New Metro cost

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

New Metro cost

Postby montollio on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:40 pm

I am thinking of going to Honda and buying a new Metro. What do you think I can get the price down to, or is it non negotiable?
montollio

Re: New Metro cost

Postby honkerman on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but since no one has answered, I will.

Almost everything is negotiable in life. Death, not so much, but that's a bit morbid.

Anyway, the Mets sold poorly last year. Dealers have 2009's still in stock. You are in prime position to negotiate. Do it before gas prices spike again, then you'll have far less bargaining room.
scootinfool.blogspot.com
2013 Honda PCX-150 (yay!)
2009 Kymco People 150 (sold)
1983 Honda Sabre v45 750 (sold)
2006 Yamaha Vino Classic 50 (no longer owned)
honkerman

Postby TheWalkman on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am

I bought my Met in April for $1900 out-the-door.

Good luck!
TheWalkman

Postby ronnath on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 pm

you didn't get hurt, walkman. the local honda shop is still advertising new 09's for 1699 right up to literally today. add ttl (tax, title, license) and you're getting awfully close to what you paid.

enjoy your met and ride happy.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby TheWalkman on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

A friend told me today he saw a local Honda dealer (Richmond, VA) with a sticker of $1800 but I wonder how many junk fees there were planning to add on.

I'm happy with the $1900 price - the dealer did a nice job and has to make a living - but I'm guessing the 2010's are on the way and the dealers want to clear some inventory.
TheWalkman

Postby ronnath on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:36 am

TheWalkman wrote: ............(Richmond, VA) ..............

............but I'm guessing the 2010's are on the way and the dealers want to clear some inventory.

richmond is a nice town - had a daughter that lived there several years ago and we visited several times.

about the '10 models. word is there isn't going to be one. consider, if you will, the so-called model year is almost over as honda tended to trot the next year's models in mid-fall. anyway, word on the street is that honda is skipping a '10 model of the met and will be coming out with '11s sometime later this year.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby jdelamater on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 am

bought an 07 model in 08, but it was surplus never used. dealer just wanted to get rid of it - $1500. Deals are out there.
jdelamater

Postby vulcan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 pm

You should easily be able to get a new '09 Met for $2000 or less out the door. If they want more, and won't negotiate, just get up and leave. I've done it many times, gone to another dealer and got what I wanted, only to get a call from the first dealer that wouldn't deal telling me they changed their mind. It is a buyers market right now on pretty much anything non essential, and bikes are at the top of the list. As long as the economy remains in the toilet (unemployment here is STILL going up) and gas prices stay down, it will stay that way. Dealers have to sell bikes or go out of business. And the longer they sit on them, the less they are worth.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby khakuda on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:12 am

My dealer tells quoted me $100 above MSRP - $2,150 for a blue/white Metro. When I laughed and asked why a model that's been sitting on the floor for over a year is ABOVE the MSRP on Honda's webpage, he backtracked and said, "Well, there is a $200 rebate through the end of the month, so it's effectively $1950". I assume he's referring to the Honda bonus bucks offer good through year end?

Tired of games and don't want to be ripped off. What is a fair price for this thing out the door?
khakuda

Postby honkerman on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:14 pm

khakuda wrote:My dealer tells quoted me $100 above MSRP - $2,150 for a blue/white Metro. When I laughed and asked why a model that's been sitting on the floor for over a year is ABOVE the MSRP on Honda's webpage, he backtracked and said, "Well, there is a $200 rebate through the end of the month, so it's effectively $1950". I assume he's referring to the Honda bonus bucks offer good through year end?

Tired of games and don't want to be ripped off. What is a fair price for this thing out the door?

If they are willing to go down to 1950 OTD, that's not too bad. At this point, if it were me, I would not pay more than that OTD. Considering that you're getting a two year old model that's been sitting in a showroom for about that long, it's not worth it to give them a whole lot of extra.

I speak as one who was ripped off by a dealer, not knowing better at the time, when I purchased my first scooter. When I purchased my second scooter, I was more fairly treated by the dealer in that transaction. Being better armed with knowledge helped.

What you might do is look at the KBB price for a 2009 Met. From there, you may be able to talk the dealer down. Of course, you are dealing with a new machine as opposed to used, but if you take the KBB value of $1375 (for my area in PA), if you pay 1950 OTD, that's an immediate depreciation of almost $600. That kind of depreciation should give one pause. Granted, the KBB prices for motorbikes do not allow for mileage or condition, which would change the value; however, according to their disclaimer, the price listed is the max you should pay and mileage/condition should only detract from it...that being said, paying almost $600 over KBB Value might be ill advised.
scootinfool.blogspot.com
honkerman

Postby khakuda on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:08 pm

honkerman wrote:
khakuda wrote:My dealer tells quoted me $100 above MSRP - $2,150 for a blue/white Metro. When I laughed and asked why a model that's been sitting on the floor for over a year is ABOVE the MSRP on Honda's webpage, he backtracked and said, "Well, there is a $200 rebate through the end of the month, so it's effectively $1950". I assume he's referring to the Honda bonus bucks offer good through year end?

If they are willing to go down to 1950 OTD, that's not too bad. At this point, if it were me, I would not pay more than that OTD. Considering that you're getting a two year old model that's been sitting in a showroom for about that long, it's not worth it to give them a whole lot of extra.

I speak as one who was ripped off by a dealer, not knowing better at the time, when I purchased my first scooter. When I purchased my second scooter, I was more fairly treated by the dealer in that transaction. Being better armed with knowledge helped.

What you might do is look at the KBB price for a 2009 Met. From there, you may be able to talk the dealer down. Of course, you are dealing with a new machine as opposed to used, but if you take the KBB value of $1375 (for my area in PA), if you pay 1950 OTD, that's an immediate depreciation of almost $600. That kind of depreciation should give one pause. Granted, the KBB prices for motorbikes do not allow for mileage or condition, which would change the value; however, according to their disclaimer, the price listed is the max you should pay and mileage/condition should only detract from it...that being said, paying almost $600 over KBB Value might be ill advised.

Thanks for the really thoughtful response! Showing my complete naivete, I didn't even think of looking at KBB for a new (well, not so new in this case) scooter. Great advice. It's $1375 in my area (CT), too, so your analysis is not only helpful, it's spot on in my case.

I suppose I can try to negotiate with him using your suggestion, but I'm sure he's not going anywhere near that price. Maybe I should just take a look at craigslist and pick up a lightly used, already depreciated one if I can. There seem to be quite a few Yamaha Vinos listed, especially the older 2 stokes, but not so many Metopolitans, so it may take awhile. No hurry, though, since like PA, it will soon be too cold/snowy to ride anyway.

Considering I drive a 1994 Nissan that's worth about $2,500 and is a lot safer and more useful for someone who deals with New England weather, it does seem silly to spend that much on a very limited mode of transportation.

Thanks again for taking the time to give such a complete analysis to a total stranger!
khakuda

Postby honkerman on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Well...Here some of us are stranger than others.... :D

In any event, the Vino is a good and capable scoot. It has more peppy acceleration than the Met, but is a couple MPH slower on the top end. I started out on one, and I actually prefer its looks to those of the Met. The gas cap is just behind the seat, which I found convenient, though it can pose problems for putting on a top case.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a scooter to offset your cage. Yes, the cost of a new scooter (of any quality) can be a little on the hefty side, but through regular use, the cost savings over the long term can be significant. They are more versatile than you might think at first. With a top case or a crate and some saddlebags, you can do some serious hauling, whether it be for groceries, fishing, hunting, traveling, etc. The travel won't be terribly fast, but if you plan your time right, it won't be an issue.

One other thing to bear in mind is that meteorologists are forecasting a warmer than usual winter (not that they are ever right), which, if they are correct, could mean more scooting opportunities during the warmer days.
scootinfool.blogspot.com
honkerman

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions