained religiously, driven humbly, and not left to sit unused for any real time by previous owners.

At almost 5 thou, my met still cooks.
2008 honda metrolitan - gothic
1981 honda cm400c
longhairedrockstar

Postby Korben7p3c on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 am

I bought my new '09 Met in March of '09. Rode it WOT in town mostly and when out on the country roads, I'd run it around 30-32mph. It always ran 37-38mph since new at WOT. I maintained the oil changes at; 200, 1000, 2000 and 3000 miles and finally traded her off with 3300 miles on my new Elite. Changed air filter at 1800 miles because of dusty riding conditions out in the sticks.

Don't forget to change out the tranny oil too people, I dropped mine out at 2500 miles and it looked very used. I installed synthetic oil at that time.
"Ridetorelax"

2010 Honda Elite 110 in red.
Korben7p3c

Next

Return to General Chat