Metropolitan Scooter Cover

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Metropolitan Scooter Cover

Postby pineconetrail on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

HI,
Just purchased my 2016 Honda and very happy. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a scooter cover?
Cover Anything company looks like a nice one that should fit.

Thanks,
Bill
pineconetrail

Re: Metropolitan Scooter Cover

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Certainly good quality picks. That Cover Anything site looks ok. Are you willing to spend that much just for a longer warranty? They're pretty pricey for something to leave outdoors that will weather and weaken or can be vandalized. I'd spend less, if I could.
I'm not saying these others are better choices, just less money. Since you've already identified a resource to buy from and yet don't say why you're looking for more recommendations, I'm just going by price. These are in the $50 and under range.
Look here:
http://www.vipcarcovers.com/honda-metro ... gIviPD_BwE

http://www.justmotorcyclecovers.com/sco ... ic-Phrase-

https://www.empirecovers.com/scooter_co ... gKKS_D_BwE

And Walmart, too!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Extra-Large- ... r/29389850

There's many other places to buy covers. Is your goal to just hide the scooter, protect from elements including snow, spend a lot for highest quality? i don't know what your criteria is, where you will be using it, in what climate. So I'm just guessing why you want more suggestions. Hope I've helped.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby pineconetrail on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:24 am

Many thanks for the reply!

I have an RV and plan to carry the Metro on a rear rack. I originally thought about a cover that would withstand the wind and weather but have been told that the cover will end up damaging the surface. So I guess I will be using the cover to just keep the elements off while traveling and at home to keep the dust off in the garage.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions as to how to cover the scooter while traveling, I sure would appreciate hearing them. The thought of traveling, especially in wet weather, with the scooter exposed really kill me!

thanks again
pineconetrail

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Use the same cover on the bike behind the RV on a rack that you intend to use as a cover in the garage. One cover for all purposes is all you need. If you believe the hooey that the cover will damage the bike's surface when it's behind the RV, then take an old sheet or blanket that's big enough, cut it to a decent size so it's easy to drape over the scooter, and cover the scooter with that first to provide a "liner" before putting on the weatherproof cover. Use a couple of sturdy bungee cords hooked end to end long enough to put a form of binding outside around the double cover to prevent flapping and flogging or to stop the soft "liner" from slipping out from under the bike when the RV is rolling on the road. If you have the sheet/blanket insulating from scratches or abrasion, you only need one cover for all uses.

I agree the scooter should be covered to protect it from road debris and weather when taken along with the RV. That's a practical reason to cover it and protect it from abrasion under it, too. But you'll soon get tired of covering it in the garage or anywhere else to protect it from dust! Yes, it's new and shiny and it should stay perfect for its whole precious life. But you'd do better with a bit of spray wax and buffing it with a cloth to protect it if it looks dusty.

Covers are a fair amount of pain in the ass to put on, take off, fold up,and stuff somewhere that takes up room you could use otherwise. All good intentions, but unnecessary. Use the bike, wax the bike occasionally, wipe it down as needed. Protect it sensibly from RV road risks. Don't spend too much time or money on a cover. Find a nice sheet or blanket and then any vinyl or cloth fitted cover will be adequate for RV hauling.

Also, when you're hunting for the cover of your dreams, check the insides not just the weatherproof side. Many covers are flocked or have a cotton/flannel lining laminated to the outside cloth. No abrasion! Even my grill cover for my Weber is lined so it doesn't scratch the stainless steel. Scooter cover might be lined and thus eliminate the sheet/blanket idea.

Hope I've helped. Only suggestions.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby fishcutter44 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi pineconetrail,
Not related to the cover choice, but just wanted to add a caveat about trailing the scooter. PLEASE don't leave it on the center stand when transporting, as the stand is mounted directly to the aluminum engine case. Aluminum is soft metal and doesn't do well when shock loaded. Crack the pan, big trouble. If secured on the wheels in travel, the suspension absorbs the bumps.
Happy travels,
Kurt
17 Met, 2016 Kymco Like 200i, Bajaj Chetak, one 1965 Fuji Rabbit, a 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special, but formerly 2005 Vespa GTS 250, 1965 Vespa 125, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1980 Suzuki GS450, 1980 Honda Rebel 250, 05 Met Kanji-sold to a good friend
fishcutter44

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 am

Great advice! I hope everyone who wants to trail their Met will learn this. A very fine addition to this thread.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby pineconetrail on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 am

Ditto!
Thank you so much Kurt for that info. I would have never thought about that myself!

Best regards,
Bill
pineconetrail

Return to Accessory Discussion