I want a BIG trunk...Any suggestions..2016 Honda Met

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

I want a BIG trunk...Any suggestions..2016 Honda Met

Postby basilwatts on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm

I am looking for a trunk at least big enough to hold a helmet or larger. The Honda trunk is only 27 liters. I am looking for probably a 50+liter trunk. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.
basilwatts

Re: I want a BIG trunk...Any suggestions..2016 Honda Met

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm

The problem with a big top case like that is that the mounting bracket or rack is likely not to fit properly on the back of the little Met. A case like that will hold much more than a helmet and you’ll be tempted to pack lots of cargo or gear. The box itself will be very heavy back there, plus the weight of whatever you carry in there. It may add challenge to your overall speed and worry the very measly drum brakes of the Met. You really should stick with the proportions designed for your scooter.

That said, if you call the things a top case or top box, and not a trunk, in your search, you’ll find plenty of choices, including ones even larger than the OEM case. I found several bigger ones on Amazon, though not 50L (which is big enough for a Harley or a Gold Wing!). I notice they are often listed showing dimensions, not always the volume capacity, so be guided by the measurements of WxHxL and the actual weight of the case, as much as volume. Consider how the mounting hardware will work on the Met, even if called “universal fit”. Understand that the likelihood that anything big enough to hold 2 helmets will likely suffice and don’t focus on 50L only.

Besides Amazon, look online at the JC Whitney motorcycle catalog, motorcycle/scooter accessory retailers, and evaluate this beast, too:
http://www.partsforscooters.com/172-155 ... k-Top-Case

Be careful,what you think you need. You own a small light scooter intended for street use, not for carrying a Mountie through the Yukon. Add weight over the drive wheel, adequate but not powerful brakes, and a limitation on bracket fitment, and you may want to reassess your desires. Owning a scooter for as few weeks as you have may not have given you enough time to separate the passion from the practical. You have Scooter Fever, for sure!

Just making suggestions. I’ve fallen for every bling imaginable and not always impressed with my choices in hindsight. I understand the drive to accessorize (you should read some of my old posts as a new scooter owner from 2005 onward, blinging my heart out), but stay with proportions and parameters appropriate for your bike.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby basilwatts on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks. when I started really looking at them and their dimensions I REALLY see what you mean by big. I found a 34 liter which is big enough for my helemt and a few other random things in it. But, for me, the real sale was that it has a bar brake light and blinker lights, which was a sale for me because of safety. And it has a small backrest on the front of it...lol I WAS thinking of a box that would hold 2 helmets but once I started looking at the dimensions if it versus my small Met, I understood ALL about the size. A two helmet box is WAY too big for a scooter in the 50cc class. Your info and link were very helpful. Thanks again.
basilwatts

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Very glad you are receptive to suggestions based on experience.
I know you’ll be very satisfied with the top box you’ve selected.
Ride safe.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Accessory Discussion