WANT 50cc, BUT WITH MORE POWER

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

WANT 50cc, BUT WITH MORE POWER

Postby AngieM on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 pm

I sold a Znen Lance Vintage 150cc scooter and I LOVED it... just didn't like the yearly taxes, licensing, tests, etc. It was a GORGEOUS bike that looked like a mini motorcycle, not like the cheap-looking, plastic 50cc's, looked and rode excellent, no problems, and I miss it. I am now looking for a 50cc scooter I won’t have to license, pay taxes, etc., that looks like it and find a way to pump it up a bit to get me up ‘n down a pretty hilly neighborhood.

I saw photos of the following Motorino (50cc) http://www.scootersus.com/
…and was told I could add a kit to make it a 72cc. Think that'll get me up these hills? Or isn't it worth the effort to do all that if all I'll gain is another 10mph?

I was given these suggestions in the forums:

“get a heavier clutch spring ($12-25 part) replacement.” (WILL THAT BE ENOUGH TO WORK?)

"first tune the variator, get the right size weights and it might be all you need. Change the spring referred to earlier. Put a Unifilter on it and upjet the carb"
(WILL THAT WORK ENOUGH TO GET ME UP THESE HILLS?)

Should I get the Motorino and make those changes on it?
Or should I just go with a 50cc that looks like my old Lance Vintage and make those changes?
AngieM

Re: WANT 50cc, BUT WITH MORE POWER

Postby tortoise on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 am

AngieM wrote:WANT 50cc, BUT WITH MORE POWER

Can't have it BOTH WAYS . . at least not legally!

Missouri DMV

Indiana enforcement example.
tortoise

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Along the lines of what Tortoise said, the reason those tax, registration and insurance exemptions are given to bikes under 50cc is so you CAN'T HAVE MORE POWER AND MAKE BELIEVE YOU DON'T.

It's absurd to believe you will add the power to a 50cc bike (and spend the money on that, but not on the legal necessities imposed on a bigger bike) and not go above the 30 mph that most states expect you stay under if you want to meet those exemptions. Your ambitions reflect a mental intent of being outside the law for your own convenience or satisfaction but appearing to conform. You are basically admitting you want to break the law and still feel justified to get away with it. Those pesky fees! The size/speed restrictions to keep smaller bikes less expensive to own are put in place for more than financial reasons to make the state rich. It's to make people using more powerful vehicles take more responsibility for safety maintenance and to offset their greater risks of speed and mistakes that cause damage or injury with insurance coverage and licensing requirements.

In NY your 50cc-converted-to-72cc scooter would be confiscated if you allowed it to go faster than legal based on the registration type. A bike like a 50cc Motorino, in NY, is registered as a "moped", but you still need to pay for (and prove) insurance coverage, a tag, and annual inspection that the scooter is roadworthy. So small and still those fees! Above 50cc it is called a motorcycle, and fees get more expensive, licensing gets tougher, etc. Zoom around at 50 mph on a scooter that is small enough to look like it should go under 40 and is legally registered that way but illegally rebuilt and run, and you eventually will have your scooter stuffed into the trunk of a police car, while you sit in the back seat and think about bail and fines. When you are done with the cost of getting out from under this, you would not be getting your fancy overclocked Motorino back.

If you need a bigger scooter than 50cc, buy one or buy your Lance back and surrender to what it costs to hold it and use it. Conforming to the law for whatever way you find your fun is part of adulthood. Maturity means more than just getting away with going faster while the rest of the slobs pay fees and comply.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby jlauerman on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 pm

AngieM:

I understand the desire, but GizmoGirl is right. There's a reason for those requiements.

I had the same dilemna and decided last December to buy the Honda Elite 110. Yesterday I passed my motorcycle license test with it and am so thankful that I didn't try to "just get by" but rather get what I really needed. The Elite does exactly what I need it to do.

And frankly, the training to pass the license was well worth the time and effort.

Jim
jlauerman

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions