Looking at an Elite 110 this week

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Looking at an Elite 110 this week

Postby RuckusGal on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:53 pm

So yeah, I've read just about everything I can about this scoot. It looks like it might fit into my life where I'd like. Commuting to work, some longer back road rides, some day (or more) trips.

Am looking for a comfortable, quiet scooter that will get great gas mileage and frankly it needs to be a Honda or a Yamaha. Don't like the PCX, or anything bigger. Have considered the Yammie Zuma 125, but not seen one in my budget used. At least not yet. Sat on one new and felt the seat was too hard and too high for me.

This Elite has less than 1000 miles on it and has pretty much been sitting, as far as I know. Supposedly mint, "like new". Asking $1600.

The sitting part worries me, but I am no noob, so I will check it out thoroughly.

What do you guys think?

Any thoughts to add about the scooter itself, beyond the condition described?

Pros? Cons? Etc?
My blog: www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
RuckusGal

Re: Looking at an Elite 110 this week

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:40 pm

I own an Elite 110. See the photo with my name. A very lively, nimble scooter, perfect for urban riding. Just the right size for me to ride, feet on the ground at a light, and not too heavy. Plenty of under seat storage room, plus a shallow compartment in front and a package hook and rear rack. You can carry a lot, including a passenger.

The Elite is very thrifty on gas and very reliable. Fuel injected so the electric start is no-fail in all weather, unlike scooters with a carburetor. Elite 110 is water cooled, front disc brake, very quick off the line and does not burn oil. I have about 4k miles on mine, bought it new in 2011, and love it. I ride April to November, for the most part, change the oil before the real cold weather and keep it on a battery tender with some fuel stabilizer in a full tank over the winter.

Hope the one you look over is in good shape and you get to buy it. I had a Honda Met for 5 years before I bought the Elite and I think for city riding, the quick and versatile Elite is far superior as transportation and a lot of fun. Love the pep and prettiness of this perfect scooter.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby RuckusGal on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks for your comments and I am happy to hear that you love your scooter so much!

I plan to look at it on Monday and maybe even be able to pick it up then. I am considering a 120 mile ride home on it via the back roads. Depends on the weather and my getting a ride over to where it is located.

If not, I will have to rent a van or truck.

I am hoping it is as clean as he says it is and also that it has not sat and deteriorated because of that fact.

BTW, I am posting that this site is "live" again on other scooter forums.

Hopefully we can get some folks back on here and get it going again like in the old days!

:D
RuckusGal

Postby KABarash on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 am

RuckusGal wrote:Thanks for your comments and I am happy to hear that you love your scooter so much!

I plan to look at it on Monday and maybe even be able to pick it up then. I am considering a 120 mile ride home on it via the back roads. Depends on the weather and my getting a ride over to where it is located.

If not, I will have to rent a van or truck.

I am hoping it is as clean as he says it is and also that it has not sat and deteriorated because of that fact.

BTW, I am posting that this site is "live" again on other scooter forums.

Hopefully we can get some folks back on here and get it going again like in the old days!

:D
What I've read about the Elite, you shouldn't be disappointed. As for your 'fears' of it having been let sit, I'm by far no mechanic, but I do know from experience that's not good for our scoots. Get it a good bill of health before relying on it for a long trip of any kind....

As for you getting word out that things here are getting active here again...... =D> =D>
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Postby DaBinChe on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 pm

probably too late now but bring a flash light and looking in the gas tank to see if it is rusty. That is about all you need to look at. Oh, and check the oil level and tire pressure before riding it. Other wise once you get it home just change all the fluids and it will be fine. FI bikes don't have as much issues as carb bikes...most bikes that sit have issues is usually the carb being dirty. Also some sea foam in the gas for the next few tank fill ups will help clean out crap.

Check out my youtube channel for how to's on the elite110
DaBinChe

Postby DaBinChe on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:18 pm

OP are you the gal that can't make up your mind on a scoot and change 'em every year or so?
DaBinChe

Postby RuckusGal on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 pm

DaBinChe wrote:OP are you the gal that can't make up your mind on a scoot and change 'em every year or so?

No, that's a guy over on ADV who owns 18 scooters and motorcycles!

:> :-o ;)
RuckusGal

Postby RuckusGal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 am

DaBinChe wrote:probably too late now but bring a flash light and looking in the gas tank to see if it is rusty. That is about all you need to look at. Oh, and check the oil level and tire pressure before riding it. Other wise once you get it home just change all the fluids and it will be fine. FI bikes don't have as much issues as carb bikes...most bikes that sit have issues is usually the carb being dirty. Also some sea foam in the gas for the next few tank fill ups will help clean out crap.

Check out my youtube channel for how to's on the elite110

Thanks for the advice! What particular fluids would you recommend to replace right off?

My wrenching skills are very limited, but I want to learn to do these things myself if at all possible.

There I will rely on your You Tube videos.

Do you know of an online location where I can download an Elite 110 service manual?

BTW, congratulations on your win! Way to go!

=D>

Are you posting pics of your trip anywhere online?
RuckusGal

Postby DaBinChe on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 pm

I would change the motor oil, and brake fluid. If the gas smells bad then siphon it out, use seafoam with fresh gas. Dump the old gas in your car the next time you fill up the car, this will dilute out the old gas and you won't have to worry about how to get rid of old gas....this is how I get rid of old gas.

The thing only has about 1k miles so everything else will be fine. I know honda calls for a valve check at 600miles, chances are it will not need it but if you want peace of mind 1k mile is the perfect time, I think 600miles is too soon. Mine didn't require one until 15k miles then again at 35k miles of hard riding.

And check out my youtube channel for how to's on the elite110
DaBinChe

Postby inoplanetyanin on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:08 pm

All good advice, above.
OP, did you buy the scooter?
inoplanetyanin

Postby RuckusGal on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:26 pm

inoplanetyanin wrote:All good advice, above.
OP, did you buy the scooter?

Hoping to. When I went to look at it the battery was dead. The seller has been supposedly working to either try to charge it or put in a new battery before the deal is done. I've been waiting a week and a half and I am getting kind of aggravated by the lack of getting it done and communication.

The scooter has only been ridden a hand full of times in 4 years and the seller said he had no idea that it needed to be on a charger if not ridden regularly. I believe that.

I even offered to take it "as is" and asked to reduce the price a bit because I would guess it needs a new battery after all this time.

So far, no answer to my offer. Grrrrr....
RuckusGal

Postby RuckusGal on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:30 pm

All seems to be well! i pick up the scooter tomorrow! Gonna get right on that oil change first thing.

;)
RuckusGal

Postby DaBinChe on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Actually one thing I recommend doing is zip tie the wire harness away form the metal retaining loop that is next to the throttle body. Lookie here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14836&start=105
DaBinChe

Postby EvilNerdLord on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 am

Does this mean you'll need to change your name? Because as a noobie I'm still learning who's who.....
EvilNerdLord

Postby RuckusGal on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

EvilNerdLord wrote:Does this mean you'll need to change your name? Because as a noobie I'm still learning who's who.....

Naw, I've had this name for years. Some day I'll pick up a used Ruck to go with my Elite, but the name stays no matter what!

Riding a Ruckus is what got me hooked on scoots.

:))
RuckusGal

Return to General Chat