NEW BUYER QUESTION

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

NEW BUYER QUESTION

Postby SkipperScooter on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 am

HELLO SCOOTER WORLD!

FOUND A 2009 MET WITH 452 MILES. THE SELLER INSTALLED AN AFTER MARKET KN KAIKU VARIATOR WITH 7 GRAM WEIGHTS WITH BLUE CLUTCH SPRINGS (NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT THAT MEANS...) SUPPOSEDLY IT GOES FASTER THAN THE AVG 40 MPH. ALSO A FRONT BASKET WAS INSTALLED. OH AND THE WARRANTY IS UP. THE SELLER IS OFFERING $1500. NOW...HAVING SAID ALL THAT I KELLY BLUE BOOKED THE SCOOTER AND THE RETAIL PRICE IS $1375. I AM A JUST BREAKING INTO THE SCOOTER WORLD AND THIS WILL BE MY FIRST ONE! HAVE DONE A DECENT AMOUNT OF RESEARCH AND THIS OFFER IS ENTICING. HOPING TO GET SOME ADVICE FROM YOU SEASONED SCOOTERERS! THANK IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP.

CHEERS!

SKIPPERSCOOTER
SkipperScooter

Re: NEW BUYER QUESTION

Postby oxford_scooter on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 pm

The red flag to me is this variator modification, and the warranty issue.

As I understand it if the modifications aren't done correctly, or with cheap parts will end up
costing you another $250 or so to have corrected.

Shop around and for another $200 you can probably weasel a brand new one out the door
that would include full warranty. The extra 2 to 3 MPH aren't worth the headaches of these
mods -

I bought mine in June and have 1400 miles on it - I drive it daily - and I love it.
oxford_scooter

Re: NEW BUYER QUESTION

Postby vulcan on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:19 am

I have to agree, modding the Met is just asking for it, especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing and what you want to wind up with. Honda has already gotten about all you can reliably get out of the 50cc motor. Performance wise, anything you gain in one place will be lost somewhere else. Stock, the Met is stone reliable, I put over 9000 miles on mine before I sold it, all at WOT, and it never missed a beat.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions