pep boys

Everything else goes in here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

pep boys

Postby metronid on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 am

I went to Pep Boys last Saturday to get an oil change for my 2001 Honda Accord.
I usually go to Valvoline but I Pep Boys usually looks at the brakes etc while doing an oil change.
I watched the service tech through the waiting area who was about 15 feet from where I was
sitting.
He took out the drain plug and let it drain for around 10 minutes than removed the oil filter.
Next he placed on a new filter and started to insert the drain plug.
I watched him overtighten the drain plug with a open end wrench and then proceeded to
bang the wrench with his hand.
He stopped for a minute and got another open end wrench and torque it even more .

I saw him then go to the service manager who then came to me and said there was a problem.
I said yes there is a problem your tech just stripped my threads probably as I watched him over torgue the bolt.
I was told that was not the problem and he showed me the bolt that looked like it had a heli coil attached.
I was told Valvoline added this because they stripped your threads.

I had a temp rubber plug placed in my car and proceeded to Valvoline.
On the way there I stopped by at the Shell and spoke to Mike the mechanic.
He said that it was not a heli coil but the threads from the aluminum oil pan that came out from over tightening.
metronid

Re: pep boys

Postby mgospo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 am

Damn. Knowing a good mechanic is like gold. That sucks and I hate when lousy mechanics don't want to own up to their mistakes. I'd make a scene.

I always hate to be a jackass, but I've discovered that if I act really pissed sometimes it does the trick. And you WATCHED the guy F it up, so you really have a right to hold them responsible I think. Its the same way with customer service over the phone, I am very cordial and direct at first, but if I have to call back more than three times (which is usually the case) I start to just get angry and immediately ask for a supervisor on subsequent attempts. Usually if you let the top dawg know you are unsatisfied you can get wrongs righted, but with a garage its a definite uphill battle.

I don't change my own oil in my car either, I don't think most people do, they just take it somewhere, even though I could, or you could, or anyone for that matter, its just easier to have a garage with a lift and all do it-- but I think a lot of places think everyone is an idiot and think they can get away with tearing things up and pretending like they didn't cause the problem. It just aint right.

I used to get mine done at Wal-mart if I had some shopping to do and it needed changing. They once lost my dipstick and didn't ever tell me. It wasn't until 3.5K later when I got another oil change that I found out. By then it was too late to hold them accountable (at least in my mind). But I think you still have a shot.

Good luck.
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Postby Bustin on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:33 am

I take my Jeep to a local oil change place, mostly because it has 28 zerk fittings to lube on the chassis , and I don't feel like crawling under there to hit'em all. I keep an eye on them while they are working, mostly to make sure they are hitting everything (difs, transfer case , zerks, etc. ) and not neglecting something that might blow up and cost me $$$ later. I've caught them screwing up more than once (mostly skipping fluid checks on the difs) , but a polite word with the manager generally clears things up without causing a scene. Good help is hard to find when it comes to competent wrench work , especially if you are paying squat for wages, like so many of these bargain-price oil change places and chain stores like Pep Boys and Wallyworld.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby metronid on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I called Pep Boys customer service and received a call back from the Service Manager to see her on thursday(last week).
I did and she acted like she was listening and typing stuff in the computer but was actually making no notes.
She said she wouls stick to her employee who said the bolt was overtorgued to begin with and he was not overtorgeing but trying to get out the bolt.
I said he had the bolt out already and had drained the oil pan and then put on a new oild filter and then overtightenen the bolt some time later.
She said she would not make good and I showed her my filing forms with small claims court and needed her name and gentleman beside her.
She gave me only her first name and his.
I also pointed out that pep Boys has a camera running and she should check the tapes.

I got a call at my home about 30 minutes later saying have it fixed where ever you want and pep boys will pay the bill (left on voice recoreder)
I then received a call 20 minutes later saying bring it in a 130 and they would fix my car .
I arrived at 130 they took my keys and the service manager left to some where.
At 3 the service tech said you need a new oil pan.
At 330 the Service Manager tells me they do not have the part.
I call back and asked if I can have it repaired elsewhere.
She said yes but call her with the estimate

I call back and she says no as they can do it cheaper.
I then get a call 2 days later that they hace the part.
I arrange for Sunday at 9pm
It is replaced but takes 6 hrs to get to it.
metronid

Postby Bryan on Fri May 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I realize it moy not be a practical approach for everybody but I don't let people work on my car for routine maintenance chores, oil changes, tire rotation and simple things. Anything I do farm out gets inspected when the car gets home. I've lost multiple lugnuts (dealer service) and had cooling hoses come off that were not secured (locally owned garage). I just don't think they value my life as much as I do.
Pep Boys has pretty good deals on motor oil for the do it yourselfer, that's about it.
Bryan

Postby scootrs on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 am

Tires, some may benefit from pulling hubcaps off at home before getting tires or rotation. The cheap plastic wheel covers / hubcaps can break a tab when pressing them back on only to fly off next week somewhere down the road.

Doing simple oil changes yourself - if you're set up to - gets ya familiar with other inner workings of the car that could lead you to discover issues before a problem erupts.
scootrs

Postby misu on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:01 pm

metronid wrote:I went to Pep Boys last Saturday to get an oil change for my 2001 Honda Accord.
I usually go to Valvoline but I Pep Boys usually looks at the brakes etc while doing an oil change.
I watched the service tech through the waiting area who was about 15 feet from where I was
sitting.
He took out the drain plug and let it drain for around 10 minutes than removed the oil filter.
Next he placed on a new filter and started to insert the drain plug.
I watched him overtighten the drain plug with a open end wrench and then proceeded to
bang the wrench with his hand.
He stopped for a minute and got another open end wrench and torque it even more .

I saw him then go to the service manager who then came to me and said there was a problem.
I said yes there is a problem your tech just stripped my threads probably as I watched him over torgue the bolt.
I was told that was not the problem and he showed me the bolt that looked like it had a heli coil attached.
I was told Valvoline added this because they stripped your threads.

I had a temp rubber plug placed in my car and proceeded to Valvoline.
On the way there I stopped by at the Shell and spoke to Mike the mechanic.
He said that it was not a heli coil but the threads from the aluminum oil pan that came out from over tightening.

sorry to hear about your experience. but yeah, like bustin said, you get what you pay for...and these guys are paid minimum wage and their managers aren't that much better so the result is, often, are mistakes and no integrity in owning up. it's a shame.

i change my own oil on our cars and scooter. yeah it's a hassle. i get dirty, i have to use kitty litter to clean up my oil stains on the driveway when i spill. i have to pull out the plastic ramps (no fancy hydraulic lifts here). and i have to drag the full oil collector/bin to the local recycler a few times a year.

but i like the convenience of not having to wait in line, fill out silly paper work/disclaimers, etc. i save a few bucks (costco for mobil1, oil filters bulk from dealers). and of course the piece of mind is priceless ;-)
misu

Return to Off Topic Chat