Scooter Upgrade

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Scooter Upgrade

Postby mgospo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 am

I have an 09 Met and I love it.

But...

I am considering a career move which may involve a lengthy commute that would be much easier and more economical time-wise to travel on the interstate, which of course is not a good idea on the Met and probably illegal. So I am looking to upgrade to a more powerful machine.

I really enjoy the "vintage" or "retro" look of the Met as opposed to the more sporty look of something like the Elite or SH150i, but I want something with more cc's, in the 250 to 300 range, that could keep up with interstate speeds in the 70 to 80 mph range.

I absolutely love the Vespa 300 Super, but they are way over priced in my opinion at $6,000+ dollars (probably 7k out the door new from a dealer)

I am not opposed to getting a motorcycle, but if there is something out there that has the Met look, and 250-300ccs, and is more in the 3,000-4,000 price range, that is exactly what I'm after.

Any ideas??
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Re: Scooter Upgrade

Postby uncleralph on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 am

A used Vespa?
uncleralph

Postby ColumbiaGhost on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 am

I don't think you'll be happy with any small stepthrough bike on the 70-80 mph speeds of the freeway, buuuutt.. you might be able to do ok at 50-55mph with something a little bigger- just choose a safer route. I have a backroad route myself on the Metropolitan, but I'm moving over to a Symba soon (cross fingers, haha) and hope to take a more direct path, maybe do a bit of touring.

If I really wanted to go that fast I might think about a Burgman or a Silverwing. I saw a Yamaha T-Max at around 4k on Craigslist the other day. I'd love a Honda Helix.

With the Met I don't worry about speed (it's slow, sure, but I stay on safe routes) but I do worry a lot about about my visibility to other drivers.

Aprilia makes a scooter with full size wheels (so does Kymco, for that matter- The People 150). They look about the same- which is to say they look kinda meh to me. I mean, they are attractive vehicles, but just don't have vintage-y quirks like I like. But those might be an option...
ColumbiaGhost

Postby gmoney on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Small wheeled scooters and high speeds don't go together very well, trust me. Even though the Vespa GT300 is a very nice ride it still suffers from the small wheel problem. You may want to look at a real motorcycle for more reasons than just going fast. Having to shift gears really isn't that big a deal and in a few hours you'll feel like a pro. Switching to a motorcycle opens up all sorts of bikes and motorcycles are much easier to find on Craigslist than scooters. For your budget you should be able to get a fairly late model cycle. Good luck!

Gary
gmoney

Postby scootrs on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:21 am

Depending on how big your itch is to ride & how many miles your commute is should determine the bike size. Bigger, Faster, Longer, Further. It's beautiful to see the Vespas doing 70mph on I285 round Atlanta; but, their limited to commuting (in essence). Shifting gears is easy and you might could find an 80s honda 350 for 1200$. Taking the motorcycle safety class at the local community college will help you decide think I.
scootrs

Postby mgospo on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll keep the Met for a while and have decided that if I make the career move with the interstate commute, I will just take my Camry. But I just discovered a classic motorcycle I'm absolutely in love with and lusting over... The Honda "Dream" CA77, 305cc. Those things are gorgeous and I hope to one day own one.

If I get the bigger bike itch for something new I'm thinking I might see what my local Honda dealer will do with a trade in on the Met for maybe a new Rebel 250. Obviously it won't cover the cost but it should get me a little closer.

The ultimate goal though is an original CA77. I just stumbled upon them recently and they are everything I want in terms of engine size and style in a motorcycle.
mgospo

Postby gmoney on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Way back in 1965 I bought a Honda 150 Dream, that year I drove it 22,000 miles my last year in high school. I really loved that motorcycle and bought another one used in 1969 when I was in Florida. I drove it until I had to go to Vietnam in 1970 and hated parting with it. Unfortunately these are now antiques and parts would be difficult to get although some of the parts are interchangable with later model Honda's. I recently saw a listing on the local Craigslist for the Honda 305 Dream, they wanted $2200 for it which I thought was a bit steep! Honda was way ahead of the competiton back in the late 60's and they built quality machines for a fair market price. Good luck on finding one that's in good shape!

Gary
gmoney

Postby Bustin on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:51 pm

If I was looking at significant riding time on the Interstate (ugh) , I'd be looking at inline fours in the 750cc range ....the Honda Nighthawk 750 '91-'99 being a good choice , or something like a Suzuki Bandit 600 or Yamaha FZ-6 . Inline four engines are very smooth compared to singles and twins , with little vibration at cruising speed. They also offer excellent fuel economy, and make enough power to accelerate briskly at freeway speeds...an important safety factor.

Just my .02 :D
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby mgospo on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

I am a fan of the Nighthawk (the look of it at least. Im saying all these things like I know all about motorcycles and I really don't, I've just been considering getting one for years and have poured over thousands of pictures kind of figuring out what style bike I would most like to have). Five or six years ago when I first thought that I might like to get a motorcycle, the Nighthawk I had decided, was my favorite bike. My taste has since changed a bit, but I still love the way the nighthawk kind of melds the cruiser style with the sport-bike style, without being over the top on either end. Its not a chopper and its not a crotch-rocket, kind of right in the middle - and I really dig that about it.
mgospo

Postby misu on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm

mgospo wrote:I have an 09 Met and I love it.

But...

I am considering a career move which may involve a lengthy commute that would be much easier and more economical time-wise to travel on the interstate, which of course is not a good idea on the Met and probably illegal. So I am looking to upgrade to a more powerful machine.

I really enjoy the "vintage" or "retro" look of the Met as opposed to the more sporty look of something like the Elite or SH150i, but I want something with more cc's, in the 250 to 300 range, that could keep up with interstate speeds in the 70 to 80 mph range.

I absolutely love the Vespa 300 Super, but they are way over priced in my opinion at $6,000+ dollars (probably 7k out the door new from a dealer)

I am not opposed to getting a motorcycle, but if there is something out there that has the Met look, and 250-300ccs, and is more in the 3,000-4,000 price range, that is exactly what I'm after.

Any ideas??

piaggio bv300 or 500
scrabeo 500
kymco downtown 300, people gti300

you'll have to find them used for the $3000-4000 price range. new they're $5000 and up.

i agree with wanting to avoid small/vespa size wheels for consistent freeway riding. my elite110 feels sketchy on sweeping turns at 50mph. the 500cc above will do close to 100mph and 60mpg. the 300c about 80mph and 70+mpg.

i'd love a 500cc scooter, but practically the elite110 is just about perfect for city commuting.
misu

Postby Bustin on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm

mgospo wrote:I am a fan of the Nighthawk (the look of it at least. Im saying all these things like I know all about motorcycles and I really don't, I've just been considering getting one for years and have poured over thousands of pictures kind of figuring out what style bike I would most like to have). Five or six years ago when I first thought that I might like to get a motorcycle, the Nighthawk I had decided, was my favorite bike. My taste has since changed a bit, but I still love the way the nighthawk kind of melds the cruiser style with the sport-bike style, without being over the top on either end. Its not a chopper and its not a crotch-rocket, kind of right in the middle - and I really dig that about it.

I have over a dozen bikes (including scoots) in my collection, all great machines in their own right , but if it came down to it, and I could only keep one......

Image (click to embiggen)

Sounds cool , too :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCIF9UbuDg
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby mgospo on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 am

Man I dig it.

Sounds good indeed. Im pretty upset right now because I found a running 72 cb350 in pretty good shape (only a torn seat and small dent in the tank) for $600 on craigslist near here, but my wife flipped out when I mentioned it, so I'm kind of holding back for now. I'll have to ease her into the idea, she had a fit when I got the Met too. I think if I wear on her long enough it will all work out. The bike looks like it would clean up really nicely, 22,000 miles and one previous owner I think. I could get it for 500 probably. I think I would paint it and replace the seat and tank, and put some clubman bars on, do a cafe racer type thing. It just seems like a good deal, but I know there are tons of CBs locked up in garages or barns just waiting to be discovered, so...until I can wear my honey down I'll just bitterly regret this one and hope one surfaces when I get the OK from the boss.
mgospo

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions