lack of info on a scooter for sale... sketchy?

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

lack of info on a scooter for sale... sketchy?

Postby seafea on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Heya!

I found a guy on Craigslist who is selling a scooter for $500, with the possiblity of 'going down on the price some or accepting a trade and some cash'. He lists the, mileage at 300 and implies that it's fairly new (used the phrase "brand new") He listed a phone number as well.

But when I emailed wanting more info (mileage, make/model), he just told me to come and check it out, and that he had gotten lots of responses so far.

I'm already wary. At this point, I'm thinking I might set up a meeting, (bringing no cash, of course), and check it out, mainly with the intention of doing some googling on the make and model later, and possibly taking him up on it if it runs well, and it isn't made by a manufacturer that makes terrible stuff.

The lack of info worries me a tad, but I figure if I go and check it out, I only stand to lose my time and a little gas.

I guess basically what I'm asking is does this sound sketchy enough to where I should drop all contact right now, or is it at least worth a look as long as I don't do something dumb?

There are three pictures of the scooter included, and I don't see anything in the pictures that feels like a red flag to me (yet.)

Thanks for your time, and sorry for the wordy message.
seafea

Re: lack of info on a scooter for sale... sketchy?

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 am

I would bet $500 you'll be looking at a stolen scooter. Yeah, virtually brand new, only 300 miles and only $500. Seems too good to be true...Questions you'd do better to ask in addition to make and model: does seller have PROOF OF OWNERSHIP or TITLE or ANY way you can know he owns what he sells in the ad.

As for the pictures:
There are three pictures of the scooter included, and I don't see anything in the pictures that feels like a red flag to me (yet.)
, what would a stolen scooter look like in a photo? Like a scooter, any scooter. Sadly, they just don't include the red flags with the photos. So pix won't tell you if it's been repainted to hide what it once looked like, or if it's damaged where you can't see, or if it's even the actual scooter you would see if you showed up to look.

If you have bad vibes from an ad enough to make you ask here and a seller who is dodgy about supplying info and just wants you to come by (he expects you to bring cash, not just look and leave) you should take your vibes and believe them. Pass this one up and don't bother to waste time or gas. People selling stolen scooters are creeps and often dangerous creeps. Unless you are a cop bringing handcuffs, don't bother to go look.

If you want to save loads of words, you can just post a link to the Craig's List ad page on this forum and ask if it looks like a legit deal. We'll all know what to look for and you won't have to write about the ad. Many people on this board can identify the make and model of a scooter just by a photo. So if we saw the ad, we'd be better help.

Hope you find a good scooter, sold by a good person (who owns it) real soon. Keep looking. Keep asking for help if you need it.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby tortoise on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:35 am

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2219002789.html

Look on left side above center stand . . if a 139QMB engine, ignition components (trigger coil, CDI, ignition coil) are relatively cheap. A "disposable" China scoot may not be a bad idea for college dorm parking . . considering the odds of theft and vandalism.
tortoise

Postby seafea on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:45 am

It's at this URL.
http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2219002789.html

I think you're probably right about it being stolen. The ad plus the seller's response just gives off bad vibes to me. I'm gonna pass this one up.

Thanks!
seafea

Postby CGott on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm

If he's reluctant to tell you the make, it's 99% positive it's a no-name Chinese junk.
CGott

Postby Bustin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Probably "lost" both the title and keys , lol .
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions