Bicycle Thread

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Bicycle Thread

Postby localkidz on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am

We got some new bikes last summer, kinda road performance hybrids. The new ones are a FUJI Absolute 2.0 and a Schwinn Ultra Sport II. We already had a Marin San Rafael which is more of a mountain bike hybrid. Other than taking them to the beach, we haven't been very motivated to ride with the warm weather and humidity around DC. We'll probably get out more again in the Fall.
localkidz

Postby trx1 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49 pm

i have 5 cruisers one waiting for me to get it on my b-day, 2 projects, and 1 mtb bike!!
my rides:
PROJECTS:
bike im replaceing:
SCOOTIMUS PRIME Leader of the AUTOSCOOTS. Mission: @ rid the world of the evil DECIPACARS!there objective: take over the world of tranzportation.
trx1

Postby truthseek3r on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

My father found a used scooter in the trash that was in good shape. We took it out, and our neighbor repairs bikes - so he fixed it up top notch (new wheels, brakes)

Since my scooter is having trouble, this works well around town - although it doesn't beat scootin' for nothing! At least it reminds me how out of shape my legs are (:|
"You wanna get rid of drug crime in this country? Fine, let's just get rid of all the drug laws." - Ron Paul
truthseek3r

Postby Archimage on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 pm

This is mine..
It's cool, it has three speeds, but it is also very heavy, and sucks to go up hills with..
arch
Archimage

Postby CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:16 pm

BIKES ARE FUN !!!
heres my latest rider / rat rod bikes build off entry

started as this

looks like this now

1962 Schwinn Typhoon (1 year only frame)
2 speed kickback hub
schwinn bow pedals
generic generator lights
red/white mesinger seat
red slimline schwinn grips
red hunte/wilde crossflag valve caps
chris sabo card in the spokes :D
red/white letter schwinn badge
corvette style bars
chrome stem/crank
clover leaf sprocket
painted / striped schwinn s-7 wheels / tires (with vintage air from 1962 in the tires !!! (not really))
reverse screen wingtip guard
old AMF/Roadmaster rear reflectors

whoever had it before painted it with a brush, stripped the frame and wheels to bare metal and refinished. had to replace the fork due to a bad repair, probably needed from being left outside for a few undetermined amount of years

the 2 speed is awesome for around town, no shifter, just backpedal without hitting the brake and youve switched gears. got a 1:1 and an underdrive for hills.

ive been playing with bikes more than scooters lately :*> still love em both though !!!
alla peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches !!!
CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL

Postby CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 pm

trx1 wrote:i have 5 cruisers one waiting for me to get it on my b-day, 2 projects, and 1 mtb bike!!
my rides:

and a shopping cart !!! :D
alla peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches !!!
CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL

Postby trx1 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:44 am

:)) good call!!
SCOOTIMUS PRIME Leader of the AUTOSCOOTS. Mission: @ rid the world of the evil DECIPACARS!there objective: take over the world of tranzportation.
trx1

Postby chrisdholt on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 pm

I have a Trek 1500 road bike and a Raleigh Inferno full suspension with hydro disc "my baby". The scary part is that I paid more for these 2 bikes then i did for my Metro.
chrisdholt

Postby benjo on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:02 am

I have a 2002 Specialized Allez road bike that I built from a bare frame in 2006. Shimano 105 components all around.

- 47 cm frame
- 70 mm stem
- 42 cm Specialized Zertz (vibration damping) handlebars
- 42-50 Shimano BioPace chainrings
- 165 mm crankarms
- SRAM hollow-link chain

I also have a silver Trek Classic single-speed bike that I'm trying to sell. The previous owner converted it to 700c wheels, removed the fenders, and replaced the handlebars and seat. Very minimalistic, but I miss having higher gears. It's also too big for me anyway. :P

My commuter was built with random parts I had laying around.

- 14 inch Haro V4 mountain bike frame
- Sugino triple crankset and shimano BB that came off my Specialized road bike
- no-name brakes, cassette, and a Vuelta aero wheelset off eBay
- handlebar, brake levers, and shifter from a $2 yard sale bike
- 120 mm stem that came off the Trek Classic
- seat and slick tires off a older bike-path bike.

I have pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =121201968

=)
benjo

Postby JeremyZ on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 pm

What the hell. If benjo can bust a zombie, I guess I can too. There's not much going on in my scooter OR bicycle world these days.

All you bike folks, if you haven't got a folder in your collection, you're missing out.

Mine's a Dahon Curve D3. Bike racks need not apply.
Attachments
Dahon Curve D3 Unfolded.jpg
Dahon Curve D3 Unfolded.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
Curve D3 folded.jpg
Curve D3 folded.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby benjo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I thought about getting a folding bike a while back. Eventually decided not to get one because I would end up riding my other bikes less often. :p
benjo

Postby Smorris on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Good to see you again, Jeremy. I liked the bike when you bought it, and still like it today. That makes a lot of sense, especially for folks who need to store them in small spaces like apartments, or for using while commuting.

As for Benjo, well, he's new here and digging really deep to get his scooter fix. I think the majority of his posts are reviving threads several years old. (I did the same thing when I was new here, although there were no really old threads here yet. ;) He's just Jonesing for scooter info, and will eventually bring up Jeff's "Announcing urbanscootin" thread. :D

Just kidding, Benjo. You're having fun, and we get to see some old stuff again thinking t is new!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby JeremyZ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 am

Those are stock photos from Dahon.

Now that I look again, I realize there are a few things missing. It came with a solid luggage rack, fenders, and special bungee straps made to work with the luggage rack.

The only real downside to this bike so far is the seat. On this bike, most of the weight is on the butt, and it makes my crotch numb to ride on it more than 10 minutes. I don't think I can spring for a sprung Brooks, but maybe some other kind of granny seat with the big butt pad and some springs.
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby benjo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Smorris wrote:As for Benjo, well, he's new here and digging really deep to get his scooter fix. I think the majority of his posts are reviving threads several years old. (I did the same thing when I was new here, although there were no really old threads here yet. ;) He's just Jonesing for scooter info, and will eventually bring up Jeff's "Announcing urbanscootin" thread. :D

Just kidding, Benjo. You're having fun, and we get to see some old stuff again thinking t is new!

Many of the threads I revive are topics that I want to post about anyway. Does this forum really need 2 bicycle threads? :P

Anyway, I can't wait for my foot to heal and the weather to warm up. Scooting has its perks, but pushing pedals has a charm all its own. :x
benjo

Postby big_papa_nuts on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:06 pm

one of 3(soon to be 6), but that's my favorite. i'm actually a bike mechanic for a living.
big_papa_nuts

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Chat