Ready to tow

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Ready to tow

Postby Grandma on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:48 pm

I am looking into getting a tow package added to my little Vibe. I am going to buy some sort of trailer so that I can take my scooter with me on road trips. I'll park my car and use the scooter to see the areas I visit.

Now - here are my questions?
    Does anyone else do this?
    What trailer do you have?
    How do you tie and secure your scooter?
Grandbabies are my Heartbeat!
2007 Honda Purple Kanji Metropolitan
Grandma

Re: Ready to tow

Postby jmproductions on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I have not towed my met, but they delievered mine on a small trailer. I tow a boat almost every weekend with my vibe.
jmproductions

Postby Grandma on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 pm

I am getting the towing package on my car for about $300 next week at the dealers. I am buying one of the smaller trailers for about $400 at Lowe's.

Now - how do I secure the scooter to the trailer so it won't tip over?
Grandma

Postby Grandma on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Has anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.factoryramps.com/products/mo ... frame.html
Grandma

Postby Grandma on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Hey, I really need some help here guys.
Grandma

Postby LouWho on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Grandma..I have not towed a scoot yet, but have investigated it a little bit. There are motorcycle wheel chocks that you can use if your trailer does not have rails in the front to strap the front tire to.
http://www.pitposse.com/wheelchucks.html
I think there are handle bar straps called canyon dancers or something that you can use to tie the scoot down to eyebolts or siderails. Try a search on scooter trailers or hauling scooters, and hopefully someone who has actually hauled a scoot will respond.
Oh and Grandma.....you go girl! =D>
2008 Ocean Honda Met "Hazel"
LouWho

Postby Grandma on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanx for the link Lou. I ordered 2 chocks and 2 canyon dancers.

This Grandma will always go!

Today was my first ride without a jacket and boy-oh-boy did it feel good! :x
Grandma

Postby iBagwan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Check this out. They're called Tilt-a-Racks. I have had this one since the summer of 2006 and it has been awesome! We've taken it on a couple of long trips down to Santa Barbara and it has worked out wonderfully. We park the car at the hotel and spend the whole weekend scootin' around downtown and up in the hills. It holds both our Metros and I can't even tell they're on there when I'm driving. It's really easy getting them on as there is a little flip down ramp on each track. It is light enough that my wife can carry it out from the garage and put it on the trailer hitch by herself. The two ramps attach separately so it's not too heavy to put on. The other nice thing is that it is NOT a trailer. That means no license, no insurance, no going at a towing speed!

Just google "Tilt-a-rack" and a bunch of dealers should pop up. I actually ordered it on line but the company was really flakey. I did a quick search and found a guy 15 miles from our house and he had just what I needed.

FUN!
Attachments
IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit....
Aristotle
iBagwan

Postby Grandma on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanx for the info. I will have a look.
Grandma

Postby BeachBuzz on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:43 am

iBagwan wrote:Check this out. They're called Tilt-a-Racks. I have had this one since the summer of 2006 and it has been awesome! We've taken it on a couple of long trips down to Santa Barbara and it has worked out wonderfully. We park the car at the hotel and spend the whole weekend scootin' around downtown and up in the hills. It holds both our Metros and I can't even tell they're on there when I'm driving. It's really easy getting them on as there is a little flip down ramp on each track. It is light enough that my wife can carry it out from the garage and put it on the trailer hitch by herself. The two ramps attach separately so it's not too heavy to put on. The other nice thing is that it is NOT a trailer. That means no license, no insurance, no going at a towing speed!

Just google "Tilt-a-rack" and a bunch of dealers should pop up. I actually ordered it on line but the company was really flakey. I did a quick search and found a guy 15 miles from our house and he had just what I needed.

FUN!

I doubt you could use a tandem tilt-a-rack on a Vibe - too much weight. Versa Hauler makes a hitch rack speciffically for the 50's that I have used for my 8-} 50 on my Magnum - even on the Magnum a 50 approaches the tounge weight limit - the VH50 is rated up to 250lbs
'09 Burgman 650 Executive - commuter, cruiser, APV
'09 Honda Metropolitan - her BeachBuzz
'05 TGB 50 - his BeachBuzz
'06 Genuine Blur 150 - his Commuter (retired)
'07 Genuine Buddy Italia 125 - her commuter
BeachBuzz

Postby iBagwan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am

Good point, the rack and scooter would be 225 lbs and it needs a class III hitch. I have a Touareg and with both scooters it gets up to close to 500 lbs.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit....
Aristotle
iBagwan

Postby jmproductions on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:31 am

yep the vibe weight limit is 200lb sorry, but i was referring to a trailer. weight limit for towing on a vibe is 1500lb.
jmproductions

Postby scootinjane on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Grandma can i ask what wheel chock you found to fit the tires for a metro?
scootinjane

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Sorry, scootinjane, but Grandma hasn't visited the urbanscootin board since June 1, 2012. That thread was posted 6 years ago, so it's not a hot topic, I guess. I doubt if you'll be getting an answer anytime soon. You could try sending a private message to Grandma to directly get in contact since it's clear she's not logging in here in more than 2 years and won't likely get to read your new post here.

Now the chocks Grandma noted she bought were from a site provided by a link in the thread. You might find an answer if you follow the link and try to research chocks for a Met that way. That's my best suggestion. Old threads and inactive members don't always give good answers to new inquiries. Hope you do get to find your chocks.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Accessory Discussion