modular helmets

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

modular helmets

Postby juice on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:31 pm

I have not been able to find an affordable full face helmet that I can get comfortable with . I have a Bell open face with a flip up visor that I usually wear and a bell full face that I can't get comfortable with nor can I wear sunglasses with . Has any one had experience with the modular flip up type helmets ? Can you wear sunglasses with them ? Are they comfortable on longer rides ? Do they fog up easily ? Any recomendations on affordable brands ($150.00) or under . Where can they be bought ? Thanks .
juice

Re: modular helmets

Postby tortoise on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Only YOU can determine which helmet fits best through trial and error. Include Jafrum in your research.

There is somewhat of a technique, however. With glasses on, hold fully open helmet upside down by grasping the straps, tilt head forward and position the bottom protrusions against cheeks, then flip head and helmet back while pulling on straps.

Last edited by tortoise on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:46 pm

I use an HJC CL-MAX. It got a poor review by webBikeWorld, but I have not experienced any of the issues they griped about. It is on the heavy side, but I don't find it overly heavy. For the price, I'm pretty happy with it.

The main thing I like about a modular is I can put my helmet on without taking my glasses off.
Paddy_Crow

Postby ScooterDuende on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:38 am

I use a HJC CL-SP FF I picked up on Motorcycle Closeouts for about $70. I already had a HJC open face helmet that fit well, so I went with HJC again. I put my sunglasses on after putting the helmet on, just slipping them in. Depending on the sunglasses, this may or may not work.

I got my HJC open face helmet at a cycle shop. You have to go try on different helmets to find what will work well for you. I have been thinking about getting a modular helmet, but sometimes I like to open my shield up a bit while riding - sometimes for fogging, if I don't have the mask in, or just for a little more air. I don't think you can do that with the modular helmets. Just something to keep in mind.
2003 Honda Metropolitan *SOLD*
2006 YaMama Majesty
ScooterDuende

Postby Paddy_Crow on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 am

You can open the shield on modular helmets just like a FF.

One thing I like about mine is it has a little vent door that you can open for antifogging.
Paddy_Crow

Return to Apparel Discussion