Scooter Alarm

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Scooter Alarm

Postby comotion on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Since my met is so light and easy to steal, I went looking for a basic alarm. Not that it would keep someone from stealing it, but at least the noise might get the attention of others. I found this cheap one, and so far, so good:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23633

As cheap as it is, I have no idea how long it will last, but it's battery powered, so install was a snap.

Sorry that this is my first post. I've been reading here since I bought my Met last month, but I know this looks bad, as if I'm selling something. I assure you I'm not, but I know anyone would say that. Anyways, I hope someone finds this useful!
comotion

Re: Scooter Alarm

Postby carolinatrophy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I've been curious about getting something similar. Do me a favor, will you? Post again in a month or two and let me know how it's working out for you. I'm curious if it's going off all the time, irritating the piss out of you and everyone within a half mile of your scooter...

But if it's not, I'm going to get one too.
-Paul
2003 Denim Metropolitan ("Potsie")

"Can't this Met go any faster? I can still see where I am."
carolinatrophy

Postby comotion on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Will do. One of the guys on that site made a video of it working on his motorcycle. Check it out if you get the chance (I think it was in the review section). So far the only problem was when I forgot that it was on and I set it off when I started the scooter. Felt like an idiot.

The arm and disarm chirp is silly, and it feels like over kill, but again, I feel better running into the store now.
comotion

Postby carolinatrophy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, I bet you do. And I'm kinda lazy, and I have a tendency to get complacent, and I dont think I would religiously use a 25lb. chain with a bulky lock, you know? But a quick flip of an alarm might be something I'm disciplined enough to keep using...

LOL
-Paul
2003 Denim Metropolitan ("Potsie")

"Can't this Met go any faster? I can still see where I am."
carolinatrophy

Postby laspalmas7 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:42 am

Hmmm.... very interesting! I was looking at this one that Aerostich offers:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aer ... 17040.html

Needless to say, it's quite a lot more $$$. For <$10, this seems a worthwhile experiment. During the work day, I am often in a garage, so I'd need to be able to adjust the sensitivity so that a large vehicle rumbling by wouldn't set off the alarm. When I go through the garage, the sound of my exhaust sets off one or two car alarms ;-)

Thanks for the link.

-andrew
2009 Zuma 125
laspalmas7

Postby ruck_ryder on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am

Wish I had one of these the other day. Park my scoot the other day in the lot. When I came out, there were 5 other bikes, yep 5 plus mine, all in the same spot. Apparently there wasn't enough room, go figure, so someone decided to move my scoot. Not that the alarm would have done much...just would have been easier to pick out who did it as I imagine they might have soiled theirself.

How's the alarm working out for you so far?
2007 Ruckus

Ride like you stole it...
ruck_ryder

Postby tbone0607 on Sat May 08, 2010 6:01 pm

I purchased a US patrol siren padlock alarm off amazon.com. Great price and product and no drilling holes or installing. I have 2; one to lock onto my wheel lock and one to secure my helmet onto my luggage rack. They work great and the alarm is very loud. Most motorcycle riders don't like mc scooter riders anyway and really don't understand that mc scooter riders with 125 cc and above are considered in the motorcycle family. Mc scooters have the same rights on the street and have to follow all street regulations and laws as they do.

I wish I would catch someone picking up my scooter to move it for them.

Check it out
I love riding my Mc Scooter and I RIDE SAFE!
tbone0607

Postby dr.ona on Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 am

comotion wrote:Since my met is so light and easy to steal, I went looking for a basic alarm. Not that it would keep someone from stealing it, but at least the noise might get the attention of others. I found this cheap one, and so far, so good:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23633

As cheap as it is, I have no idea how long it will last, but it's battery powered, so install was a snap.

Sorry that this is my first post. I've been reading here since I bought my Met last month, but I know this looks bad, as if I'm selling something. I assure you I'm not, but I know anyone would say that. Anyways, I hope someone finds this useful!

I bought this and have to say that it is great for the price...HOWEVER, like most people have mentioned, it is very sensitive and I don't see anyway in adjusting that.

Bobby Rotten
"Fun fun fun on the Autobahn"
dr.ona

Return to Accessory Discussion