Looking For Insurance In CA

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Looking For Insurance In CA

Postby hippieelmo on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Got my bill for my scooter insurance today. I bought it via AAA who then buys the insurance from a broker called Association & Group Captive Insurance Services and then the insurance is from American Modern Insurance.

Got all that?

I noticed that the broker address changed to a apartment address and that the CA insurance license had been removed. I got a old bill out and check the status of there license on the state insurance web site and found that the license has expired.

Looking now for a new insurance company. I have tried State Farm, Progressive and Markel found them all to be so, so. Anyone know of any good ones?
;)
Shea
2017 White Honda Metropolitan
2014 Candy Orange Honda Metropolitan(Sold)
2013 Honda Red PCX 150 (Traded In)
2011 Honda Red Ruckus (Traded In)
hippieelmo

Re: Looking For Insurance In CA

Postby DaBinChe on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:09 pm

I use Foremost, division of Farmers. I pay about $85 per year for minimum liability requirement for CA on each my Elite110 and SH150. But I also have multi-vehicle discounts.
DaBinChe

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 pm

I don't know what your requirements are, and my scooter isn't in California, but I can't say enough about Progressive. Not so-so by my experience. Excellent customer service, very competitive premium costs ( insurance in NY is very expensive as the liability exposure is great with so much traffic), and a terrific website for getting almost anything you need to avoid phone calls so you can get things done yourself.

My scooter insurance for an Elite 110 is for liability only, but a very high level beyond minimum coverage (premiums for many thousands of dollars of coverage even with deductibles are still cheaper than being sued for thousands because you are insufficiently insured), and still it's barely over $100 a year and includes towing coverage if my bike breaks down. Now all vehicular insurance premiums are determined by car/bike type and size, but also age and driving record of the policy holder, credit rating, zip code and other factors. So premium prices vary even in the same neighborhood. Something to consider when selecting a national carrier rather than a local provider. Spreading the risk keeps prices low.

One time my bike had tire trouble (a saga posted elsewhere on this board) and it was late in the day to worry about being stranded. My regular motorcycle repair shop sent a truck to come and rescue the bike and get me home. Progressive paid me back by check even though I did not use the Progressive agency to send out the tow.

Good service, good coverage, good price, and flexible policy claim fulfillment. It's a national company, not local yokels, too. I don't know what the standard for so-so is, but I think Progressive rises well above it.

Hope you find good choices and have sufficient coverage with a policy that works for you. Just added my two cents cause you asked. There's more to consider than just premium cost.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hippieelmo on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks for the info..

Put in for a quote for Foremost, I didn't know they offered motorcycle insurance. I will see what happens.

As far as I can see, I don't have insurance even through I paid for it, as the broker that AAA uses there license has expired to sale insurance in CA.

Progressive- Had them for a long time, but they got experience and some small issues with them.
;)
Shea
2017 White Honda Metropolitan
2014 Candy Orange Honda Metropolitan(Sold)
2013 Honda Red PCX 150 (Traded In)
2011 Honda Red Ruckus (Traded In)
hippieelmo

Return to General Chat