Bion x?

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Lately, i have seen a video about an electric propulsion system for bicycles, the system is called Bion x. I was wondering if any of you have tried it or seen it in your area, might be good for urban commuting...

Here's a link: http://www.bionx.ca/en/
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Looks like sometihng of interest on a BICYCLE FORUM.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
User avatar
GizmoGal
Staff
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Brooklyn, Noo Yawk

Re: Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:06 pm

GizmoGal wrote:Looks like sometihng of interest on a BICYCLE FORUM.



Well, i see your point... but the reason i posted it on urban scootin is that i felt that the combination of the electric engine and the two wheels, were closer to a moped, than a Hummer. Scooterist who commute everyday in traffic loaded cities might have come accross a similar powered vehicle. Sorry to be out of the forum's main interest.

Norel G.

p.s.: One of the reason i posted on this subject was because of another link (quite interesting by the way) on bicycles:http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10139
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby Smorris on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:49 am

I don't see a problem, especially in off-topic?

There's been a lot of new electric assist bikes these past couple of years, plus attachments to add to bikes to assist. This seems especially prevalent in the cargo bike community. I have an Xtracycle, and a company makes an attachment for it called a Stoke Monkey. If I had a lot of hills or regularly carried heavy cargo, I'd be all over one of those! Price is pretty steep, though.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
User avatar
Smorris
Staff
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Avon, Ohio USA

Re: Bion x?

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 am

Smorris wrote:I don't see a problem, especially in off-topic?


I moved it from its original post in General Chat to Off-Topic. It is off-topic.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
User avatar
GizmoGal
Staff
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Brooklyn, Noo Yawk

Re: Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:09 am

GizmoGal wrote:
Smorris wrote:I don't see a problem, especially in off-topic?


I moved it from its original post in General Chat to Off-Topic. It is off-topic.



Ok, sorry to have posted in the wrong category :( , from your initial comment i got the impression that any other non-(closely)related topics to scootering were prohibited from urban scootin. When there is communication, there is always a chance of misinterpretation...

I'll be more careful next time.

Norel G.
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 am

Smorris wrote:There's been a lot of new electric assist bikes these past couple of years, plus attachments to add to bikes to assist. This seems especially prevalent in the cargo bike community. I have an Xtracycle, and a company makes an attachment for it called a Stoke Monkey. If I had a lot of hills or regularly carried heavy cargo, I'd be all over one of those! Price is pretty steep, though.



Great system! But if i'm not mistaking it fits only the Xtracycle? (what a beautiful bike!) I've made some research, and the Bionx systems seems to have some weakness (like water infiltration,etc.). I thought it could be a good alternative for my 30 km daily commute with steep inclines. It's great to do the commute on my bicycle, because i get to bypass all the traffic (by using the bicycle paths), and also, the immatriculation fees here, for a moped have increased by 400% ...

Have a good day!
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby Smorris on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Where's "here"? (fill in that profile so we'll know next time.)

Yep, the Stoke Monkey is specifically for the Xtracycle and Big Dummy. The X has become my around town ride instead of running errands on the scooter.

You can also check out BikeForums electric bike sub-forum here. Not a problem discussing it here, but there might be more answers there. I've talked scooters on BikeForums, too and haven't been yelled at.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
User avatar
Smorris
Staff
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Avon, Ohio USA

Re: Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Good evening Smorris,

My "here" is the province of Québec, in Canada. I'll add the info to my profile right away!


p.s.: thanks for the electric bike sub-forum link!
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby Smorris on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Norel wrote:
My "here" is the province of Québec, in Canada.


Ah, I'd love to have been there today for the F1 race! Someday I will come to watch.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
User avatar
Smorris
Staff
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Avon, Ohio USA

Re: Bion x?

Postby stiffi on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I came here to the board because of electric bikes. I traded my Electric bike for a Met with a member here!

While the electric bike industry is AWESOME in my opinion, it's not ready for the masses. I got pretty into it, owning 5 separate models over the last 8 years. Each model, however, had quirks and problems. I would try to fix them, but usually got in over my head. I usually would sell the bike, and purchase a new model, thinking it would be more relialble.

This pattern continued, until I met the Urbanscootin member on an electric bike forum. He said, "you know, maybe you would be better off with an ICE (internal comubstion engine. That's how ebikers refer to them) scooter? I just happen to have a Honda Met I'm looking to trade."

So we made a straight up trade and here I am! I have since sold the Met, because at 6 feet 200 lbs, it was too small. I now have a Vino 125 and am happy as a clam. I take the bike to a dealer for service, and so far, have not found any problems, that he can't fix.

If and when electric bikes ever become more user friendly, I'll be back. I hear Honda is working on one with a modified Insight/Civic hybrid engine. For now, however, the learning curve is just too great.

Hope this helps.

P.S. FWIW, the BION-X is way overpriced for what it is. I can think of at least 5 better and cheaper kits.
stiffi
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Bion x?

Postby Norel on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 am

@ stiffi:

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The reason i had Bionx in mind was because the system did not seem to complicated to install... worked "right away out of the box..." It was my impresion, because my knowledge in motorcycle or bicycle mechanic is not good at all :( . But i'll check the other systems.


@ Smorris,

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the link at bikeforums! Pretty usefull for all type of bikes and "usages", great place to read and learn! Concerning the F1 Grand Prix, well i live approx. 1,5 miles from the race track! I hear them all week-end long... and it gets quite festive downtown!

Norel
Norel G.
Norel
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Bion x?

Postby oxford_scooter on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Management ( the wife ) made the decision to buy an electric bike
but she went with the Met instead - and I ended up getting licensed
for it and using it almost daily now for about 6 weeks for back and forth
to work. Got caught in a rain storm today and I thought I was about to
draw my last breath as 40 mpg winds daum near blew me off the road....

However, she advises me that next spring she is going to buy herself an
electric bike. 2 fellas at work ride them and she knows 2 guys she works
with that ride them as well.

I agree with the maintenance issue - if a problem occurs - who's gonna fix it.
And, in general, I believe a real scooter with working signals and break lights
are safer than biking, especially in the town I live in.

I'll post a follow up sometime.
User avatar
oxford_scooter
Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Oxford, Mississippi


Return to Off Topic Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests