Lithium Battery

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Lithium Battery

Postby IRELAND on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Is any one familiar with lithium battery?
We're going to introduce this battery for scooters. What do you think?
Thank you.
Attachments
RIMG0052.jpg
RIMG0052.jpg (69.28 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
IRELAND

Re: Lithium Battery

Postby tortoise on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 pm

All depends on the selling price! For others curious . . direct information link.

Even with continuous float charging, my 50cc and 150cc scooter batteries usually only last about a year and a few months before degrading. Since paying more for the perceived quality of a "name brand" battery has not made much difference, I now just purchase the cheapest ones I can find on eBay . . example.
tortoise

Postby Bustin on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:09 pm

My '01 ZRX1200 and '02 Met are both on their original Yuasa batteries, and both are still going strong after nearly a decade of use . I use a Battery Tender regularly and have never deep discharged either battery .
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby IRELAND on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:19 pm

:) Thank you for all your comments.
Maybe here I can explain more for you :
it provides much more stable current for power supply, with circle life > 2,000 times, smaller & lighter than MF battery and it's eviornment friendly.
we thought that it might be a trend in the future for all scooters, electric scooter/bike especially. Hope it can works :D
IRELAND

Postby antonelc on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 pm

IRELAND wrote::) Thank you for all your comments.
Maybe here I can explain more for you :
it provides much more stable current for power supply, with circle life > 2,000 times, smaller & lighter than MF battery and it's eviornment friendly.
we thought that it might be a trend in the future for all scooters, electric scooter/bike especially. Hope it can works :D

It sounds interesting but current scooter batterys last years and for some for the life of the scooter. It all depends on price. If the price is not too much over OEM, I need a new battery, and your battery has good reviews then I would purchase it; but getting rid of a perfectly working battery to buy a environmentally friendly battery is wasteful. :-?
antonelc

Postby gmoney on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:38 pm

The problem with Lithium batteries is that they require a constant current, constant voltage while charging, not to mention that they can explode if improperly charged! That being said Lithium batteries do not develop a memory, can be partially discharged/recharged many times and they will hold there charge for much longer than other types of batteries. Another drawback to Lithium batteries is if they are discharged below 3.2 volts per cell they are ruined. Unless they use a special computer controlled charging circuit it would be impossible to just put one in say a Metropolitan and expect them to drive away and happily never have to worry about their battery again!
I use Lithuim batteries in my R/C equipment, i.e., model helicopters and aircraft. In that capacity they work beautifully and they have far greater energy density than nicads or nimhs. So before you run out and purchase one get all the facts and make and imformed decision.

Gary
gmoney

Postby ScooterAddict on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 pm

I have a question about Lithium Batteries. If I switch over to a Lithium battery, will I still be able to use my 'Battery Tender' charger that I use for all my batteries? If not, what is the difference between a Lithium charger and the battery tenders that everyone uses? I was thinking of switching to Lithium for all my machines, but not the added cost of buying and replacing all my chargers!
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's
2013 Honda CRF250L
2013 Honda PCX150
ScooterAddict

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:17 pm

If I switch over to a Lithium battery, will I still be able to use my 'Battery Tender' charger that I use for all my batteries?

Short answer is no.

Here's the why:
https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/blogs ... um-battery
http://www.powerstream.com/li.htm

Here's the how-to if you want stay with the Battery Tender brand :
You can use a Battery Tender model made for lithium batteries.
http://products.batterytender.com/Charg ... ithium.htm
http://products.batterytender.com/Charg ... unior.html

Not a lot of interest in this topic. The thread has been dead for over 5 years. That should give you a clue to the popularity of lithium batteries for scooters, for now. Only you can decide if it's "worth" changing.

This information took less than five minutes to find with a Google search yielding many results, some provided here. Hope it helps with your inquiry.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Accessory Discussion