Big Guy looking to buy a scooter

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Big Guy looking to buy a scooter

Postby griffindj on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 am

I'm 6'4 and usually float just under 300lbs. I used to ride an Suzuki SV650S for about three years and have my M class. Last month, while in the Bahamas I rented a scooter and rode two up with my girlfriend who weighs probably 150lbs and I was shocked at how well it handled. I forget the name of the scooter but I think it was 150cc's and we got up to around 40mph and it was a blast.

I live in a suburb of DC and work downtown. I don't think it's realistic to drive a scooter through morning rush hour, but I'm considering the idea of leaving it parked at work and taking public transportation in. Then I'd have the scooter to ride around at lunch time and after hours. I could also leave it at home and drive it to campus which is about 5 miles from home. I have always loved the VESPA's styling and the Metropolitan looks pretty similar and is about half the price.

So question is whether or not the metropolitan will work for me with my weight. I figure if a 150cc can handle me and my girlfriend then a 49cc could handle just me. If you don't think it can then are there any other scooters out there at a similar price and style as the met but at 150cc?

Secondary question, is anyone familiar with the scooter parking laws in DC? I see a vespa parked outside my office everyday on the sidewalk. It's just chained to a tree and I assume they are never ticketed. I've never checked to see if they have plates but could that be why they are able to park on the sidewalk? No more parking tickets is a big incentive. Thanks for your time.
griffindj

Re: Big Guy looking to buy a scooter

Postby tortoise on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

griffindj wrote:scooter parking laws in DC

Too lazy to Google?
tortoise

Postby eggman on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Howdy,

My weight is close you yours, Griffindj. I suspect that guys like us are likely over the weight capacity for a little 49cc scoot. Try sorting 'round Honda or Yamaha's website's for specs. Good luck.

PS: I use a Honda Sh150i for commuting and errands. I do just fine with it.
eggman

Postby Bustin on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm

You could ride a Met , but you might want to watch the classifieds for an Elite 80 . It would accommodate a big guy a bit better than a Met , and have a little more power for hills.

Good luck ! :D
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions