Bicycle Thread

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Bicycle Thread

Postby drewdle on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Currently riding a Kona Africabike Three. This is definitely the hard way to go. :) Three speeds, rear coaster brake, step through frame made out of steel, and a curb weight in the 40lb range. Totally indestructible though, and what other bike comes with a frame-integrated rack and a front basket as stock?
~ Drewdle ~

Previous Rides: Vino 125, Jazz
Currently In The Market
drewdle

Postby Smorris on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Those Africabikes are cool, and made for a harsh environment; hence the heavy duty frame, bombproof gearing and low/no maintenance braking. But you pay for it in the weight.

I looked at the Kona Ute before building my Xtracycle, as well as the Radish. the Ute is a beast, but heavy even empty. So's the Radish. I can't figure that one out. The Radish complete is 55 pounds. The Xtracycle kit is 5 pounds, and the Longtail kid adds another 8 pounds. That means the Radish bare bones bike is a whopping 42 pounds!!!

I built mine on an old True Temper steel frame KHS Summit X that weighed 24 pounds, so my complete Xtracycle with Longtail kit is only 37 pounds, or less than the bare Radish!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby metronid on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

I used to ride my bike up intil I was 29 years old many years ago.
I still have my 3 speed in storage unassembled a greased down.
I loved the old fashioned 3 speeds where the gearing was in the hub.

Occasionally a rider in my area with an added engine goes around our town.
I talked to him and he said it goes fairly fast if he opens it full throttle but it is really noisy.

I remember when all bikes were made in the USA.
I have seen Raleighs Schwinns and some English racers in my time.
Now eveything is made ssome where else.
We are told we are becoming a service oriented type economy.
Our dollar just travels overseas.
They are talking about not having our dollar as the oil standard.

Buy American
Show you love the USA
I own a honda made in Japan.
metronid

Postby drewdle on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 am

Smorris wrote:Those Africabikes are cool, and made for a harsh environment; hence the heavy duty frame, bombproof gearing and low/no maintenance braking. But you pay for it in the weight.

I looked at the Kona Ute before building my Xtracycle, as well as the Radish. the Ute is a beast, but heavy even empty. So's the Radish. I can't figure that one out. The Radish complete is 55 pounds. The Xtracycle kit is 5 pounds, and the Longtail kid adds another 8 pounds. That means the Radish bare bones bike is a whopping 42 pounds!!!

I built mine on an old True Temper steel frame KHS Summit X that weighed 24 pounds, so my complete Xtracycle with Longtail kit is only 37 pounds, or less than the bare Radish!

Awesome! I haven't tried to build my own before, but it sounds like you beat the system pretty good there. I had a look at the Ute too, but it's huge! That's what scared me off. It was actually lighter than the Africabike (aluminum will do that) but the size of it was just mindblowing, for me anyways. It made me think of a tandem without the second passenger.

I have considered, however, looking at the Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub for my bike. That would make the jump between ratios a lot more bearable, and give me a bit more climbing potential. I totally love the hub system though, even with just three speeds. Being able to shift when stopped is awesome, as is not worrying about/stopping to fix a dropped chain.
~ Drewdle ~

Previous Rides: Vino 125, Jazz
Currently In The Market
drewdle

Postby lomohart on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 pm

I also have a couple of those africabikes. They are really comfortable to ride.
Dentists Ventura | Dentist Ventura
lomohart

cops aint cathin his ass soon

Postby trx1 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 am

SCOOTIMUS PRIME Leader of the AUTOSCOOTS. Mission: @ rid the world of the evil DECIPACARS!there objective: take over the world of tranzportation.
trx1

Re: Latest build

Postby trx1 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:06 am

24"marathon with 26"fork :x
front and rear wing nuts
only non "era correct peice is the crank. :(
getting the flashlight holder,
making a set of "hub cleaners"
rear turn signals
front headlight
LMK if u like it
SCOOTIMUS PRIME Leader of the AUTOSCOOTS. Mission: @ rid the world of the evil DECIPACARS!there objective: take over the world of tranzportation.
trx1

Postby mightyjohn on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:50 pm

I have a perfect condition 1988 Trek 1000 that I like to ride.
Attachments
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG (165.23 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
mightyjohn

Postby kunzog on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:58 pm

A "new" Worksman Delivery Bike that I made into a Retro Delivery Cycle.
kunzog

Postby Smorris on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:15 pm

NIce! I love the look of the old English delivery bikes.

I'm considering adding a 7 bar CETMA front rack to my Xtracycle, and then adding one of those old shallow wooden Coke crates to it. I've seen this on some Dutch style cargo bikes, and like the versatility of a flat rack with a removable basket/crate.

I've also stripped my old Burley d'lite and am trying to figure out what to put on it to make a versatile cargo trailer. I want a low flat bed for hauling large objects, yet be able to attach a couple totes low on the frame to keep the center of gravity low for groceries and other smallish loads. I've been perusing all the ideas on various cargo bike/work bike forums/blogs to see what others have done.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby kunzog on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am

I like those English Trade Cycles also. This one is not mine but one from another forum.
Last edited by kunzog on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kunzog

Postby Smorris on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:28 pm

That looks like the baskets made by the guy on BikeForums/Utility Bikes. Great stuff but expensive!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
Smorris
Staff

Postby benjo on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:54 pm

It's kinda sad that my interest in bikes have waned so much ever since I got my scooter. Lately I'm debating whether to part out my mountain/commuter bike on eBay. I'm still hanging on to my road bike for the 40-100 mile Tours in the summer, but I'm starting to lose interest on those too... (:|
benjo

Previous

Return to Off Topic Chat