NEW to Scooter: Need some help on buying.

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

NEW to Scooter: Need some help on buying.

Postby EZC on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi All,

I found this post on craigslist.
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1972821769.html

The person has 2 Met, one 2007 with 100miles for $1495 and 2006 with 700 miles for $1350.

Is this a good deal? I am new to this scooter world.
If not, can someone help me find some good deals (or decent one) in Boston?

Is a 4 yr old scooter going to have problems?
What signs should I look for if I am trying out a used scooter for issues?

Thanks. Guys.
EZC

Re: NEW to Scooter: Need some help on buying.

Postby spoolboyy on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 am

The pricing sounds reasonable on both counts, not sure what the scooter market is like where you live.

You should definitely RIDE the scooters. See if anything feels odd about them. No rattling or scraping sounds. Honda metros are very quiet scooters if the engine's haven't been modified. One thing I always check is the electronics. Make sure the headlights, turn signals, blinker indicator lights, gauge lights and all such things work well. Ask if the bikes have ever been wrecked or laid down. Inspect the bikes for signs of damage, scratches on the plastics (especially leading edges), or the muffler. Often if a bike has been wrecked, the muffler may be scratched or even rusted. The Craigslist pics look very clean and the bikes have likely spent a lot of their lives in a garage, not being ridden.

Ask the seller about the scooters' histories, and always, ALWAYS ensure the owner has the title, the title is in their name and that the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title.

The 2006 and up mets had a slightly better powertrain than 2005 and before models, so thats a good thing. The pictures make the bikes look absolutely flawless, so I would wager they had a good home but they just didn't get used enough. Since you're headed into winter, you might be able to strike a deal if they sit on CL for a few days.

Good luck with your scooter hunt, regardless of whether you go for these bikes or something else.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby uncleralph on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 am

spoolboyy wrote:Ask the seller about the scooters' histories, and always, ALWAYS ensure the owner has the title, the title is in their name and that the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title.

This depends on where you live. In some states, such as Maryland, the stae does not issue titles for scooters less tha 50cc.
uncleralph

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:50 am

uncleralph wrote:
spoolboyy wrote:Ask the seller about the scooters' histories, and always, ALWAYS ensure the owner has the title, the title is in their name and that the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title.

This depends on where you live. In some states, such as Maryland, the state does not issue titles for scooters less than 50cc.

Ditto for NY State. There is no title certificate for a Met in NY. But NY does require a Met to be registered with the DMV (its class of registration is "moped" not "motorcycle") and to display a rear plate and requires annual inspection (sticker issued by authorized motorcycle inspection station, displayed on the left front wheel fork) and proof of liability insurance. Comply or the scooter will be confiscated!

If buying a Met in NY, the registration can be used to transfer ownership by the owner signing the back and the new owner re-registering with a bill of sale and the other proofs.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby spoolboyy on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Good point on the state titling laws you two.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby EZC on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:33 pm

By the way, can you sit two person on the Met?
EZC

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:23 pm

EZC wrote:By the way, can you sit two person on the Met?

NOT recommended and not intended use of the Met!! Somewhat dangerous and definitely illegal on roads/streets in most states (ex.: NY.) Lotsa luck getting the poor thing to roll along nicely with two adults on that seat intended for one, with the scooter operator sitting unnaturally forward and cramped, impairing good steering, control and vision, the passenger holding on to what?, and definitely challenging the merely adequate brakes if you do get it up to any speed worth riding at.

Use Search to find the same answer to this question many times on the forum. Some here will say ride the way you want, but 2 up on a little Met is not a safe idea.

If you're taking a little kid for a ride (wearing a helmet, of course) it might be more comfortable, but not any safer.

Have fun with your new scooter. You will love it!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby EZC on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks for your response.

I decided to get this scooter today.

Does anyone know where the vin number is located. So, when I pick it up I can double check with the docs.
EZC

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Service Manual says VIN is stamped on the left side of the frame, Flip open up the cover in the footwell where the gas fill is and look across from the right side of the bike over to the left side on the frame. Should b there. I also have a label on the inside of the leg shield that has the model number (CHF50) and the VIN, but if that label is gone or peeled off, you can look at the stamp on the frame as directed.

Hope that helps and you can find the VIN easily. Good luck closing the deal and ride safe getting it home!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby andtokyo on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:33 pm

EZC wrote:By the way, can you sit two person on the Met?

You can definitely fit 2 people on a Met although the maximum capacity for the Met is 277 lbs.
However if you're Asian the sky is the limit.
andtokyo

Postby spoolboyy on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Wow...is that five people with only two helmets? Crazy.
07 Yamaha Vino 125
84 Honda Aero 80 (sold)
spoolboyy

Postby EZC on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 am

GizmoGal wrote:Service Manual says VIN is stamped on the left side of the frame, Flip open up the cover in the footwell where the gas fill is and look across from the right side of the bike over to the left side on the frame. Should b there. I also have a label on the inside of the leg shield that has the model number (CHF50) and the VIN, but if that label is gone or peeled off, you can look at the stamp on the frame as directed.

Hope that helps and you can find the VIN easily. Good luck closing the deal and ride safe getting it home!

Closed the deal, the guy delivered it. So, no worry of getting it home. The VIN is on the leg shield.

Thanks for the help Everyone.
EZC

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions