New Questions

If you're thinking of buying a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Jazz, but still have questions? Ask us here and we'll help you!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

New Questions

Postby RogueIT on Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 am

I am looking into buying a scooter/moped. Price is an option but I am also looking for a machine that will seat (and move) two. It would only be used around town, but down some of the busier roads, and as I would want to stay in front of the cars as opposed to under then, I assume I would need something that would top out around 50 mph(45 is the posted limit).

I have Genuine, Piaggo/Vespa, Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia available in Louisville where I live.

With that being said, what model should I be looking at? How big of an engine do I need? If I have a drivers license, how complicated will it be to get the scooter licensced? What is the expected MPG?

thanks,
RogueIT
RogueIT

Re: New Questions

Postby Paddy_Crow on Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 am

100-150cc
Paddy_Crow

Postby boiseguy on Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 am

RogueIT wrote:I am looking into buying a scooter/moped. Price is an option but I am also looking for a machine that will seat (and move) two. It would only be used around town, but down some of the busier roads, and as I would want to stay in front of the cars as opposed to under then, I assume I would need something that would top out around 50 mph(45 is the posted limit).

I have Genuine, Piaggo/Vespa, Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia available in Louisville where I live.

With that being said, what model should I be looking at? How big of an engine do I need? If I have a drivers license, how complicated will it be to get the scooter licensced? What is the expected MPG?

thanks,
RogueIT

125-200cc. mpg will be 65-100 depending on the scooter. Permits are pretty easy, usually just a written test and a few bucks...after a few months you can take the "road" test. Licenses are pretty easy as well if you have a titled scooter. What is your price point? Those scooter makes you listed are all pretty good but vary a lot in price.

cheers,

boiseguy
boiseguy

Postby RogueIT on Wed May 21, 2008 12:10 pm

I would like to stay below 2k, but as I have only looked at websites and not gone out and "shopped" I may be better off waiting for the scooter pixies to drop one off for me.
RogueIT

Postby boiseguy on Wed May 21, 2008 12:57 pm

RogueIT wrote:I would like to stay below 2k, but as I have only looked at websites and not gone out and "shopped" I may be better off waiting for the scooter pixies to drop one off for me.

2k will get you a used quality scooter or a new not so great quality scooter. Buying used is a bit harder but there are some good deals to be had out there. Both of my scooters were bought used. Check craigslist, forums etc. regularly. If you are patient, you may get a great deal.

For new, the Genuine Buddy and Yamaha Vino are around 2700-3000ish otd. Piaggio, Vespa and Aprilia are more. Honda doesn't currently make anything in the 125-200cc range in the US. (dummies)

cheers,

boiseguy
boiseguy

Return to Pre-Purchase Scooter Questions