thinking of either the Yamaha Vino or Honda Metropolitan

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

thinking of either the Yamaha Vino or Honda Metropolitan

Postby phillipk on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am

Which of these are more reliable and also for short teenagers and shorter older people to use and put possibly a box behind? More for commuting. Also in terms of changing oil or more reliable? I see a lot of Metropolitan but not many Vinos for sale on Craiglist. I have a Zuma and sometimes going up hills sucks... I am sure either one of these is the same way? Which is faster? Suggestions?
phillipk

Re: thinking of either the Yamaha Vino or Honda Metropolitan

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am

I think the first thing you want to find out as far as seat height for shorter riders and other factors that might influence you for commuter comfort and economy, is to look up actual specs for the Honda Metropolitan or the Yamaha Vino. Look at tire size, brakes (drum or disc?, integrated or not?) weight of the scooter for handling, and similar factors. Seat height is just one way to determine if a scooter will "fit" the rider. Almost all 49 cc bikes go about 40 mph and unlikely much faster, so comparing which is "faster" is not a true measurement. Some of that depends on the type of road (hills, traffic, surface) and the weight of the rider. If you put a box back there and fill it with heavy stuff, "faster" is no longer something to count on. Also, as far as reliability, oil changes, etc, you don''t say where your riding area is--are you putting it away in hard winter or riding all year round? Lots of riding needs more maintenance.

There are other makes and models in the same engine size range, too.

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/metropolitan.aspx (seat height 28.3"
Yamaha https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scoot ... no-classic (seat height 28.1")

After those, you can look at similar powered levels in
Vespa (http://www.vespa.com/us_EN.html),
Genuine (http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy50.html), and

Since you don't clarify if you are looking to buy new or used (is that why you are looking in Craigs List?), you've made it very tough to give advice. For instance, Older Mets are 49cc engines with carburetors, newer Mets are Fuel Injected. probably the same for Vinos. Fuel injection is far more reliable for starting in all weather than carburetors. So I have to interpret "reliable" as subject to your unstated definition. Reliable to start, reliable for ease of maintenance, reliable not to breakdown or to readily get parts and accessories?

Oil changes are easy and necessary in all scooters; are you thinking to do it yourself or pay someone?

You have to clarify your performance expectations and your purchase preferences for new or used, price range you want to spend in order to get better advice.

Meanwhile, take a look at current, new,models and read specs provided in links above. Then if there are still questions to help you decide, specify your inquiry and answers will be easier to offer.

Hope you find th perfect bike for your needs.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby lilpinny on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 pm

The met. It’s a Honda. It’ll run forever with basic maintence.
lilpinny

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:23 pm

lilpinny wrote:The met. It’s a Honda. It’ll run forever with basic maintence.

I tried to answer neutrally so phillipk could evaluate with insight based on the research I suggested, but I thoroughly agree with lilpinny. The Honda Met is the best scooter of any. Well designed and manufactured carefully by Honda, will run forever with basic maintenance, like he said, and it is a terrific fun bike for teen riders, and older riders, as well. A sturdy commuter bike for city streets, too. Better resale value, easy to get parts or accessorize.

When I was done with my Met, my very first “learning” scooter that I enjoyed for several years and thousands of miles, I bought another Honda scooter, just a bit more powerful, because of the confidence and fun factor of the Met.

Very few regret owning a Met. Lilpinny gives good advice.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby lilpinny on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 am

I know... I just jumped to the chase. :)
lilpinny

Postby KABarash on Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm

GizmoGal wrote:Very few regret owning a Met.

I'd agree, I do however regret letting my Met go.
The Vino is as well a great bike, fuel filler location will make it difficult to mount a box or crate on the rear.
I've been riding a Buddy 150 for 9 years now and am still enamoured with it at every ride.
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions