Comparing two Mets(kind of time sensitive)

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Comparing two Mets(kind of time sensitive)

Postby hipkenzh on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi obviously Im new and I have a situation I was hoping you might be able to help me with:

Today I test drove a 2008 Metropolitan with 2200 miles on it. Ran great and it was a blast. The seller was really nice and I left thinking I would be making an offer this afternoon. He is asking 1300(is that fair?) so after tax and registration etc I think I'd be out about 1550 or so(total guestimate). I was thinking of offering 1000 but he did have someone else look at it today so they may offer more or he may be firmer on price than I thought.

I really want a Ruckus but I don't want to pay for a brand new one and no used ones are around right now. So I wanted to test drive one before making an offer on the Met so I went to a dealer, they wouldn't let me test drive a Ruckus(Insurance reasons) BUT they had a used 2009 Metro with 200 miles on it and I negotiated a little bit to get the price knocked down to 1800 OTD tax title etc.

So which would you suggest?

I wasn't really prepared to pay 1800 for a scooter but its in great shape and my number one concern is reliability which having only 200 miles would seem to have the potential to be more reliable for a longer time.

Here is a little more info on me and why I'm thinking of buying a scooter: I am a recent college graduate and work landscaping for a near by University. Its 4 miles away so the scooter would be used to get me back and forth to work(currently biking) and on the weekends I may take it to friends places and stuff but no big trips really, so maybe 50 miles a week. It will be my main vehicle, currently I live at home but I will be moving out in May/June. I'm really a Subaru guy but at this point in my life I could afford a car but it would take all my spare cash so I don't see the point.

Thanks for looking,
Zach
hipkenzh

Re: Comparing two Mets(kind of time sensitive)

Postby Smorris on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Ignoring the Ruckus and need for a car, and strictly looking at the two scoots, I would personally opt for the new one. If it is new and never registered, you are eligible for the full two year (?) warranty on it. I/m not positive if that's the case with a sued one and transferring the remainder of the warranty. For $300 difference (or a bit more if the first guy comes down) I'd go for the new one.

Then come back here, tell us all about it, find out how to derestrict it for a bit more ooomph, etc.

And welcome to the forum! You'll like it here. There are a lot of helpful people here, and a lot of great info in the tech section that is all yours with the help of the search button.

Subie guy here, too, with a slightly modded WRX and an OBXT.

Hope that helps,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:23 pm

I entirely agree with Steve, for every reason he cites. Buy the new one for the little bit more. It will have the fun in it without any mileage already there, it will have better resale value someday since you will be the original owner, not the second, and it will have any quirks and bad behavior adjusted under warranty, not inherited with no recourse but to live with it or fix it on your dime. If you can afford the extra few hundred, buy the new Met, not the used one.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hipkenzh on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for getting back to me!

Its not new new it was sold to someone who gave out free redbull at events and they had to return it due to insurance reasons with their employees or something. It only has 200 miles though. Bright red which I'm a fan of as well.
hipkenzh

Postby Smorris on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Make sure the warranty is transferable, and jump on it and ride! :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby Bustin on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 am

Comments about the warranty are well considered. Might come in handy.

Me being a bargain hunter, I'd float that $1000 offer for the used one and see if it flew , and spend the savings on some good riding gear and accessories. ;)

Chances are the dealer will still have that Red Bull bike available if the used deal doesn't come through.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby nfocusdesign on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Shop around. My local Honda dealer has 2009 brand new for $1488. Also, if you buy new, Honda has a $200 bonus bucks offer on their site. I believe it expires March 31. Link is below.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/metro ... ffers.aspx
Attachments
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg (177.53 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
nfocusdesign

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions