How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: How many miles on your scoot? Expected longevity?

Postby spoolboyy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:30 pm

@yandosan

Are scooters your only transportation? No cage in your stable?
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby sinnedinnc on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 am

28k on my '05 Met 1, i bought from a guy on this forum. came with 1700 miles on it. just got it back from getting the final drive repaired. (seems all the gear oil leaked out) wasnt too expensive.

13k on my 02 met2 i bought new
sinnedinnc

Postby TexasDex on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm

My 03 Met has about 4.6k on it. I got it last November with 3.6k and have been using it for my normal 12-mile-each-way commute every day weather permitting since it started getting warm again. Just got an oil change and I have a set of replacement tires ready when needed. I expect to put 3-4k miles on it per year, so I'm glad to hear that the Met can last so long. I was somewhat worried by the fact that the odometer only went up to 9999.9 miles.
Not actually from Texas.
TexasDex

Postby Jay on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm

As of today, my Met has 8037 miles. Maintenance = oil change every 2k, 1 coolant change, 1 spark plug and 1 transmission oil change. As of June 2010, it had 800 miles on the odometer.

I expect to hit 10k around June, 2012. I see no reason why the engine couldn't go 50k +++ with standard maintenance.

I'm not kidding. <):)
Jay

Postby trx1 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

been over 25g, finally wore out motor. put used motor in and am still rolling! my hornet is the best!
SCOOTIMUS PRIME Leader of the AUTOSCOOTS. Mission: @ rid the world of the evil DECIPACARS!there objective: take over the world of tranzportation.
trx1

Postby mags on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 pm

i'm at about 10,200 on my '05 metro - over half of those, though, since last may when i assumed ownership of it from my ex-partner. (she bought it new but didn't drive it much, only to school and back. i used it in 2010 for a census job for a few months and put a lotta miles on it, and then since last january, have been using it to run my mobile dog-walking biz, driving 30-40 miles/day.) regular oil changes every 1000-1500 miles or so; new front and rear tires last june; a few tune-ups along the way when necessary, and a few months back had to get the gunk cleaned outta the tank/line cuz it wouldn't start. oh, and a few new headlights. i'm probably due for a brake job soon.

but it still runs like a trooper, and i dog the hell out of it on new orleans' crappy streets every day. it really takes some abuse just in daily usage. my mechanic (cuz i don't do the work on it myself) says i ought to get at least 15-20K out of this engine. of course at the rate i ride it, that will only take me to next year sometime! so i am considering the idea of finding a new-to-me (hopefully a nice not-very-used) slightly larger bike. maybe an elite? or i'd love the sh150i but that's probably a little rich for me. i'm in the gathering-information stage right now, looking at 80-200cc scoots to see what my options are.
mags

Postby vwgrl1999 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 am

9,100 miles on my 2007 Met since I bought it new in April 2008. Regular maintenance is the key; engine oil, gear oil, spark plug, air filter, roller weights, drive belt changed at regular intervals.
"It never got weird enough for me." Hunter S. Thompson
vwgrl1999

Postby inoplanetyanin on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 am

10300 miles. 2009 Metropolitan. Just replaced the rear tire 100 miles ago.
One spark plug, one air filter, oil changes every 1500 - 2000 miles.
Runs the same as when I bought it. The top speed is down to about 39 mph.

Does not use any oil.
inoplanetyanin

Postby inoplanetyanin on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:03 pm

I got 15,550 on my 2009 Met. I came back from Salton Sea ride today.
It runs like new.

inoplanetyanin

Postby Bryan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

A blast from the past, my last entry shows on the first page. I'm at 23,300 now with my 06. Speed had fallen off to 35 tops, checked valve clearance (for the first time) and it was fine, cleaned carb (it was OK but was trying to figure out why the slow speed). Finally checked my logbook and saw my rollers were over 8000 miles since changed.
Very noticable flat spots, changed them & speed back up to aboput 38 indicated-still can't get back to that 40+ I had for the first 3 or 4 thousand miles.
It's been 6 years now that I've been riding the bike, no reaason to think it won't go another 6 & double the mileage again. Looks like a pretty ride you had there.
Bryan

Postby inoplanetyanin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

My speed dropper down to about 37-38. I am on the original rollers at 15,500 miles. The last time I checked them was around 13,000 and they barely had some spots and not even all of them. I did replace the belt though.

I think the drop in speed is also caused by the worn out drive and driven cone plates on the variator as well as the rear clutch/ generator assembly.
inoplanetyanin

Postby hamstrings on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 pm

It might be a good idea to weigh the current six gram rollers on a kitchen or shipping scale and rule them out for sure. Or measure their diameters and make sure they're within service limits. Might be easier than pulling all the pulleys and measuring them for wear.

My Met lost speed, but it was the little triangular sliders on the variator roller cover that were worn. They were loose, preventing the rollers from moving the pulley to the top gear ratio.

Just an idea. Love the scenery. :)
hamstrings

Postby DaBinChe on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:36 am

the main culprits for lost of top speed are worn: belt, rollers, variator back plate sliders guides (as hamstring mentioned), rear tire. Yes worn pulleys can also make you lose speed but you gotta have a lot of miles enough that it would be time to retire the bike kinda miles. Other things can make your met slower but is because of other factors at play like dirty air filter or valves out of spec etc. The thing with top speed lost is that to get it all back the things mentioned above pretty much have to be all new at the same time which rarely ever happens so when one is new and another is not then you'll get faster but not as fast. For example new belt but worn rear tire.
DaBinChe

Postby Bryan on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 am

The thing with top speed lost is that to get it all back the things mentioned above pretty much have to be all new at the same time which rarely ever happens so when one is new and another is not then you'll get faster but not as fast. For example new belt but worn rear tire.

I can confirm, at 29,000 replaced rear tire/Belt/Roller and have broken thru 40 mph for the first time in a long time.
Bryan

Postby suncitysolar on Thu May 14, 2015 6:12 pm

I have a 2006 with 8500+ miles on it. Maintenance is by the book; nothing extra unless it breaks. All maintenance I do myself. If you ride your scooter about every other day a few miles it will last a long time with few problems. Get a manual and stick to what it says. Don't up your headlight bulb wattage; your scoot can't generate enough electric for that. Trust the Honda Gods! :D
suncitysolar

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat