Prescription goggles or over eyeglasses goggles?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Prescription goggles or over eyeglasses goggles?

Postby lscjd86 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 pm

I ride with a half helmet, so I need to protect my eyes while riding. Since I wear eyeglasses, I thought that might help with the wind, but I found that the wind bothers my eyes. Today I was riding down a city street going close to 40 mph and a spec of something landed in my eye... not pleasant. If I wear my contacts I can wear goggles so wind and other things are not a problem, but I can't wear the contacts all the time so I was thinking of getting either prescription goggles or goggles that can go over eyeglasses. I tried on a pair of goggles over my glasses, but found them to be uncomfortable. Maybe I just tried on the wrong kind. If anyone has any experience with either prescription goggles goggles that claim that they can be worn over eyeglasses, I would like to know whether you recommend them or are they a waste of money, 'cause the prescription goggles are not cheap. Or should I just wear another type of helmet with a shield when I ride with glasses? Thanks in advance. :p
2006 Honda Metropolitan "Scooty"
http://www.scooteraddict.com
"enabling your two-wheeled addiction when you are not riding"
lscjd86

Re: Prescription goggles or over eyeglasses goggles?

Postby vulcan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:55 pm

A full face helmet is always preferable, but I do wear a shorty helmet on my Met a lot. I just wear sunglasses with it. I have 20/16 vision. But 40 MPH is about as fast as I would want to go with that combination. Even then, the wind gets around the glasses and hurts my eyes sometimes. I always wear a full face on anything faster. If you get one, make sure your glasses will fit comfortably with it. If you are wearing glasses with a ful face helmet, that gives you the option of opening the face shield for more ventilation, while still having eye protection. Plus if it is really hot, you can always flip the shield up anytime you are stopped. I actually find a full face helmet more comfortable than a 3/4 helmet. When I first started riding, I rode dirt bikes, and then got into motocross. Full face motocross helmets hadn't been invented back then, so I wore a 3/4 helmet with one of those flat shields that attach with 5 snaps. I also wore one of those on the street for a long time. When it is hot, you are stuck inside that shield, it does not flip up like the shield on a full face helmet. There are also modular helmets, basically full face helmets where the whole front, including the chinbar flip up. Be careful about buying one of those. They do make good ones, which tend to be expensive compared to a regular full face helmet, and they also make cheaper ones, which can come unlatched in an accident. I think of them as being sort of like a convertable car, compared to a hardtop or coupe. A hardtop car body shell is much stronger than a convertible, because the top on a convertible, even a hardtop convertable, does not contribute to it's structural strength. The last helmet I bought was a full face I got from JCWhitney, after reading this. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html I no longer believe the Snell certification to have any meaning, in fact, a DOT only helmet is safer in 99% of all crashes. The people involved in this article practically wrote the book on helmet safety. Professor Harry Hurt is the foremost authority on motorcycle safety in the world. Until Snell changes their testing procedures to more accurately reflect real world conditions, I will not buy another Snell Helmet. The DOT standard is actually better, and an under $100 helmet provided better protection than most of these $400-$500 name brand helmets. Safe Scootin. Jerry.
Last edited by vulcan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby Bustin on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 pm

Prescription goggles ? How about a real helmet , instead ?

A decent full face helmet would address all your issues, and protect you better in a crash as well. You can wear your contacts or normal glasses , whatever.

Getting debris blown into your eyes is just one of the downsides to a 1/2 shell helmet, among many others, not the least of which is crash protection (or lack thereof). A speck in your eye will pale in comparison to the pain you may experience if you happen to do a face plant in that toy helmet..... not an uncommmon scenario , in bike crashes.

I apologize if I seem a bit snarky , but I always wonder why someone chooses an open face helmet (as opposed to a full face design) then tries to rig up devices to protect their eyes and face from the elements , while still sacrificing any kind of real crash protection (?)

Does not compute.

Here is a very nice full face helmet , that can be yours for all of $79.99 list price :

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_csr1.htm
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby vulcan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:35 pm

I gotta agree. And get it in white. White is the most visible color there is, day or night. I wear a white helmet, and an orange road construction vest, (even on a black cruiser motorcycle) but I plan to upgrade the road construction vest to one of those Icon mil. spec. vests. I used to wear a black helmet, and a black jacket, because I thought they looked cool. Then common sense, and a desire not to get crushed by an SUV changed my mind on this. Staying alive is more important (to me) than looking cool. Funny how getting older kinda changes your perspective on things like that. Most Harley riders around here wear a black t shirt, sunglasses, and a do rag. I hope they never crash, but even if they don't they have destroyed their face buy getting hit by the wind, bugs, rocks, etc, over the years. Makes their face look like the surface of the moon. Safe scootin. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby Bustin on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:57 pm

vulcan wrote: Staying alive is more important (to me) than looking cool. Funny how getting older kinda changes your perspective on things like that.

True words.

Getting older is synoymous with gaining experience , when it comes to street survival and choosing protective gear , at least for those of us who actually ride day after day , year after year.
Bustin

Postby lscjd86 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:25 am

Bustin wrote:Prescription goggles ? How about a real helmet , instead ?
I apologize if I seem a bit snarky , but I always wonder why someone chooses an open face helmet (as opposed to a full face design) then tries to rig up devices to protect their eyes and face from the elements , while still sacrificing any kind of real crash protection (?)

No need to apologize Bustin, you bring up a very good point. It is kinda silly to try to rig things up, when the solution is right in front of you. I guess that part of the thing for me being new to this is the novelty of it. You want to get things for your scoot and for yourself that may seem cool, different etc. but are not practical or necessarily safe.

After reading both your's and Vulcan's comment, I will go out and get a full face helmet. That was on the back of my mind already because I have tried some on, but have not found one yet that feels comfortable with my glasses, but I am going to bike shops this weekend to try many more on and to get one that fits well.

Thanks gain to Bustin and Vulcan. I find your advice and recommensdations very infromative and look forward to reading your (as well as many others who give good advice) comments on other post because I keep learning new and better ways to do things on my scoot.

:p
2006 Honda Metropolitan "Scooty"
http://www.scooteraddict.com
"enabling your two-wheeled addiction when you are not riding"
lscjd86

Postby Bustin on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:54 am

lscjd86 ,

If I many offer one more bit of advice..... try different brands of helmets when shopping. Each manufacturer has their own ideas about head shape . Some lean towards a rounder head, others stretch it out front to back . A person that fits comfortably in one brand's medium size may not be comfortable in another's medium. Arai is the only manufacturer that I know of that offers their helmets in different head shapes , and they are a top end brand that sell for $$$$. I typically recommend HJC helmets, because most people fit well in their shape , and the helmets are an excellent value overall. I personally like their CL-15 ($129.95) , it has some extra features over the CS-R1 ($79.99) , like a fog-free visor and removable, washable liner. The FS-10 adds a cool little set of flip down sunglasses to the design , but the price goes up.

A lot of people that wear glasses prefer modular style (flip face) helmets. Check out the HJC CL-MAX , or SY-MAX 2 . The SY-MAX 2 offers those same flip down sunglasses .

Shoei is another brand to check out , but they are kinda pricy. I'd personally avoid Fulmer, THH , and Bell , mostly due to poor support on replacement visors and hardware. I hear a lot of complaints about these brands (which I don't sell) , it sucks to have a new helmet that you can't get a replacement visor for without jumping through hoops.

Good luck !
Bustin

Postby Marcster on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:19 am

Without endorsing http://www.helmetharbor.com (I've never purchased from them), they do a lot of video reviews... And echoing those above, Helmet Harbor puts more faith in DOT and ECE2205 (the European standard) over SNELL approval.

They recommend the Sparx line as the best full face helmets for under $200.
Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oc7MgrCB-g

http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/Mo ... Model/S-07

I realize that a replacement helmet is no consolation for an accident, but it's something...

The Special Edition Sparx helmets cost $10 more, but they come with a free smoke shield (in addition to the clear).

Jerry (vulcan) and many others recommend a white helmet, Sparx does make two almost-all-white-but-very-stylish models:

http://www.sparxhelmets.com
--Drowning in the scooterness... Image
Right now I feel: Image
Marcster

Postby RedBikeGirl on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I wear glasses and use a face shield on my helmet. It's the only thing that keeps the sand, grit, and bugs out of my eyes. I just ordered a smoke face shield to help with the sun glare.
2010 Red Elite.
RedBikeGirl

Postby Hunin on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 pm

I wear glasses and tried a full face helmet when I bought my scooter. I really didn't like it because it interferred with the way I wear my glasses. I also thought the helmet was too constricting. I decided on a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. I really like the helmet because it doesn't feel like I am wearing a constricting helmet but gives my face protection from wind, road debris and the elements.

I would recommend trying on any helmet before purchasing one. Helmets are like shoes. You need to try everyone out before you can make a good decision. Each helmet has a different fit and feel. Some helmets I tried on were okay for XL and some I had to use XXL. I finally decided on a Fulmer 3/4 XXL helmet. I think I tried on every helmet type at the scooter store before deciding.
Hunin

Postby kcteabag on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Speaking about helmets and eyeglasses, you might also want to try glasses that have temples that go straight back when you wear them. Oakley makes eyeglasses that have temples ( arms) that go straight back instead of wrapping around the ears. I only suggest this because I work in an optometrists office (optician/mgr), wear glasses myself while owning a scooter and motorcycle for many years , and I have helped many people w/ prescription glasses and sunglasses that have liked this design when it comes to wearing a helmet and glasses. If you decide to try the oakley brand on, bring your helmet and try on the frame(s) with your helmet on and see which one is the most comfortable.

kc :D
kcteabag

Postby Smorris on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm

kcteabag wrote:Speaking about helmets and eyeglasses, you might also want to try glasses that have temples that go straight back when you wear them. Oakley makes eyeglasses that have temples ( arms) that go straight back instead of wrapping around the ears. I only suggest this because I work in an optometrists office (optician/mgr), wear glasses myself while owning a scooter and motorcycle for many years , and I have helped many people w/ prescription glasses and sunglasses that have liked this design when it comes to wearing a helmet and glasses. If you decide to try the oakley brand on, bring your helmet and try on the frame(s) with your helmet on and see which one is the most comfortable.

kc :D

Good point. My wife is also an optician, so I get good deals on sunglasses. She brought me some Carrera ones home, and the temples bow out so far I can't wear them in the helmet. I still stick to my old Serengeti Drivers. Best $47 I ever spent!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby wenceslas on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Not sure what your budget looks like...but Wal-mart has a rather inexpensive deal on precriptive goggles @ $65.00; includes frames plus prescription. The brand name of the frames is Liberty and the style is Torque.

I say "rather inexpensive" because the same prescription on a regular $18.00 frame is costing me over $150.00.

The lenses are shatter-proof and the frames have the windproof padding all around the inside of the frame.
When all is said and done, MORE will be said than DONE.
wenceslas

Postby benjo on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm

I wear a full face helmet with regular eyeglasses. I have to take them off before I can slip the helmet over my head, but the eyeglasses slide in just fine.
benjo

Postby LondaGanji on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 am

As a rider, I can understand how a little particle of dust disturbs while riding bikes or scooters. :( In my opinions, goggles don't provide a complete protection for eyes and you should go with the best and lightweight Bluetooth helmets.

These are available also at cheap prices and you can easily purchase them from anywhere or online stores. I hope, you will act upon on my advice because life is valuable for all of us.
LondaGanji

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion