Sweet cell phones. Worth it?

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Sweet cell phones. Worth it?

Postby metronid on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:48 am

I have a employee in my business who is from Korea.
I asked her how the cell phone plans are in her home country.
She told me that there is basically no give away phones as the phone usually must be paid for in full retail.
She also added that after that the plans are about 10 dollars for unlimited plus text.

I said that sounds great.
She added that the phones run around 500 dollars so it is not as good as it appears.
I did the math with her and she did agree that it is cheaper than in the US.

When you need a new phone they just swap the simm card and purchase one off of Ebay or a US retailer.

I have not looked or delved into the particulars of her statement.
metronid

Postby Tatster on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:00 am

metronid wrote:I have a employee in my business who is from Korea.
I asked her how the cell phone plans are in her home country.
She told me that there is basically no give away phones as the phone usually must be paid for in full retail.

In my experience this is how it is in many, if not MOST, countries outside the US. It's buy-the-phone, pay-as-you-go. My wife spent 6 months living/volunteering in several countries in Africa and it's the same way there. You buy a SIM card and slap it in your phone. Every drugstore, convenience store, grocery store, gas station, any kind of store sells the SIM cards. You're not locked into any long term plan - just pay as you go. This is also one of the reasons that they text more than they call in many of these countries. They obviously don't have an "unlimited calling" plan - so sending a text is usually way cheaper than a short phone call.
2008 Honda Metropolitan (Monza)
EPSP #101
Tatster

Postby mash on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 pm

I do not own a cell my daughters both have one, I have one assinded to me from work, I only use for work. I don't use it in the car, would not even think of using it on one of my bikes. I saw a old guy swerving in the road the other day on an old schwin banana Bike, yup he was on his cell phone! only in Alabama :))
84 Aero 50
89 Elite 50
mash

Postby DaBinChe on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:24 am

I'll up one on Vulcan and say that I don't have a cell at all never have and don't see one anything in the near future..even when one was offered for free. I don't normally go backwards but in case of cells I don't see it as moving forward, we were fine before cells made it to the mass market and we'll be fine without it.
DaBinChe

Postby vulcan on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:59 pm

DaBinChe wrote:I'll up one on Vulcan and say that I don't have a cell at all never have and don't see one anything in the near future..even when one was offered for free. I don't normally go backwards but in case of cells I don't see it as moving forward, we were fine before cells made it to the mass market and we'll be fine without it.

Well, there is certainly nothing I can disagree with there. Cell phones do have their uses, but overall, the cons far outweigh the pros, and I have no doubt the world would be better off without them. While I do carry one, that cost me $7 a month, I carry it turned off most of the time.

Actually, I remember doing just fine back in the early '70s, without any of this modern technology, and so did everybody else. So it's a proven fact that we don't really need it. In most cases it has done far more harm than good. By the '70s, we had already developed all the technology we really needed, I think it would be great if things stopped at about 1975....... Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby mash on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:29 pm

oh Crap jerry you did not say that.......here come the judge!
84 Aero 50
89 Elite 50
mash

Postby DaBinChe on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:31 pm

1975! that was a great year!
DaBinChe

Postby Bustin on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Uncle Rico seemed to think that 1982 was the year to lock in on forever........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd4jRk1P ... PL&index=7
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:20 am

People got along fine before the automobile, why not just go back to that lifestyle?

About cell phones, I know I don't miss waiting in line for a pay phone...
Paddy_Crow

Postby JeremyZ on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 am

Well, in my area, cell phones are necessary. When we didn't have cell phones, if I was broken down at the roadside in my crappy old Ford truck ;) someone would know I was screwed and would stop.

Nowadays, no one stops.

If I broke down in 94 in the city and had to pull over to the middle, I'd starve to death before someone would stop to help. That, or get killed because there are no shoulders, just the road and the concrete Jersey Barriers.
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby Tatster on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:50 pm

vulcan wrote:Actually, I remember doing just fine back in the early '70s, without any of this modern technology, and so did everybody else. So it's a proven fact that we don't really need it.

Well for once Jerry and I totally agree! Except you're not going back nearly far enough, Jerry. Using your exact same logic, they did just fine clubbing Wolly Mammoths over the head about a million years ago - "a proven fact". Why the hell did we have to go and ruin that simple life with useless shit like clothes, houses, flush toilets, electricity, and all that other crap. Damn you, mankind...
2008 Honda Metropolitan (Monza)
EPSP #101
Tatster

Postby greidel on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 am

I just got an iPhone and I love it. My previous phone was a Samsung Saga from Verizon, and its GPS sucked. I was pricing a Zumo, and decided that it was worth it to upgrade my phone instead. The GPS in the iPhone 3G S is great. I just took it on a day-long trip and it did everything I wanted it to (I don't use turn-by-turn directions, I pull over and look at Google Map). With 3rd party apps, I can take geotagged photos, track my trips and mark points on maps. Not to mention find the closest gas station. And listen to music, Sirius, Pandora, NPR, etc.

It's not cheap, but it's actually less than my Verizon plan. My employer pays my phone bill because I work in IT support, so cost is not a concern for me.
'07 Yamaha C3
'06 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (traded)
'08 Kawasaki Versys
http://www.scootlancaster.com
greidel

Postby benjo on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:10 am

I just bought an iPhone at a yard sale! My circa-2006 freebie LG C1500 Cingular phone works fine for my needs, but lately the keypad is starting to have issues. Must be from all that texting! :P

I have yet to activate it (using it more like an iPod Touch but w/o the phone functionality) because it's not as simple as swapping SIM cards. I'm on the family plan with unlimited texting and I don't need a data plan. Apparently Apple requires a new 2 year contract with a data plan...
benjo

Postby benjo on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 am

I sold the iPhone for a nice profit a few weeks ago. I'm back on my own phone and now I'm looking into something basic with a qwerty keyboard. So far I'm looking into the LG Neon on eBay. Any other suggestions? :)
benjo

Postby TheBellyBionic on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 am

I realize the topic is a little old, but I'll weigh in anyway. I work for a small cell phone company that mostly caters to AARP members, and even though I get free phone service and a free phone through my job, I still pay for an iPhone every month. The phones that my company sells just don't do what I want them to do. I'm the kind of person who hates to be out of the loop, and my iPhone lets me get email, chat with friends, read and post to Facebook and Livejournal, gives me turn by turn directions, and lets me listen to music and audiobooks and read with my Kindle app. My company phone makes and receives calls and sends text messages (very slowly). If you're not a big fan of technology, then a high end phone might not be for you. But for someone like me, who firmly believes in better living through technology, it's absolutely worth it. I even bought a helmet with bluetooth so I can get spoken GPS directions right through my helmet with no wires getting in the way.
TheBellyBionic

Previous

Return to Off Topic Chat