Credit Scam?

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Credit Scam?

Postby yandosan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:06 pm

So I get on my Metro and drive into town. I go into this new Irish bar in town and have a beer. They say they need
my credit card to "scan it." I lived in Asia before NC so
I am still in "cash mode." I ask why I need to hand over the card. He says someone might run off.
So I say "Then what if I pay immediately after each beer and each appetizer?"
He still says "No, this is our policy."
So I comply. I pay cash and leave.
Monday morning, check my bank records online. Surprise--$22 deducted from
my account at this Irish bar. I call and inquire. They say "Oh, sorry, new employee made a mistake."
I'm thinking, how many people did this happen to who didn't check their bank records and got billed twice?
I'm thinking this Fish and Chips dinner is truly "fishy." Should I talk to someone?
yando was here
yandosan

Re: Credit Scam?

Postby Bustin on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Very strange , and I'd be suspicious as well . Demanding a card from a cash customer, and refusing to collect cash as food and beverages are provided, is very, very unusual in that business, as you are obviously aware. Then , to have charges placed on that card , without a signature from you, is also highly irregular. To many weird things happening here , I can see why alarm bells are going off for you .

The standard procedure if you suspect this wasn't an accident is to call your credit card issuer , but if the charges get reversed , they will be happy and it will very likely stop there....allowing the Fish Monger to continue fleecing other unwary customers. In a case like this , local law enforcement might be more inclined to investigate this business and determine if this problem is recurring, and if an actual scam is taking place. The FTC won't touch anything under $2000 , so forget about the Feds.

Keep us posted . :D
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Re: Credit Scam?

Postby yandosan on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Funny thought, if these "accidents" were truly accidents they should come out in your favor about 50%
of the time.
It's Friday 4:32 PM and still not re-imbursed.
Damn, 30 bars along Franklin Street and I stumble into Scam City.
yando was here
yandosan

Return to Off Topic Chat