Hauling Scooter Behind SUV

Talk about just about anything scooter related here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Hauling Scooter Behind SUV

Postby orangeallover on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Howdy! By chance has anyone had luck putting their Metropolitan on one of these trailer hitch hauler setups? They have one at Walmart for $52. http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod_hhcargo.html It is the top picture. Danke schoen!
orangeallover

Re: Hauling Scooter Behind SUV

Postby ScootThis on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:07 pm

Hey orange, i havent hauled my Met with one, but I use to haul 2 50cc motorcycles on one just like that. I also just saw someone with a Vino on one last weekend. The only tip I have is to use some good quality racheting tie downs to make sure she stays put and secure. Im sure it will work just fine. Be sure to check the weight specs on it, some of the real cheap versions say they are only good for 100 pounds. Just be sure to get one that can hold alot and is rated for more then you need. Hope this helps.
0 MPH..5..10..15..25..38...38...38....
2007 Kanji Met
2008 Gothic Met
2006 Subaru STI
ScootThis

Postby wpifarmer on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:22 pm

That looks really cool! Just make sure your hitch/rig can handle the tongue weight.
wpifarmer

Postby vulcan on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

I certainly wouldn't use anything from Walmart to haul a scooter on. The type of carrier you are talking about would work fine, but you will need a better one than that. I used to use one to haul my dirt bike before I got a truck, but I paid almost $400 for it. I sold it for $350, so I didn't do to bad. I saw a guy destroy about $4000 worth of mountain bikes once, he had them on a Walmart carrier on the back of his car, the carrier came loose when he hit a dip at an intersection, dumping the bikes on the street, where they were hit by a lifted truck. It was a really sickening sight. Safe Scootin. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby GIJoeBob on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:58 am

vulcan wrote:I certainly wouldn't use anything from Walmart to haul a scooter on. The type of carrier you are talking about would work fine, but you will need a better one than that. I used to use one to haul my dirt bike before I got a truck, but I paid almost $400 for it. I sold it for $350, so I didn't do to bad. I saw a guy destroy about $4000 worth of mountain bikes once, he had them on a Walmart carrier on the back of his car, the carrier came loose when he hit a dip at an intersection, dumping the bikes on the street, where they were hit by a lifted truck. It was a really sickening sight. Safe Scootin. Jerry.

That sounds more like poor execution rather than poor engineering. :))
I don't fix scooters - I curse at them.
GIJoeBob

Postby orangeallover on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks for your insights on the trailer hitch carrier! If they made a Metropolitan with a 150cc-200cc engine (to look like the Vespa GT still), I could ride it short trips to Austin. But for a 50cc, there are no good routes, but once in Austin the Met has possible routes. Danke sehr :-)
orangeallover

Postby GIJoeBob on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 am

orangeallover wrote:Thanks for your insights on the trailer hitch carrier! If they made a Metropolitan with a 150cc-200cc engine (to look like the Vespa GT still), I could ride it short trips to Austin. But for a 50cc, there are no good routes, but once in Austin the Met has possible routes. Danke sehr :-)

Where are you in Texas?
I don't fix scooters - I curse at them.
GIJoeBob

Return to General Chat