Guy buys pink 2015 Metro.

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Guy buys pink 2015 Metro.

Postby James_Shaw on Sun May 03, 2015 9:51 am

My thinking goes like this, no teenaged boy would be caught dead on anything pink. So, unlike my Honda Spree, maybe this new Metro will stay mine. I’m not gay, so expect to get into a lot of fights. If I lose one, I’ll repaint pink with the Chrome-Illusions paint that changes color in the sun. If I have to do that, though, I’ll pour an 800-pound block of concrete in my yard as an anchor to lock Metro up. Doubt that I’ll ride at night--I have a 1967 Mustang convertible that doesn’t go out after dark either. Bright head-lights coming at me are scary. Plan to ride flat backroads in the redwoods and Wine Country along the Russian River in Northern California. Any feedback to this will be most welcome.
James_Shaw

Re: Guy buys pink 2015 Metro.

Postby tortoise on Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 am

James_Shaw wrote:Wine Country along the Russian River in Northern California

Sym 200's would be more compatible with 55 MPH traffic.
tortoise

Postby GizmoGal on Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 am

Teenage boys who wouldn't be caught dead with a pink bike don't think about being caught at all. They assume some lady owns the pink bike when it's sitting parked in a yard or driveway and figure it will not be defended by any male. They are as likely to steal a pink bike as any other color and will spray paint it whatever color they like when they possess it. Or sell it still pink to some buyer in the street who will ask few questions. Buying a pink bike so it won't be stolen is wishful and unrealistic. Buy a pink bike if you like pink. It is not a color enjoyed by many, mostly offered to entice women onto scooters thinking they are "safer" or more "friendly" vehicles in baby pastel pink, so resale value is skewed to the low end just because it's pink and will attract fewer buyers or exclude most male potential buyers. If you wind up wanting to move up to a bigger bike or away from scooters altogether, you will have a harder time getting rid of a pink one. And if the trade off to keeping a pink bike so it stays in your possession is to sustain a few hate crime beatings from yahoos who think looking gay, even if you're not, earns a beating in your nabe, I really think it is even stranger that you lean towards a pink Met that invites personal assault. Rethink your purchase plans based on color.

If the bike is at risk of being stolen because of the place it is stored, the color doesn't matter. You should be taking precautions to retain ownership by chaining it to something immovable (is there no alternative to pouring 800 lbs of concrete?) and covering it, or arranging to park it in a garage or shed near your home. Out of sight prevents a lot of mischief.

The 2015 Met will be a trouble free scooter with reliable fuel injection, not a carburetor, air cooled and easy to maintain if you pay attention to oil changes and tire inflation. Buy a good helmet, DOT approved, and investigate all Cal state laws concerning licensing, registration and insurance to avoid surprises. That scooter will not go much above 35 mph, so plan on leisurely back roads riding, not blast off tearing down the blacktop. If traffic where you ride goes better than 35 mph, you will not be safe on a Met. It bears very little resemblance to the excitement of a 1967 Mustang convertible, though in pink might be an equal chick magnet if you crave female attention.

Cover all the bases with legalities, parking security, maintenance and safe routes for riding before you purchase and try a test ride if you have little experience on two wheels. Best of luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby James_Shaw on Thu May 07, 2015 7:20 am

Thank you GizmoGal for those helpful comments. I'm glad I found this thread. It was moved and I thought it had been deleted for being borderline distasteful. I did indeed order the pink scooter--I thought it the best looking of the colors available. I have a lot of pink roses in my yard, so appreciate the strong gender color just because it is so natural. This Honda will indeed be kept in my garage for safety and to protect it from the weather. I was being flip about getting into fights. Still, bicyclists have trouble because of the narrow roads around here, so will probably buy a body cam. I bought this little scooter for fun, not because I need it to take me somewhere. The roads in this area are very picturesque with a lot of curves, so it's not a good idea to drive fast on any of them. The weather here is warm Spring, Summer and Fall so expect having a good time on this scooter. Again, thank you for the time you took to help me. Best wishes, Jim
James_Shaw

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions