Opinions Needed On Yamaha versus Kymco

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Opinions Needed On Yamaha versus Kymco

Postby hippieelmo on Wed May 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Have been kicking around upgrading my 14 Honda Metropolitan. I checked out a 16 Yamaha Zuma 50FX; I was able to test ride it. It was fun scooter; I was able to get it up to 40mph versus my Metro 33mph. It seemed be made better then the Metro; had front powered brake and a lit more space under the seat.

I came across the Kymco AGILITY 125. Don't know much about Kymco, are they just as good Yamaha or Honda?

Was going to choose another brand as I have only bought Honda's and would like to try another brand.
;)
Shea
2014 Candy Orange Honda Metropolitan
2013 Honda Red PCX 150 (Traded In)
2011 Honda Red Ruckus (Traded In)
hippieelmo

Re: Opinions Needed On Yamaha versus Kymco

Postby GizmoGal on Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 pm

I think you will find a Kymco bike is reliable and fun to ride. Make sure you can get it serviced by whoever you use for work beyond your own skills (or all work). Eventually scooters need something that a mechanic has to do. So you want to know your local shop accepts Kymco bikes for work.

Search on websites like Bike Bandit or other parts suppliers to make sure common parts for the Kymco are available to order in case you do your own fix-it work. Though I have not owned a Kymco myself, we get very few complaints or problems about them posted on the board. Might be worth some research time to find other scooter sites or a Kymco group board to see reviews and raves versus rants.

Have you also looked into Genuine Buddy scooters? They are another brand worth a look and I am pretty sure they make a 125 since you are looking for that size and speed. There's plenty of bikes beyond Honda and Yamaha that are better than the crappy cheap Chinese ones and sell enough to build a good rep. Just give yourself a little bit more research outside of this board.

I Googled "Kymco Agility 125 reviews" and "Buddy 125 reviews" and "Yamaha Vino 125 reviews" and found plenty to read on each of those bikes. Take some time to think over the specs an user reviews and then go test ride anything you can get your hands on. I'm sure you will score the perfect bike. Good luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hippieelmo on Thu May 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. Took a look at both of the scooters; will be getting the Yamaha Zuma 50FX.
For a few reasons:

1. Kymco dealer won't work with me on trading in my Metro.
2. Found the Kymco scooter is air cooled. Zuma is liquid cooled.
;)
Shea
2014 Candy Orange Honda Metropolitan
2013 Honda Red PCX 150 (Traded In)
2011 Honda Red Ruckus (Traded In)
hippieelmo

Postby GizmoGal on Thu May 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Very reasonable reasons for your decision. Since you mentioned a 125cc I might be a little surprised that you are aiming toward a 50, but I'm sure there's a good reason.
Hope you make a fine deal and enjoy the bike you buy.
Let us all know how you love it. :)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hondapcx150 on Fri May 06, 2016 10:46 am

GizmoGal wrote:Very reasonable reasons for your decision. Since you mentioned a 125cc I might be a little surprised that you are aiming toward a 50, but I'm sure there's a good reason.
Hope you make a fine deal and enjoy the bike you buy.
Let us all know how you love it. :)

i assume he is thinking of the agility 125 because it is cheaper then most of the better 50cc scooters on the market with a sticker price of 1999.00 or so.....that being said the 4 stroke zuma 50 is pretty fast itself oing about 43 mph on level ground and high 30s going up hills
hondapcx150

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions