Honda Elite 110 hotwire attempt? need disc lock alarm advice

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda Elite 110 hotwire attempt? need disc lock alarm advice

Postby papafz on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 pm

So this morning I went to pickup some donuts, and my scooter wouldn't start. Hadn't had any trouble with it last night. Very strange. No power to the lights or anything. Just dead. Took the car on the errand, came back and started to take my engine cover off.

Noticed that the screws holding engine cover on were very loose. The 2 on the front bottom were missing. Seemed odd, figured it was lazy mechanic last time I had it in for service.

As I am looking over the engine to make sure there are no burnt up wires or obviously blown fuses, I notice the wire between my battery and ignition has been clipped. In fact the sheath surrounding the wires was stripped off, and there is a 3 inch piece laying on the ground.

Not sure why they would put the cover back on at all if they got scared off, but there is no other explanation. I am waiting for police to come take a report before I touch anything else.

Worried that they might have gotten interrupted, or were missing a tool, and decided to come back for it later.

I just looked on Xena site, and they dont have a specific lock for my scooter. I also don't have a printer to try to figure it out myself so I thought I would ask here if anyone knew what size Xena disc lock alarm will fit a 2010 Honda NHX110 Elite? Is there a better solution?

(Btw, the scooter was not locked up, as usually it is parked in by my car. Last night the car wasn't there, so maybe someone saw an opportunity since I was dumb enough to not put the chain on.)

Does this make any sense? Was someone trying to steal my scooter? Why would they take the time to put the engine cover back on?

Thanks for your help!

Phil
papafz

Re: Honda Elite 110 hotwire attempt? need disc lock alarm ad

Postby papafz on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Wellll that was fast. One of my neighbors caught the whole thing on security camera video.

The guy spent 20 minutes trying various car doors, and then disappeared into my carport for 20 mins. I am lucky he didn't just try to push it away since it wasn't locked up.

Since he took the time to put the engine cover back on, I am pretty worried he will be back soon. Going to head to the motorcycle shop for a beefier lock and hopefully an alarm, once the police show up to take the report. Could still use anyone's suggestion on the best fit for a Honda Elite 110.

Thanks again

Phil
papafz

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Be sure to lock the front wheel by turning it to the left and locking it with the ignition key turned to the LOCK position, so the bike cannot be easily rolled. Buy a rain cover or outdoor cover of some type; seeing a scooter is temptation, covering it discourages malicious ideas. Most covers can be locked with a cable thru the bottom grommets. That makes the creep have to carry a cutting tool just to remove the cover. Put two different chains or cables on front and back wheels. Perhaps each chain/cable can be locked to a pole or post. More work for the bad guy. Alarms are only useful if someone is around to hear it and will respond. In NYC car alarms misfire all the time, so no one pays any attention to an alarm going off. I doubt if an alarm will be at all eff Clive, but I do not know where you live or what your neighborhood is like. I know of no special security arrangement or equipment just for an Elite 110. I live in the biggest baddest city in the world. Keeping my scooter out of sight off the street keeps it unmolested. When it is parked in public it is locked as I've described or suggested to you, though I do not cover it if I'll be leaving it parked only briefly.

Don't even bother to ask why criminals do anything criminal. They have low impulse control and little thought for other people. It's as easy for a guy of that mentality to make an effort to steal your scooter as it is for you to never have a thought like that cross your mind to do any harm. There is no reason for criminality, just the will. If you want to avoid the chance of theft, or even successful assault on your property don't leave your scooter in plain sight and unlocked. If possible, rent space or find a friend to provide garage storage.

I actually doubt if your bad guy will return. If creeps had the planning skills and tenacity to gather tools, invent methodology and return to crime sites where they tried and failed, they'd have jobs, not perform random vandalism based on impulse. He might have replaced the front panel loosely so you wouldn't notice and report a crime. It doesn't mean he's coming back. Hang a prominent sign where you keep the bike that says the location is under surveillance. Let him believe he's already been caught on camera. Find a place for the scooter that doesn't require your car to be in position to obscure the view of your scooter. If you can't be convinced that the guy won't come back, get your scooter away from view for a week or so. Though I don't believe he'll return, for sure he'll only try one more time. There are easier bikes to steal than yours, now that you take any steps to make yours not worth the effort. Criminals are essentially lazy and only focus on big heists. Forget Oceans Eleven and The Italian Job. It's a low level street crime, no matter how precious that Elite is to you. Make more effort to stop him and he'll stay away.

Good luck. Try not to worry. I do hope you get the bike running again very soon.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby New2Scoots on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 am

I poked a few metric Allen wrenches through the holes in the front disc on my motorcycle so see what fit. Biggest that went through was 7mm so I ordered a Xena alarm lock with that pin size. Their website shows the pin size, or should, this was a few years ago. I installed a motion sensor light & 3 Browning trail cameras that take pictures or video when motion is detected. At night the flash infrared so it's not visible. My scoots & bike are in the garage but the cars are in the driveway & I had hubcaps stolen a few years ago.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2013 Honda NCH 50
2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
New2Scoots

Return to General Chat