How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Postby Jay on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:19 pm

You mention transmission oil. Can you tell me where I would find the drain plug and fill for the transmission? I do not recall reading about the transmission fluid in the maintenance schedule in my manual. I should probably look again.
Jay

Postby eq1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 pm

I think there's a little hex head bolt on the left hand side of the scoot, below the air filter box, by the wheel, in that shiny aluminum metal piece down there, distal from crankcase cover toward rear...
2002 & 06 Met, 5 10.5~180
eq1

Postby kink on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:01 pm

FLATOUT50 wrote:A guy who collects empty bottles has one with over 25K on it. Most folks outgrow these bikes long before they wear out. 5K miles probably a belt and variator rollers, 6.5K miles probably tires, 10K miles look at suspension, 15K miles adjust valves...Repeat as required. :D It's a liquid cooled Honda designed to run a long time. Most posts I read or answer on sick Mets are from older, low mileage units with gummed up fuel systems and dead batteries from sitting. Mine still runs and looks new at 1,500 miles.

Best,
FO 50

+

Hello urbanscootin , I found this great forum after cross referencing air filters

Regarding expected longevity,.we have {2} 2002 Metropolitans with nearly 13,000 miles on each of them

New Rear tires about every 3500~4500 miles
New Front tires per every other rear, meaning 2 rear tires per 1 front
Rear brake shoes (pads) changed,..the fronts are needing to be changed soon
{3} air filters changed,..(getting some more soon)
Changed the plug once, probably not necessary, oh well
At least 15 oil changes on each, 5W~30 with Lucas Oil Stabilizer
Run Techron in gas couple times per year
Always run Lucas Fuel Treatment when not doing the Techron cycle
I never run gas w/ ethanol
...same headlight bulb, although I'v been running High for a few years,
(Low burns out after 200 hours or so )

~oh yea, they still run great!
kink

Postby inoplanetyanin on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

A Koren guy Wan rode a Honda Ruckus around the US and 18,000 + on the original engine. Metropolitan has basically the same engine, so it is capable of that at least.
inoplanetyanin

Postby 14huejass on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 am

2007 Ruckus bought in 2-08, has 11+K on it now....
14huejass

Postby eq1 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 pm

inoplanetyanin wrote:A Koren guy Wan rode a Honda Ruckus around the US and 18,000 + on the original engine. Metropolitan has basically the same engine, so it is capable of that at least.

That's the highest I think I've seen so far...
2002 & 06 Met, 5 10.5~180
eq1

Postby vulcan on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 pm

I rode mine 9,000+ miles with normal maintenance plus oil changes every 1000 miles, and it still ran like new. I have little doubt it would have lasted 50,000 miles. I credit high mileage to lots of maintenance, and most of all, leaving it stock. No messing around with air filters, pipes, aftermarket variators, etc. All those things take their toll on engine life by putting more stress on the engine, and messing with Honda's engine design. An engine that is working perfectly, and is well maintained is virtually wear free. Little things like warming the engine up before riding can make a big difference in the long run as well. Failure to warm up an engine before riding probably has about the same effect on engine life as tripling the oil change intervals.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby gfnin on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 am

These little scooters, when maintained, will last a good long time…

If you are wondering how long the plastic parts will last, as an example, take a look at old off the road bikes. Most of them have been thoroughly abused (that is what people do with them.) Take a look at one that is at least 10 years old. What you will see is the plastic parts may be a little faded… some scratches but overall the bike’s plastic parts will be in good shape.

As for the engine… Americans drive cars but that is not the case in the rest of the world. I lived in the Philippines while serving in the military and I saw thousands upon thousands of little 50cc and 110cc scooters. A lot of them had side cars. Some where used (commercially) to taxi people around others where a beast of burden and they would truck supplies from the distributors to the retailers, all in horrible roads, hot –n- humid weather and poor overall conditions. Only evidence of maintenance observed was when it broke … repair it. I witnessed families that would pool their money together to buy a small scooter with a sidecar to be used as a taxi and for them this was a great investment therefore the only way to get your money back was to keep it running. I would see a father come home after working the scoter all day, he would get off the bike and his son would get on it and go back on the road, kept it working for the family all day and night (until curfew.) They did this day after day… no rest for the scooter…

These scooters are little bikes with little engines… amazing lifespan and resilience.

Take a look at the following links for a sample of what I am talking about…

http://www.motorcycleasia.net/images/Da ... ssacks.JPG
http://www.motorcycleasia.net/images/Davao/5onabike.JPG
http://www.keithlane.com/userimages/Phi ... -9792a.JPG
http://www.ussschenectadylst1185.org/me ... gapo-w.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ppines.jpg
http://www.hobotraveler.com/blogphotos0 ... idecar.jpg
http://www.the-tidings.com/2009/100209/flood1.jpg
http://www.marketmanila.com/wp-content/ ... 3/1134.jpg
gfnin

Postby vulcan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am

The paint, plastic, and rubber parts will last forever if you keep the scooter out of the sun at all times when not riding it. You could take a brand new Met, or any other plastic scooter, park it out in the PHX AZ sun for a year, and the body, seat, and tires would simply disintegrate. UV from the sun is the absolute worst thing for any plastic, rubber, or paint. I kept mine in the living room, it still looked like new with 9,000+ miles on it. I did use 20w50 oil, because of the EXTREME heat here, and also put Seafoam in the gas once in a while, to help keep the fuel system clean. I did about 12 oil changes altogether, including a couple before it reached 1000 miles. The Met and Ruckus engines are probably the toughest 50cc scooter engines out there.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby 08metro1129 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:15 pm

My friend had a 2 stroke Zuma that he never changed the oil. The only thing he ever did was change the spark plug and battery and it died AT 15,000 mith very little maintnance. I wold think you oculd exceed that with oil changes, belts, etc.
08metro1129

Postby spoolboyy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 am

You don't have to change the oil in a 2 stroke scooter. It burns it along with the fuel, just a heads up if anyone's getting the idea that they wouldn't need to change the oil in their 4-strokes from the last comment.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby metrorick on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:33 am

i bought my met new at the beginning of june in 2009, did regular oil changes and it had over 9,500 miles on it w/ no maintainense whatsoever other than 3 or four oil changes and the rear tire changed twice. a lady turned in front of me & tootalled it the last friday of august, 2010. i rode it everywhere i went,most of the time fot. it did lose about four mph, but the scoot hummed right along. a new belt probably would've given me those 4 back. i didn't even know about new belts until tonight. thanks. ithink that as long as a honda engine is given regular oil changes, it will run. the numbers of 3, 000 miles to 5,000 miles surprise me, as my met did almost 10 w/out a hickup. i think those numbers must be based on chinese scooters, of which, many probably don't make it that far. all i know is that i miss my met.
metrorick

Postby honkerman on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:16 pm

I've been eying this thread for a while...Uncertain whether to post or hold my peace, but since the topic does not specify brand, I will chime in.

I don't have a metro. The 50cc I had was sold at 3400 miles and was a Yamaha. It showed no signs of slowing down when I traded it in to get my People 150. My 150cc Kymco People has 20,000 Kilometers on the clock, which works out to about 12,400 miles. It shows no signs of wearing out, but I've maintained it regularly (Oil change every 2000 kilometers like clockwork, replacement plugs every so often, and air filter cleaning/changes as necessary) I think the belt may be starting to go since I'm losing a bit of my top speed, but otherwise, it's doing great.

I even strap a gun case to the back and take it hunting.
scootinfool.blogspot.com
2013 Honda PCX-150 (yay!)
2009 Kymco People 150 (sold)
1983 Honda Sabre v45 750 (sold)
2006 Yamaha Vino Classic 50 (no longer owned)
honkerman

Postby spoolboyy on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:21 pm

honkerman wrote:My 150cc Kymco People has 20,000 Kilometers on the clock, which works out to about 12,400 miles.

Awesome. I love it when people maintain their vehicles and take them to the limits.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby yandosan on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:24 am

22,220 miles on my 07 Metropolitan.
Some jerk took my Vino last month so it's back to the ol' Met
and so far she's holding up just fine.
yando was here
yandosan

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat