84 Spree Elite vs a chinese scooter

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

84 Spree Elite vs a chinese scooter

Postby ratherbescooting on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm

We found a nice old 84 Honda Spree Elite localy for a good price, told it runs excellent, well maintained/everything works as it should. My wife is uncertain about the quality of the Chinese scoot she rides now. I know she isnt impressed with the brakes or the comfort of the seat, she does however like the looks of the Chinese scooter. She loves my seat and how quiet my Met is. Unfortuantly the Spree is 2 stroke with oil injection, I cant remember how loud/quiet those are anymore. I am sure the quality is better. Any thoughts about one that old and how noisy it is ect. Nothing is modified on either the Chinese or Spree scooter. I am due to call him back after 7pm tonight. Mike and Michele T
2004 kiwi green/white Metropolitan (mine)
2008 yy50qt blue/silver/black chinese scoot (wife's)
ratherbescooting

Re: 84 Spree Elite vs a chinese scooter

Postby ratherbescooting on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Nevermind, she decided she doesnt like it enough to even go look at it, between the 2 cycle engine and looks, she decided to pass on it. Wish she liked the looks of the Met, but she likes that more modern styling. Sure wish Honda would do a 3rd scooter model that has the more modern looks like the Chinese ones. Maybe if gas goes thru the roof again. Went up from 2.46 to 2.69 today, for what reason I have no idea.
ratherbescooting

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Hopefully, your wife's sleek Chinese scoot will keep running and if not, you will somehow get parts or service for it. Chinese scooters in general do not last long. Soon enough something breaks or dies and there is despair and frustration. Wasted money and no riding time is the norm, though I hope it is not true for your own experiences.

Your wife may yet see the wisdom of a reliable scooter with a good reputation like the Met over selecting for styling alone. I can see why a noisy,smelly 2-stroke might not be a featured choice, but any Met compared to most any Chinese scoot will give much durable fun and very easy maintenance. Reject the Spree, if it doesn't seem right for you, but look for another Met. Other nice stylings can be found among Genuine Buddy scooters, so they may have more appeal for your wife and are quite well made. Look into those and maybe the more modern look of those will get the nod.

Priorities tend to sort themselves out If you buy your scoot to look a certain way or you buy it to ride long and trouble-free.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby ratherbescooting on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Thankfully I am a small engine mechanic by trade for a large lawn and garden dealership here in town, atleast for the moment, fall lay offs are coming soon and I will be looking for a more stable job once again. Trying to look for places I can ride the Met to. I will say my Met is much more quieter over her air cooled 4 stroke chinese thing. She likes it other than the seat needs more cushion and I need to put new rear brake shoes on it. Unfortunatly the Chinese invasion is here to stay for now. With unemployment at all time highs, cost of living up and incomes down, cheaper models will continue to sell. I have one of the few Mets I have seen on the road localy, but I see plenty of the cheaper scoots all day long. If I had the coin I would get her one of the newer Vespa modern scoots. Just has to be 4 cycle and under 50cc for now. Mike
ratherbescooting

Postby alx101598 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:25 am

Hmmm...I will mention that I have a 1984 Honda Aero 125 thats a two cycle. Its not noisy or smelly. Its a fun scoot.
1984 Honda Aero 125
2003 Honda Reflex "Yellow Scoot"
alx101598

Postby sooznd on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:08 am

The new Honda Elite might have styling that appeals to her more, if she does not care for the retro styling of the Met.

My first scooter was a 2003 2 stroke Yamaha Vino, it was not noisy either & didn't smoke r like some of the Stellas I have ridden with. 2 strokes have more of a buzzing sound, higher pitch than the whirring sound of the Met.
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby spoolboyy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Two stroke's get a bad rap imho. My '84 Aero 80 was a two stroke that purred quietly and had great low and mid range power.

Most modern (80s and up) 2 stroke engines are MUCH quieter and more well-behaved than an engine from weed wacker or chain saw which a lot of people think of when they think of 2 stroke motors.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby ratherbescooting on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, I got given an 02 blue/white met in sad but saveable condition today from the gentleman I got my Kiwi green one from. Current plan is get her back to someone new condtion and keep around as a spare. Maybe I can get her to ride it and like the Met over that Chinese thing she has. She does like the new Elite Honda BTW, but she has no interest in getting her MC license right now, so under 50cc she must stay for now. Mike
ratherbescooting

Postby vulcan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 pm

I love 2 strokes, and recently bought a new 2 stroke Stella. I love the way it sounds, and you don't see or smell any smoke when riding it, but you do if you stand behind it. But, I'm a mechanic, and love all the noises and smells that go with internal combustion engines. If she likes the look of the Chinese scooter more, look at the Kymco lineup. They have a 50cc scooter called the Agility that has lines similar to a Chinese scooter, only much higher quality. It also costs less than a Met. Be careful when buying any old Japanese scooter. They were very high quality, but many of them are worn out or damaged from sitting by now, and very few parts are available for them anymore.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby gfnin on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:38 am

The main issue I have with 2 stroke engines is that they smoke, they use more fuel, and if you change altitude you have to re-jet them. Other than that they are the simplest engines around, not much in the way of maintenance. No oil changes or valve adjustments but you do have to periodically clean the exhaust pipe (due to carbon build up) and you should always carry with you an extra set of plugs (just in case).
gfnin

Postby vulcan on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 pm

The simplicity is mostly why I love them, though I do admit I like the revvy powerband and exhaust smell. That is a matter of taste. Some people love the smell of a fine cigar, or a pipe. Others hate smoke of any kind. To me it just comes down to personal choice on that one. But back to simplicity, my main reason for liking them so much. The 150cc 2 stroke in my Stella can be completely rebuilt with new cylinder, piston, rings, and assorted gaskets, for under $300, and it can be done literally in a couple of hours if you are in a hurry. It can even be done beside the road if you have the parts and tools. Try that with an OHC 4 stroke.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:03 am

When I'm in the vicinity of someone on a two smoker, I have to breathe the exhaust from their "personal" choice.
Paddy_Crow

Postby ratherbescooting on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Some of the new 2 strokes, when propely mixed or propely injecting the oil, burn really clean compared to the clouds of blue exhaust from older ones. We ended up getting a 2nd parts Met from the guy I bought mine from. I almost have it road ready for my wife to ride. We will be selling the Chinese scoot soon, probably in the spring is my guess. Mike
ratherbescooting

Postby Smorris on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Even my piston-ported 180 Supersport doesn't smoke much with the modern semi-synthetic oils. It is supposed to be mixed at 5% (compared to 2-3% on more modern 2-strokes) and doesn't smoke as much as my 50:1 (2%) weed whacker.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 am

Engines don't have to have visible smoke coming out of the exhaust to smell bad or to be polluting heavily. There's a reason two strokes are destined for extinction. Emissions are off the charts. It's only a matter of time before you don't see them in lawn equipment any longer.

Third world countries continue to allow them to be built and used. At some point, they'll realize what they're doing to their environment.
Paddy_Crow

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions