Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: What's the weirdest thing you've almost hit

Postby ceredonia on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

That creepy possum reminds me of the dad in Beetlejuice. :D
2009 Honda Metropolitan "PenPen"
ceredonia

Postby opiemuyo on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 pm

"We've come for your daughter, Chuck!" =))
"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness" EPSP # 43
opiemuyo
Staff

Postby Tatster on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:21 pm

They ARE nasty. We used to live on a farm in Pennsylvania and we had an opossum that used to come into our barn at night and would eat all of the dry cat food we had out in a big bowl for the cats. I didn't know what was going on for a while - went through a 50lb bag of cat food in just a few weeks, so I knew SOMETHING was going on. Then, one night I went out to the barn to check on the horses. I turned on the light and there he was staring at me - those big ugly eyes reflecting pink in the light. I didn't know who was more scared - him or me! I thought maybe he would roll over and "play possum" (it's some adrenalin-like chemical reaction that shuts their body down so they look dead - so a predator will pass them over thinking they're already dead) but instead he sort of scooted/waddled back out through the hole he had come in through. Nasty looking things.
2008 Honda Metropolitan (Monza)
EPSP #101
Tatster

Postby Bustin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:52 pm

My neighbor had a baby possum for a pet, it was very clingy and actually a little bit cute. She raised it up to full size, and it eventually took off to presumably live a wild possum's life.

There is one spot on my way to work that has a long established, well traveled possum path across the road, and its a killin' zone for sure. Jed Clampett would have vittles awaitin' almost every mornin , if he lived at that address.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby ADRay on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 am

i went right over a squirrel on my met two summers ago.

i get to see all kinds of wildlfe driving home from work through the backwoods of Maine at 11pm. raccoons, possum, skunks, porcupines, fox, deer.
ADRay

Postby ruck_ryder on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:41 am

Lots of possum around here. Caught a fair share in the live traps intended for the coons. They're very docile for being a wild animal. Sometimes they'll just lay there after you get them out. I've had more than one roll right over and let me scratch their bellies...not that I would recommend doing this unless you've handled wild critters enough to know what you are doing. Try this with a coon and you'll pull back a stump.
2007 Ruckus

Ride like you stole it...
ruck_ryder

Postby longhairedrockstar on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:04 pm

ruck_ryder wrote:Lots of possum around here. Caught a fair share in the live traps intended for the coons. They're very docile for being a wild animal. Sometimes they'll just lay there after you get them out. I've had more than one roll right over and let me scratch their bellies...not that I would recommend doing this unless you've handled wild critters enough to know what you are doing. Try this with a coon and you'll pull back a stump.

that's wild... ;)
i'm a crazy animal lover and all..and can see myself scratching the belly...but those TEETH freak me out.
;)
2008 honda metrolitan - gothic
1981 honda cm400c
longhairedrockstar

Postby benjo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am

Dogs #:-s
benjo

Postby spoolboyy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Riding along a river-side road late one night on my old scooter (1984 Honda Aero 80) and I spotted some movement just to the right of my headlight's beam. Peering into the darkness, I was shocked to see a HUGE bullfrog hopping across the road. He was making good time and I passed right behind him.

Definitely an odd animal to see crossing the street. Might not have noticed him, had I been driving my car.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby ronnath on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 am

maybe not in keeping with the thead title of "weirdest" but deer are a big issue here.

late at night, heavily travelled street right here in the inner city, doing maybe 30 or so, i spotted some movement on the side of the street maybe 50 feet or so in front of me. grabbed the brakes and stopped. the buck moved slowly across the street right to left. i started to twist the throttle and spotted move movement back to the right. two does started across. i beeped the horn and they just kept moving slowly.

a few days later, same spot, broad daylight. i was moving the opposite direction this time. i was coming to a stop anyway at a stopsign. the buck just walked across the street in front of me.

a couple months ago i'm riding on a favorite piece of road near a park. heavily wooded on both sides of the road. moving at maybe 45 or so. at the extreme upper left of my vision (full face helmet) i catch a blur that moves from upper left of the visor to the lower right maybe 20 feet in front of me. i look to the right and it's a huge hawk diving on a squirrel on the ground next to the road. the squirrel ducks into the brush at the bottom of a tree. the hawk misses and i ride on by and in my mirror i can see it taking off - still hungry and probably pissed.

from time to time, the odd cat running in front of me. and squirrels, of course.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Previous

Return to Off Topic Chat