I'm looking for someone to blame

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

I'm looking for someone to blame

Postby ronnath on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 am

Please allow me to piss and moan a bit.

Got the new (to me) ride last July. Street construction in the area limited my scooting forays into the fall. Late in the fall I put the bike away for the winter vowing to make up time this year.

Early April and the rains came, and have not gone away. Those few days between storm fronts have been notable for miserable heat indexes (combo of temp and humidity) in the high 90’s and low century marks.

Refusing to ride non-ATGATT makes for really uncomfortable runs around the city. I actually considered doing without the jacket, boots, and gloves yesterday and just going with a helmet.

Nope, no way.

There, I’ve vented.

Send your guilt donations to me by way of my Nigerian PayPal account.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Re: I'm looking for someone to blame

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 am

I DO feel bad for you. I've put a hundred miles a month on my scoot since April just riding for fun and mostly to do errands. I'd be really irked, like you, if weather ran against me with so much consistency as you've encountered. Hope it changes soon and you get good riding in from now until the end of the year. Oops, I know winter comes early in your part of the country, but maybe there will be some sustained warming just for you, but not those steaming 90s (we've had that here in NYC, too). I admire your honoring your policy of ATGATT. It's really important forstaying safe. Let us know if you get to start riding ATT evcen with your gear on and cheer up.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby ronnath on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 am

hi giz.

yeah, i knew about your getting hit with the hot stuff as well. i have a kid living in manhatten and he was telling me about it a couple weeks ago.

nope, won't do less than ATTGATT because of a couple face plants in the past. the gear is what saved my butt and i'm absolutely gun-shy about going without.

now, about that paypal..................... :D

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby sooznd on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:38 am

Ron-

Bummer on the lousy riding weather! Kudos on insisting to ride ATGATT!

Some mesh jackets are much better at keeping you cooler than others--same with gloves--
Might be a good reason to spend some time shopping in air-conditioned motorcycle shops. ;)
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby Bustin on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I feel your pain, Ron. First Gear Mesh-Tex jacket and overpants are my choice for hot weather , and a Cool-Danna around the neck is surprisingly effective for keepin' your core temp at a reasonable level . Best 4 bucks you could ever spend , seriously. They make a Cool Vest as well, which is super-effective under a mesh jacket and well worth the 30 bucks :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/silver-e ... g-vest.htm

I broke down last year when it was 103 @ 88% humidity here, and took a ride in shorts and a tee shirt , instead of my mesh jacket and pants. I felt like a squidly-diddly idiot , and was actually hotter than when I rode in the mesh gear.... my theory involves sun directly hitting the skin , but whatever , I went back to the mesh gear with the Cool -Danna , and break out the vest for especially hot days.

My weather rant is a little different : we had a very cold, wet spring here in Seattle , which lasted until after the summer solstice ! In other words, the days were already getting shorter by the time we got some decent summer-like weather . :( That sucks...our summers are short enough as it is. Oh well.

It's finally stopped raining and we are having our usual 70-80 degree days with the cool onshore ocean air at night, so it's great riding conditions now. But, it's getting dark earlier , and the mist in the morning tells me that my summer was already half over, before it even started ! :((
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby ronnath on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:55 am

hey, bustin, i was in your fair city last november. stayed at a place called the mediterranean in the queen anne district.

i was bitching to the desk clerk about your lousy weather (at the time rain, mist, cold, windy - sometimes all at the same time). she said it probably would probably be over in about six months. looks like she was wrong.

(a quick aside: my daughter-in-law bought me this to prove i was there)

i've had a first gear mesh for several years but gradually "outgrew" it. i found a "no name" one on Amazon.com with a number of very posititve reviews for, get this, 55 bucks. decent armor and very roomy. like the first gear, really nice at speed, but at the stop signs and lights, it may as well be solid wool.

to me the real culprit is the helmet. i have an FF that seals very well, but even with the vents open, it's an oven. i always crack open the shield to the first notch and that helps a great deal. anything above about 90 degrees and it feels like i'm wearing my own rain forest. i've got a 3/4 but that feels like riding naked.

oh, the price we pay for ATTGATT. :(

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby Bustin on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 am

I'm glad you got a chance to visit us out here, Ron. I've been to Iowa a few times , and enjoyed it .

Try a cool-danna . It cools the blood going to your noggin' , keeping the heat build up down inside the helmet. I rode all day in 104 degree weather last weekend , and although I can't say I was comfortable , I can say it was tolerable. My riding partner was really getting overheated , so we stopped at a shop and got her a cool-danna , and she was raving about how effective it was for the rest of the trip. Jumping in Icicle Creek didn't hurt either....it's snowmelt right off a glacier and runs about 60 degrees even on the hottest days of summer...

Cheers :D
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 jacket that I'll give away once my new gear arrives. I decided to step up and get a Motoport / Cycleport kevlar mesh jacket. Also bought a pair of their stretch kevlar pants.

When the weather gets hot, there's nothing like mesh.
Paddy_Crow

Return to Off Topic Chat