Wear something reflective NOW!

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Wear something reflective NOW!

Postby benjo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Whether you're riding or walking on the side of the road, wear something reflective now! Even in daylight! When a car hits you it's one of the things a cop checks out.
benjo

Re: Wear something reflective NOW!

Postby MGA531 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:24 am

There is a reason for why he checked that out. New government regulations just kicked in. It states that ANY person working on any road that receives any kind of federal funding MUST be wearing a reflective vest or jacket that is "ANSI/ISEA 2007-2006" compliant. That means its that bright lime green and meets certain reflectivity standards. Its part of a new safety act. This applies to all workers, ie., law enforcement, fire, rescue, repair, tow, surveyors, etc. As far as non-worker pedestrians, it goes to the old standard of "what did you do to help prevent yourself from getting hit?".

;)

This is what our local officers have to wear now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 Yamaha Majesty.
Previous bikes: 85 Spree, 06 Metropolitan, 06 Vino 125
MGA531

Postby laspalmas7 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:06 pm

I think it's a good idea. I'm planning on blowing some extra bills on an Aerostitch Darien in Hi-Viz yellow... The "cheaper" one without the liner...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Dar ... 16376.html

At least I'll know that people who hit me would be *trying* to hit me... and not because they couldn't see me ;-)
2009 Zuma 125
laspalmas7

Postby sippicup91 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 pm

laspalmas7 wrote:I think it's a good idea. I'm planning on blowing some extra bills on an Aerostitch Darien in Hi-Viz yellow... The "cheaper" one without the liner...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Dar ... 16376.html

At least I'll know that people who hit me would be *trying* to hit me... and not because they couldn't see me ;-)

that's the bad part about high-lighter vests and jackets. you become the target!
you might as well stand in all red in front of an extremely pissed off bull and shake your ass. you might be safer, depending who your around.

results may very...
~Khris.
I ride everyday-in any weather.
sippicup91

Postby robschonk on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm

I got a great deal on an ANSI reflective jacket on e-bay for $15 plus shipping. It was a closeout available in
XLT only, which happens to be my size. Great quality, I wear it over a heavier jacket.

Here 'tis.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reflective-ANSI ... dZViewItem

I also wear day glow orange work gloves over my leather gloves. They can't say they didn't see me coming!

Rob
robschonk

Postby Bustin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm

I got some of that reflective tape and stuck it on the back of my helmet. I ride quite a bit in the dark/rain/fog .... all three lately. My jackets have reflective stuff in them as well , but a little more can't hurt.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 am

A couple points to ponder besides the reflective clothing:

#1- If your scoot quits, leave it there and come back to it. It's not worth it to risk your health over it.

#2- If you're going to ignore #1, at least push from the right side of the scoot so you're away from traffic. Better to have a car clip your scooter than the back of your leg.
Paddy_Crow

Postby vulcan on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 am

It has to be green? I have an orange road construction vest (a good heavy one, not one of those cheap mesh things) with yellow reflective stripes on it, that is approved by the state of AZ DOT for highway workers. I also wear a white helmet. I didn't put any reflective tape on it, because while that would work better at night, it could actually make a solid white helmet more difficult to see in the daytime, just like those helmets with the crazy graphics the crotch rocket riders prefer. A big solid patch of white uninterrupted by anything stands out better. I rarely ever ride at night anymore, I just take the car or truck.

For anyone looking for a decent looking vest, orange or green, check out the Icon Mil Spec vest. It actually looks like something to wear on a motorcycle, not for a construction worker. Icon came out with these because the government requires all military personnel to wear one at all times while riding a motorcycle, and there was a big demand for something that didn't look like a construction vest. They only cost about $60, and are probably the next best investment you can make after a helmet.

I don't think I would either push my bike along the side of the road, or even walk along the side of the road, even wearing a vest. Road construction workers get hit every year around here, but then AZ has some of the absolute worst drivers in the country.. I would move the bike off the road, and use my cell phone to call for help.

If you are going to be travelling very far from home, I highly recommend a good motorcycle road service plan. I have one, because I put 10 times as many miles on my bikes as I do on my car and truck. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby MGA531 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Color and reflectivity grade requirements vary by use. Remember, this applies to WORKERS, its like an OSHA thing. Yes, green if over like 35 mph zone. Orange is authorized to 25 mph. But, if its a federally funded road... green only.
2009 Yamaha Majesty.
Previous bikes: 85 Spree, 06 Metropolitan, 06 Vino 125
MGA531

Postby cuzinit on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Florida DOT says we will wear orange ANSI Class 2 on all jobs. Contractors can wear orange or green class2, flaggers are to wear class 2 during the daytime and class3 at night time,
CUZIN IT AKA Ross 2004 Met 2 2007 Silver Wing 2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
cuzinit

Postby Payperbiz on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 pm

I prefer wearing reflective gear at night but not during the day. Just don't wanna cause discomfort to other motorists. You know how it is when a ray of bright light hits your eyes while on the road right?
Payperbiz

Postby vulcan on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Payperbiz wrote:I prefer wearing reflective gear at night but not during the day. Just don't wanna cause discomfort to other motorists. You know how it is when a ray of bright light hits your eyes while on the road right?

I wear my reflective vest and white helmet pretty much all the time, even while riding a black v-twin cruiser motorcycle. I also keep my headlight on high in the daytime, and am considering getting a headlight modulator. I used to wear a black leather jacket, a black helmet, blue or black jeans, and black boots, but about the time cell phone use in cars got real popular, the accident rate went way up here, especially rear end collisions, and I also started noticing I was having more near misses.(I know some may dissagree with this, but I have seen it for myself) After switching to the solid white helmet and orange vest, I noticed drivers were paying a lot more attention to me, and I was having quite a bit fewer near misses. Other motorcyclists, especially Harley and other cruiser riders may laugh at my outfit, but it's my life.

A little off topic, but a lot of local police departments are starting to sell off their KZ1000 police bikes, and replacing them with Honda ST1300s and BMWs, and a lot of nice KZ1000 police bikes are winding up for sale around here. I have thought about buying one. Nothing gets a drivers attention faster than a copbike. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby KABarash on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 am

I have wondered if it really makes a difference!! Orange, 'silme' green, reflective or not!!
I'm a Land Surveyor, I've been hit by cars and etc numerous times at work, even my signs have been hit! The statement has ALWAYS been "I didn't See"!!!!!
THe Millitary Requires you to wear ypur 'PT belt' like a sash accross your one shoulder. I wove one into the bastet on the back of my Met. I had even put at one time one of those orange bicycle 'whip' type flags on it. PUT A STROBE LIGHT on the top of your helmet, inattentiveness will win every time!!! Someone will always say 'they didn't see' even tha a$$ that ran me off the road reciently, hootin and hollerin as he did it.... half an hour later when saw him he said he 'didn't see' me untill it was too late. YES he admitted to it but said he didn't see me!!! Cops were involved!!! 'Bubba' was cited!!
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Postby vulcan on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:34 am

KABarash wrote:I have wondered if it really makes a difference!! Orange, 'silme' green, reflective or not!!
I'm a Land Surveyor, I've been hit by cars and etc numerous times at work, even my signs have been hit! The statement has ALWAYS been "I didn't See"!!!!!
THe Millitary Requires you to wear ypur 'PT belt' like a sash accross your one shoulder. I wove one into the bastet on the back of my Met. I had even put at one time one of those orange bicycle 'whip' type flags on it. PUT A STROBE LIGHT on the top of your helmet, inattentiveness will win every time!!! Someone will always say 'they didn't see' even tha a$$ that ran me off the road reciently, hootin and hollerin as he did it.... half an hour later when saw him he said he 'didn't see' me untill it was too late. YES he admitted to it but said he didn't see me!!! Cops were involved!!! 'Bubba' was cited!!

I wear reflective orange. I have 2 vests, one is a super high quality road construction vest that I got at work, from central supply, the other is an Icon mil spec vest. I wear a white helmet. AZ is the largest construction site in the world, and people have been conditioned to seeing thousands of construction workers, wearing orange vests and white hard hats everwhere. I also use the 4 way flashers I rigged up on my Met quite a bit when going under 30 mph. Yeah, there is always some moron, usually with a cell phone, that won't see anything, because they are not even looking at the road. All you can do is do your best to watch out for them. Jerry.
vulcan

Postby JeremyZ on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am

I wear an ANSI Class 2 fluorescent green reflective vest much of the time.

The reflective portion helps at night, and the fluorescent green helps during the day. I'm surprised, but I've noticed a much bigger difference in the way I'm treated during the day. People don't tailgate me any more. It is too painful to their eyes, hehehe.

I noticed that ICON vest that vulcan mentioned in the aerostich catalog. Looks cool, $60 is a lot though.

That said, I'm considering buying a fluorescent green motorcycle-specific jacket. Having the arms in fluoro helps even more. It is a pretty big difference, if you've ever seen someone on the road wearing a full fluoro jacket.
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion