Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

Postby Randwolf on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:51 am

I just looked at my MCO for my 2009 met for the first time and noticed that under "body type" is says "motorcycle". Does anyone know if that is typical for these scooters? Does that mean my met is classified as a motorcycle and would be subject to all the requirements of a motorcycle instead of a moped?

Thanks
Randwolf

Re: Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

Postby tortoise on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 am

Location?

Have you actually researched your state statutes and DMV stipulations? Massachusetts for example classifies SOME Metropolitan models as Limited Use Vehicles . . which have different stipulations.
tortoise

Postby Randwolf on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 am

I am in North Carolina and have read what little information there is on NCDMV's website concerning their moped laws. There was no mention of "Limited Use Vehicles" or any particular scooter/moped make or model either.

Here is all I could find: Must be age 16 or older to operate on NC highways or public vehicular areas.
A motorcycle safety helmet is required by law when operating a moped on NC highways
A moped cannot have a motor of more than 50 cubic cc, an external shifting device, or have the capability of exceeding 30 miles per hour on a level surface.
Not Required for Use
A driver license is not required.
The moped does not have to be registered, inspected or covered by liability insurance.

The Honda dealership I bought it from said it meets these requirements and I've been riding around town and many police officers for several years with no problems. Supposedly, the law concerning scooter/moped is getting ready to change which is what prompted me to look at the MCO. Like most places, this state has lots of Mets and Ruckus and they are not licensed or registered.
Randwolf

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:37 am

For now your Met is not a motorcycle in NC. If the law changes, the easy non restrictions you now enjoy may reclassify the scooter and you will have to comply with insurance and registration regulation. The MCO is for import and Federal transportation agency requirements. States individually regulate motor vehicles, two or four wheeled. Just stay happy until things change or work against change if you feel strongly.

Sometimes it pays not to read the fine print like obscure MCO language. ;)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Randwolf on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks, the bad part of all this is that the new laws are supposed to take effect July 2015 and there is not a lot of information about what folks are supposed to do to get the scoots compliant. NC does not make a distinction between scooter or moped and the law seems a bit ambiguous. I really wouldn't mind so much a one time registration with a yearly tag renewal but if I knew that the met was going to be classified as a full blown motorcycle with license endorsement, tag and insurance I would have just got an honest to goodness motorcycle instead. There is going to be a lot of unhappy 50 cc scooter riders in NC very soon because a very large percentage of them are quite capable of exceeding that 30 mph on the flats thing. Thank you again.
Randwolf

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:12 am

If it becomes effective next month, there will be plenty of explanation. Meanwhile read this:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politi ... 34505.html
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Randwolf on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:52 am

Yep, this could be problematic for a bunch of folks here. Fortunately, I am not dependent on my scooter for transportation as I also own 2 cars and a truck. I use mine to run quick errands and sometimes just to get out and ride a bit. If it gets that bad somebody is going to get a 2009 met in excellent condition for a real good price.
Randwolf

Return to General Chat