Chain/Cable Locks for Scooters.

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Do You Lock Up Your Scooter???

Yes
67%
No
19%
Sometimes
14%

Total votes : 36

Chain/Cable Locks for Scooters.

Postby SkootSkoot on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:13 pm

After searching I have not found an extensive list of cable/chain/u-lock list of antitheft devices for your scooters. Lets get a list going of what people use and recommend. With the recent explosion of scooter sales and demand the theft of these machines is rising. The very common "Lift and Steal" is dominating the type of thefts found by scooter owners.

So What Do You Use To Lock Up Your Scoot??? And Where Are You Located?? All these recommendations will help us keep our Scooters safe.
SkootSkoot

Re: Chain/Cable Locks for Scooters.

Postby ColumbiaGhost on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm

I use a big motorcycle cable, it was designed to cable down motorcycles. I'm located in Maryland.

I also use a cover. I think a cover is extremely important with scooters because scooters get noticed quickly. So usually the deal is it gets noticed, then grabbed as an opportunity theft.

Finally, if you have a small bike, I would make some effort to make it appear bigger and heavier than it is under the cover. I haven't gotten my top case yet, but I am planning on one, because under the cover, it will look more like (perhaps illusionarily) a full size motorcycle, and you can't just grab a full size motorcycle.
ColumbiaGhost

Postby WoWo9 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 pm

I only lock up my scooter if I'm parked in a bad neighborhood for any period longer than 20-30 minutes. Otherwise, I just leave it. I live in Chicago (city of) and I just have an On Guard Akita Cable lock. I also have a cover for bad weather or if I'll be in said bad neighborhood for an hour or more...but she's kept in a garage at night so that's a huge plus.
"What we think we become." -Buddha
2007 Honda Metropolitan
2003 Yamaha Vino
WoWo9

Postby Archimage on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:30 am

I asked the dealer for their best lock, they said the Guard Dog.. It's a VERY thick cable, over one inch in diameter.. Only problem is, it's too big to carry around..
arch
Archimage

Postby WoWo9 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:16 am

Archimage wrote:I asked the dealer for their best lock, they said the Guard Dog.. It's a VERY thick cable, over one inch in diameter.. Only problem is, it's too big to carry around..
arch

That's how I feel about those huge chains - I carry my cable lock under my seat, so I can lock it up when I'm away from home. If I had to lock my scooter up outside overnight by my apartment though, I'd definitely use a huge chain though, so long as it stays in my apt. Those things are so heavy I can barely pick them up!
"What we think we become." -Buddha
2007 Honda Metropolitan
2003 Yamaha Vino
WoWo9

Postby vulcan on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:21 am

In order for a cable or chain lock to work, not only do you have to have something to lock it to, but you have to have something on the scooter to attach it to. Running it through the wheels doesn't seem like a very good idea, because they are so easily removed, and unlike motorcycle wheels, scooter wheels aren't that expensive to replace. How do you people with cables and chains do it? And I have heard U-locks mentioned. I don't see any way of using one of those at all. Most of the time, you can't even use them with a bicycle, because there is nothing available where you can put the lock around the bicycle frame and something else. Around here if you lock your scooter to a bike rack, it's going to get beat up in a hurry, from kids banging their BMX bikes into it. I won't even park a nice bicycle at a bike rack. Jerry
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby Archimage on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 am

Sorry, I looked, it's an OnGuard, not a Guard Dog.. It's still too big, by any name..
arch
Archimage

Postby Karman on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:33 am

I lock up everywhere - even when running into the grocery store, etc. My scooter is small, light and easy to throw into the back of a pickup. I use a Master Lock Quantum Armored 30.
Karman

Postby SkylerZane on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:16 am

I lock up when i park it at home and when i can't park it right by the building. i usually make sure it's metal and visible and lock my back wheel to it. I have an on guard Lock it is big but great deterrent. Try wrappign it in a coil and laying it at your feet, wearing it(interesting look) or hook it on the back of the bike.
I will never be a mere memory
SkylerZane

Postby paramedicjk on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 am

I use a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit® 5 foot chain and lock. I never walk away from my scoot without it being chained to something that is secured in concrete and too big for bolt cutters. I work in an area of town with a very high scooter theft rate. I know that there is no chain that is thief proof, but they will have to work pretty hard to get through this one.
Paramedicjk
2002 Juice/White Met II 85.19 mpg
paramedicjk

Postby Krosis on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 pm

paramedicjk wrote:I use a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit® 5 foot chain and lock. I never walk away from my scoot without it being chained to something that is secured in concrete and too big for bolt cutters. I work in an area of town with a very high scooter theft rate. I know that there is no chain that is thief proof, but they will have to work pretty hard to get through this one.

Let me guess.. Old Louisville right? :D

At home I use the same lock and chain.. plus another thick chain and lock (Hardware store purchase) and a masterlock cable lock.. (that last for around town..) I find the other 2 to be too heavy to lug around all the time.. so I don't unless I'm parking out of site of where I'll be.. like a movie or something..

Good to see a familiar... well.. screen name anyway. ;)

-Adam (aka 50cc's_of_Glory..)
Krosis

Postby paramedicjk on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:30 am

Old Louisville it would be. They would have to be pretty brave to steal it where I park it, but knowing what has happened around there this year I wouldn't put it past them.
Paramedicjk
2002 Juice/White Met II 85.19 mpg
paramedicjk

Postby Josh on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Hey... I'm hoping you guys can help me. I just got a 09 met (white and blue) and I'm looking for a good way to secure it. Through the wheel seems like a bad idea, but I can't find any part of the frame I can fit the chain through (the New York unspellable five foot model) any suggestions?

I live in Baltimore. So someone WILL steal my scooter. I'd like to avoid this if I can.

Oh... I used the search function and read for about 3 minutes before posting... so don't yell at me!

edit: and by 3 minutes I mean 15.
Josh

Postby Marcster on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Josh wrote:Hey... I'm hoping you guys can help me. I just got a 09 met (white and blue) and I'm looking for a good way to secure it. Through the wheel seems like a bad idea, but I can't find any part of the frame I can fit the chain through (the New York unspellable five foot model) any suggestions?

I live in Baltimore. So someone WILL steal my scooter. I'd like to avoid this if I can.

Oh... I used the search function and read for about 3 minutes before posting... so don't yell at me!

edit: and by 3 minutes I mean 15.

Here's what you need to do:

Also, consider a XENA disc alarm that will set off a 110db siren if the scooter is moved or jostled.
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/mot ... arm/page1/
(XENA alarms come in a few different sizes, make sure you get the right one -- also, they come up on eBay quite a bit, keep your eyes peeled)
--Drowning in the scooterness... Image
Right now I feel: Image
Marcster

Postby Josh on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I can't really find a good way to do this with the 5 foot chain I have. That's the "noose" one, yeah?

I can run through the back wheel and around the shock absorber but its a tight fit and it gets pretty hot back there.

I'm so paranoid D:
Josh

Next

Return to Accessory Discussion