2007 Honda Metropolitan CHF50S Saved From The Scrap Yard

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

2007 Honda Metropolitan CHF50S Saved From The Scrap Yard

Postby mpp313 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Hello, glad to have found your forum. I have acquired a 2007 Honda Metropolitan CHF50S. My friend's father recently passed and he was a hoarder. While cleaning his property we came across the metro. The body was taken off and the seat destroyed. My friend was gonna scrap it, but I love little projects. After a deep clean of the fuel system and running some wire through the slow and main jet. New plug, oil and cleaned out oil screen. It starts first kick, purs like a kitten. Just under 6,000 miles. Still a list of things it needs ignition(bypassed),turn signal lens, tires, missing rear rack and a side skirt. But what it really needs is a title. When I started working on it, I thought since it was under 50cc I wouldn't need to register. My friend is on the look out for the title. When I did the vin check, It said it hadn't been registered since 2010. So I am hoping he finds it. If he doesnt, would it be worth it to use a title claim company or just sell it for parts? Or any way around not having a title?
mpp313

Re: 2007 Honda Metropolitan CHF50S Saved From The Scrap Yard

Postby HelloPitty on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:24 pm

I have not done this myself, but folks claim that the state of Vermont issues plates for some bikes.
I was reading about it here:
http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/ge ... istration/

But congrats on a bike I think is worthy to fix up.
Honda Metropolitans • Vespa LX150/GTS250 • 1978 PUCH Maxi II
Symba • Honda CT110 & C70
HelloPitty

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. I moved your topic to encourage more views and help you get replies or suggestions. I admire your energy in restoring that scooter and giving it new life.

Since vehicles are titled and registered within individual states and different motor vehicle bureaus control different laws and regulations, my first suggestion is that you identify what state you are in and what knowledge you have of applicable title/registration laws there. Give us a place to start!

Asking for title advice generically without any reference to a specific state leaves us all clueless. :-/ and if you are willing to part out the scooter and break it up, why bother to fix it any further or to find/establish title? Maybe forum members in your state could help from prior experience. But they can't offer advice without knowing where you're located. Want my advice regarding New York State title laws? I can help a lot! ;)

Hope you can supply specifics so you can get a good answer.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby mpp313 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:29 pm

GizmoGal wrote:Welcome to the forum. I moved your topic to encourage more views and help you get replies or suggestions. I admire your energy in restoring that scooter and giving it new life.

Since vehicles are titled and registered within individual states and different motor vehicle bureaus control different laws and regulations, my first suggestion is that you identify what state you are in and what knowledge you have of applicable title/registration laws there. Give us a place to start!

Asking for title advice generically without any reference to a specific state leaves us all clueless. :-/ and if you are willing to part out the scooter and break it up, why bother to fix it any further or to find/establish title? Maybe forum members in your state could help from prior experience. But they can't offer advice without knowing where you're located. Want my advice regarding New York State title laws? I can help a lot! ;)

Hope you can supply specifics so you can get a good answer.

Thank you for the replies, sorry for not specifying my location. I am located in Florida, my reasons for wanting to restore this metro is that I live in suburbia. Nothing but houses and the stores are on the outskirts. All the roads are all 35mph. I have a 66cc beach cruiser that I use for store runs instead of the truck. On several occasions this bike has tried to kill me. No matter what speed parts I put on it, its always something. I love the mpg that the bike gets vs my truck. And to me there is nothing more satisfying than taking something that's wasting away and make it go again. So whether I register it for myself, part it out or sell it to someone to use on private property. I know that its safe and reliable. But ultimately I really want to do the leg work and keep this scooter.
mpp313

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 pm

OK Floridians and anyone else who might know. How can we get this hardworking, Met-loving scooter wrencher a solutionn to his title problem? Me, I'd go to an MVB agency and ask them how to replace title for a dead former owner or a new owner. I'm sure lost titles for any kind of vehicle are dealt with every day in Florida.

Hope some answers appear here or you solve it somehow. Best of luck finishing that bike to make it ready to ride.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to General Chat