Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Postby trev0006 on Sat May 15, 2010 10:09 am

Video - Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Institute researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their nonantilock counterparts during 2003-08. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years. Bolstering this finding is a separate analysis by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute. HLDI analyzed insurance claims filed for crash damage to motorcycles. Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same models without antilocks. The results update earlier studies by the Institute and HLDI published in 2008. In 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that it was looking at the issue in light of the Institutes earlier study but stated that an additional year of data and additional analyses are needed to determine the statistical significance of the results.

Avon tires BF Goodrich tires Bridgestone tires Continental tires Dunlop Tires Firestone Tires Fuzion Tires General Tires Goodyear Tires Hankook Tires Hoosier Tires Kumho tires Michelin Tires Pirelli Tires Sumitomo tires Toyo Tires Uniroyal Tires Yokohama tires winter tires
Last edited by trev0006 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motorcycle and cars video collection
trev0006

Re: Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Postby Bustin on Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 am

I've ridden quite a few ABS equipped bikes , and found the braking performance to be excellent. Then again , I've ridden many, many non-ABS bikes that had outstanding braking systems , which required some skill to use properly, but performed extremely well.

If you look at the types of bikes typically equipped with ABS , and the riders that tend to purchase those models , these stats don't really mean much . My personal opinion is that statistics like this are more about rider demographics and less about braking performance , although I do think ABS brakes can be a positive factor in certain situations when it comes to avoiding a crash. I think they are very helpful on passenger cars and trucks, especially for drivers that only know how to stomp on the brake pedal and hold it to the floor in a panic stop situation.....which is about 90% of the drivers on the road , IMO. ABS transforms these folks into instant experts, when it comes to braking in various panic-stop scenarios .

ABS has previously been available mostly on touring bikes and the heavier types of sport touring bikes , which are usually more expensive , and tend to be purchased by mature riders who typically ride a little nicer (read:safer) than the average rider, not to mentioned being more experienced and skilled. Therefore, they tend to speed less, do stupid stuff less, and wad it up less, in general.....even though they typically log a lot of miles.

ABS is only now starting to show up on the full-on sportbikes and bad-boy cruisers , so expect these statistics to change drastically as the wheelie poppers and bar hoppers enter the pool of ABS equipped bikes and throw those fatality-per-bike stats off with their high speed wipe-outs and drunken ditch dives.....although ABS on sportbikes will put the brakes (heh) on all those the super-cool riders that like to do neat tricks like "stoppies" .
:))
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Re: Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon May 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Right on Bustin. Spoken by a man who as obviously done much on and with 2 wheels. ;)
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Return to Off Topic Chat