old sty;e met vs new style met (both new)

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

old sty;e met vs new style met (both new)

Postby jeb62celtic on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Question
I have the chance to buy a new 0 mile old style met or the new 2014 model from a honda dealer a few towns over
What is the way to go ?
I understand the new fuel inj model starts better
Both would come with the same warranty and i understand the warranty is good a any honda dealer ?
jeb62celtic

Re: old sty;e met vs new style met (both new)

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 pm

You don't mention what year is the model you call "old style" Met. If it is 2006 or later, it would be an excellent choice as long as you are willing to live with the potential carburetor nuisance, especially troublesome in a colder climate. (you also don't mention what area you'd be riding in). If a 2005 or older, you may be fooled into a Met II, which is a completely bad choice. So make sure you know what you are really being offered. Met II was a speed restricted bike (won't go much above 25mph without a lot of extra mods) and was not made after model year 2005, which is why you should only consider Met models 2006 and onwards if you don't know any better. Also some engine improvements occurred 2006 and up, so keep that in mind.

Fuel injection is far superior, but the newer Mets are also air cooled, not water cooled like the older models. So you get a plus and a minus with the newest Met. Also the very newest models don't go much above 36 mph, where the older ones (2006-2012?) will go 38-42. What are your traffic conditions and is speed necessary for survival, or just a desirable fun factor?

So take into account weather and riding temps you will be using the bike in, traffic speeds that may be relevant and how much tinkering you can do with carburetor misbehavior. This decision isn't black and white and you don't give enough information about your circumstances and model year choices for definitive answers from members here. I've just given you food for thought and now you can help yourself with answers.

Overall, I'd say if you just want best start and run reliability, resale value down the road if you want to move up or get out of scooters, and enjoy modest fun, get the 2014 with fuel injection. Yes, any dealer should honor a new bike warranty--it's only a year of coverage for a new bike of any year, so not such a big deal. Very little goes wrong with a Met. They are sturdy, sweet bikes.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy and how happy you get after that first fun ride!

Ps:
(Please dont double post same questions in different topic areas)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby jeb62celtic on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:55 pm

the old style is a 2009, red in color , 0 miles
jeb62celtic

Postby jeb62celtic on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm

also i live in richmond va and it can get cold here, it would be mainly for fun and a backup vehicle as well
jeb62celtic

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Well 2009 was a good year for speedy Mets with carburetors and liquid cooling. A carb is the only downside I can see versus a 2014. Fuel injection is a valued choice and you won't realize all that until you read the thousand carburetor kvetches posted on this board. Read some old and new starting and stalling questions and answers in the Maintenance section for a full dose. Or be ready to spend some time cleaning your carburetor a few years from now to rethink purchasing a 2009. If the few mph more on an older 2009 is important for your riding style or traffic needs, get the older one. If you will ride in cold weather and damp conditions, and top speed is not critical, get the 2014.

If that 2009 cheery, bright red one is important for your happiness compared to color choice you might have in a 2014 model, then get the red cause it will make you happy. (everyone knows red bikes are the fastest...LOL). Of all the things to grasp about having a scooter it is the Happy Factor that counts most. It is simple transportation, it is convenient, it is cheap to run and easy to maintain. But most of all it is FUN and should keep you happy to own it and ride it. The heart wants what it wants...

If you have a gut feeling that helps you lean towards one over the other, go with it. If not, make a practical decision and get the FI 2014. If it's not an emotional tug, then decide in favor of better starting in all weather and the advantage of the more advanced technology Honda is offering for an equal price.

If it's any help, I owned my Denim 2005 Met I, which went about 38 mph tops, for 6 years and put better than a thousand miles a year on it. But I eventually traded it in for a gorgeous red Elite 110 for two reasons-- I was more than ready for fuel injection as I like riding in winter whenever I can, and I needed to handle NYC traffic more nimbly with way faster pickup, superior agility and better (disc) brakes. I loved the Met but I outgrew it as my riding skills and radius improved and the pesky starting and stalling in cold temps made up my mind. I've never regretted fuel injection, for sure.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby jeb62celtic on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 pm

thanks, i appreciate it
also forgot to mention the 2009 is priced at 1649.00
jeb62celtic

Postby jeb62celtic on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:55 am

As far as the fuel inj goes does that provide great starting even in cold weather
Also what kind of speen does the 2014 provide ? I am a big guy @ 200 lbs
jeb62celtic

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:00 pm

jeb62celtic wrote:As far as the fuel inj goes does that provide great starting even in cold weather

I've answered both those questions in my posts above. I've emphasized that if you will ride in cold weather you would want fuel injection. That should convince you that fuel injection makes for trouble free starting year round. Read all my reference above to why you want fuel injection-- cold weather starting is much more assured. Obviously all fuel systems can have problems arise. But carburetors are known culprits and especially balky balancing the fuel-air mix for combustion in challenging weather. Try and find a car less than 25 years old equipped with a carburetor.! If it was a grand system, they'd still be installed in Chevys. On small engines the factor of mix and combustion is more critical. So if you are not convinced by my suggestions, ask a mechanic, ask someone who owns a carbureted engine on any vehicle or even a lawn mower, or read the threads from owners with older Mets, non FI models. There are also reviews of the newer FI Mets to read. Look for those, too.

As for speed, read the first post. I referred to the better speed on older Mets (other than MetII) than the new 2014. 2009 Met will get you about 38-42 mph. A 2014 will not get quite that high. They are more sluggish and top end is less than 40mph. Take a test ride on each bike you are offered. I think you have enough advice to try both bikes and make a decision, even if you ask new questions eliciting the same information I've already offered.

Any Honda Met will give enough fun to a 200 pound rider. If you want good pickup, speed better than 40 with throttle to spare and fuel injection you need a bike bigger than a Met. The Elite 110 comes to mind , if you can find one. If you are just starting out as a scooter rider, buy the newer Met and if you find you want more bike under you some day, it will be easier to sell than an older model with less desirable aspects. If price is the ultimate factor, buy whatever is cheaper since the bargain will have to beat the features.

Time for you to think it out or test ride. You have plenty of information for rational deciding.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Read this thread for more insight in the form of a user review of a Fuel injected met:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16223

Here's a new member who just bought a 2013 Met and managed to modify it to get more speed. Worth reading this post and you can make contact via PM if you want to get details on what was done and how. It does sustain the notion that the newer Mets are not as fast.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16419
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Bustin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 pm

jeb62celtic wrote:As far as the fuel inj goes does that provide great starting even in cold weather

The new style Met will fit you much better, with the taller handlebar. Go sit on both styles with the centerstand down, put both your feet up on the floor, legs straight up, knees close to each other , and crank the handlebar from left to right. You'll instantly see why the 2014 is a better choice for a big guy.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions