Thinking about buying a 1985 Honda Elite 150

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Thinking about buying a 1985 Honda Elite 150

Postby callisto9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:23 am

Anyone here have one of these, or something similar? It's bigger and faster than the Met, but that's about all I know. It's got 15,000 miles on it and I'm going to see it tonight. Seller is asking $750 and it needs a new battery.

I'd love to have something that goes a little faster and I love the look of the older Honda Elites. :)
2 Honda Mets - 2005 (black/white), 2009 (blue/white)
callisto9

Re: Thinking about buying a 1985 Honda Elite 150

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Had a friend who owned an Elite of that vintage. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it had a left side handbrake and right side foot brake. I think you used the foot brake by pressing down with your heel cause the brake was a round raised kind of dome on or next to the floor board, not a flat pedal for your toe or ball of foot to press. Bike was a little noisy for a 4 stroke, but peppy as hell, so a fun ride. Wheels were truly unsafely small for 150cc power, so I don't recommend hiway riding, only for street.

Only downside I can see for your passion is that getting parts will be very tough if it needs work sooner or later. I also think it is overpriced at $750 with 15k miles. I could think of better bikes than an '85 Elite 150 to go faster than a Met. But everyone is allowed to have fun and spend their money as they see fit. Hope it works out to be a good deal. Ride it for sure before you buy.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: Thinking about buying a 1985 Honda Elite 150

Postby callisto9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Thank you for your input! I did read about the foot brake. And lack of storage.

I thought $750 seemed a little high, too. It also needs a new battery soon.

So parts would be tough for one that old... well, that would be a deterrent for me. Maybe a newer Honda Elite (like a 2001) might be better?

Thanks again - you're so helpful! I'm going to ride it tonight.
2 Honda Mets - 2005 (black/white), 2009 (blue/white)
callisto9

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions