Wanting just a tad more speed... looking at Honda Elite

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Wanting just a tad more speed... looking at Honda Elite

Postby callisto9 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:08 pm

We love our Mets. Have a 2005 and 2009 that top out about 40mph. I know it's goofy, but I want a scooter that can go around 50mph. There are three main roads here where the speed limit is 45mph and we don't take our Mets on them for obvious safety reasons. Most times, we have no issues with keeping up and the top speed of 40.

I've been looking at other scooters and feel in love with the retro, funky-looking Honda Elites from the 80s and 90s. The ones I usually see for sale are the Elite CH80s. Despite the spedo saying they go 55mph, everything I read says they go 35mph, *maybe* 40mph if you're lucky. Why is it that an 80cc scooter doesn't go any faster than my Met and why DOES the spedo read up to 55mph then? Any chance the Elite 80s can be de-restricted easily to get up to 50mph?

I'm really sold on the looks of these scooters, but I almost never see the 150cc model for sale here, used.

Any insight?
2 Honda Mets - 2005 (black/white), 2009 (blue/white)
callisto9

Re: Wanting just a tad more speed... looking at Honda Elite

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a 2010 Honda Elite 110. In spite of the bigger engine it is rated only about 55mph, though I've gotten to 58 with very little effort on straightaways. Its top speed being that, the speedo dial still shows it goes to 70mph. Just a hope, I guess. There is no direct relationship to top speed and what the dial says is a so-called maximum, as far as I know. (my little 4 cylinder 135hp 1997 RAV4 can reach 80 mph but its silly speedo dial goes all the way to 125! It couldn't peg that if it had wings. Laughable)

I don't think there's anything goofy about wanting a scooter that safely meets expected road speeds past the Met's capacity. But why buy a scooter just for those lovely retro looks if it actually can't meet your requirements without modifications, has drum brakes that unsafely mismatch speeds you seek, and gives you yet another carburetor to maintain? If you want an Elite from Honda and want to go 50 or faster, why not look for an Elite 110. You get the speed for sure, reliable fuel injection for easy starting and great pickup, and a front disc brake for a 12 inch front wheel with drum in the back for a 10" wheel. It's a bike designed for pep and agility on urban roads or multilane conditions. Might be less hard to find than a 150cc older Elite. Agree that it is not nearly as classic looking and charming as those older Elites. Elite 110 only imported one year into USA, but they are available to buy used and just a few new.

I briefly owned an old Elite that I'm pretty sure was a 150 and it went to hiway speeds but more like 50-52mph. Didn't do a lot of passing on the hiway, but it was safe and I stayed in the slower lane. Speed limits in NY are just a suggestion to most drivers. It had a handle bar brake lever on the left side for the front and a foot brake on the right side foot rest for the rear. Ran nice, but a bit touchy running in colder weather, much like the Met., which I also owned for much longer. I do not know why the old Elite 80 can't go faster-- must be gear ratios.

Hope you find that bike you want for speed. Did you consider Genuine Buddy? Probably come in a configuration you need for speed and look more classic as you prefer. Don't limit yourself to old Elites.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: Wanting just a tad more speed... looking at Honda Elite

Postby callisto9 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:09 pm

I *do* love the looks of the Honda 80s and 150s. I'm smitten, I admit. Though the one you have meets all my needs, I'm a sucker for the retro/funky look.

I just find it so weird that the 80cc Honda Elites don't go any faster (and sometimes, slower) than my Mets! I found one for sale here locally, and the guy said it goes only 30mph. We're lucky - our Mets get 40mph, if only barely.

You do make an excellent point about the speedos (duh, I didn't even think about that!) always showing speeds that a vehicle may not go, I'm just stumped to see it on scooters that have bigger engines than our Metropolitans.

I'd LOVE a Genuine Stella, but we don't have a servicing dealer here and with the finicky issues I've read they have, I'm not willing to trailer it to the nearest dealer 55 miles away (also, I don't have a trailer. Or a truck).

Thanks for your input! I'm also considering a Yamaha Vino 125 - I love the looks and drove my friend's last summer and really liked it.
2 Honda Mets - 2005 (black/white), 2009 (blue/white)
callisto9

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions