new scoot... new gear.. what kind of boots should a lady get

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

new scoot... new gear.. what kind of boots should a lady get

Postby esra88returned on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm

I got the protectives jacket.. The full face helmet.. and the gloves...
Now im looking for boots, as i hear its an important staple for riding...
What about jeans.. are the ok..?
what else should I look for..
But more so.. what boots do you suggest for summer, and for a small framed girl like me??
esra88returned

Re: new scoot... new gear.. what kind of boots should a lady get

Postby masukomi on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:27 pm

The thing about boots is that the good motorcycle boots are typically crappy for walking around on when you get where you're going. I think the best compromise are the "short boots" or "sneaker boots". Also, most of the "women's" motorcycle shoes I've seen suck when it comes to protection. They're all look and no function. But, there's no reason a smaller men's shoe shouldn't fit you. I would be sure to try on whatever boots you decide get at a shop instead of ordering online. Most places will be happy to order whatever size you need even if you don't end up getting them.

WebBikeWorld has a pretty extensive set of boot reviews, as well as reviews of all other motorcycle gear.

Icon also has some short boots that I don't think are mentioned there, the Accellerant has some good reviews.

However I would point out that you're neglecting your legs. Jeans offer essentially no protection whatsoever as they've got a tear resistance of about 14lbs, which is nothing. You could rip them open by tripping and falling to your knees nevermind sliding at 30mph. You're likely to have serious impact on your knees too, and skin grafts are painful and ugly.

For the summer days I'm wearing Joe Rocket Ladies Alter Ego overpants which go on over jeans, or whatever, very easily and have a huge mesh vent you can open that goes up one leg, across the back, and down the other leg, and have a nice ivy(ish) design on the butt. They're also pretty comfortable to walk around in if you're making a short stop somewhere and don't feel like having to take them off and put them back on when you return to the scooter. Overpants aren't the sexiest of options but I feel they're the most practical.

I haven't gotten around to writing up a review of mine yet because I'm waiting for a really hot day to open up that vent. So far I haven't needed to even when it was in the 80's this weekend.
Promote safe riding: get a Free "Gear Up!" sticker
masukomi

Postby masukomi on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:36 pm

thinking more... unfortunately most of the short boots are very... male... in appearance.

I think the Revit Air Blend's have a nice look that's not too butch. I'll probably be getting the waterproof version of those since i ride in all weather. The Sidi Doha's don't look too bad either.

If you do find something made for women that looks good and has good protection good definitely post it. I'd love to see what you come up with.
masukomi

Postby duderiffic on Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 am

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterpro ... boots.html

I have these Web Gore-Tex boots from Alpinestars and I've been very happy with them. Definitely no sex appeal, but they're comfortable for riding and reasonable for walking- I've walked pretty far (1 mile or so) in them before and it wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure how big your foot is. :P

They're full length- personally I think if you're wearing boots you may as well go full length for the best protection- you don't want the boots coming off.
duderiffic
Admin

Postby Bustin on Mon May 04, 2009 11:52 am

To take it to the other extreme , Icon offers a couple of very sexy ladies ridin' boots . I've never met a woman that didn't want these boots :

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details ... 44&id=7923

And a shorter version :
http://www.rideicon.com/product_details ... 44&id=7922
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby masukomi on Tue May 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Bustin wrote:To take it to the other extreme , Icon offers a couple of very sexy ladies ridin' boots . I've never met a woman that didn't want these boots...

I am wholly unconvinced that these offer any worthwhile protection beyond what you'd get from a normal leather boot (small ankle bone pad doesn't cut it for me) Also, I think the heels would just contribute to bad leg angle. On a motorcycle I'd hate to try shifting while wearing those.
masukomi

Postby KaraokeMistress on Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah, those Bombshell boots may not offer all that much protection, but that doesn't mean I want them any less. :D
Scooter Diva, fully fledged
2008 Honda Metropolitan in Monza - "CLEO"
(Monza - That's fancy Honda-speak for all red & black.)
KaraokeMistress

Postby FLATOUT50 on Wed May 06, 2009 7:41 pm

KaraokeMistress wrote:Yeah, those Bombshell boots may not offer all that much protection, but that doesn't mean I want them any less. :D

Go for the bomb...
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby Bustin on Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Masukomi, Bombshells aren't track boots. Very few women will wear track boots. Most ladies struggle finding something that offers some protection but doesn't look weird , which is the basis of this thread.

These are cute, sexy leather boots that get worn . They won't fly off in a crash.

Most Icon gear sacrifices a bit of protection for style , but will get the job done nine crashes out of ten. I'd put these boots in the top 10% of everything I see the typical woman rider wearing on their feet , because they have sturdy soles, good ankle protection ,won't fly off, and are constructed of thick leather. I've never heard any complaints about shifting , braking, or control , from the ladies that wear them.

Beats the hell out of flip-flops, pedal pushers,crocs, or Chucks . :D
Bustin

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 am

My concern with those heels would be the added risk to rolling an ankle. I would look for a flat, wide heel, but I'm not a woman.
Paddy_Crow

Postby masukomi on Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am

Bustin wrote:Masukomi, Bombshells aren't track boots. Very few women will wear track boots. Most ladies struggle finding something that offers some protection but doesn't look weird , which is the basis of this thread.

These are cute, sexy leather boots that get worn . They won't fly off in a crash.

Most Icon gear sacrifices a bit of protection for style , but will get the job done nine crashes out of ten. I'd put these boots in the top 10% of everything I see the typical woman rider wearing on their feet , because they have sturdy soles, good ankle protection ,won't fly off, and are constructed of thick leather. I've never heard any complaints about shifting , braking, or control , from the ladies that wear them.

Beats the hell out of flip-flops, pedal pushers,crocs, or Chucks . :D

Yeah, footwear is where motorcycling women tend to fail the worst. I agree that they're way better than what almost every woman out there seems to be wearing but my concern is the ergonomics of them (in addition to my doubts about the safety factor of them). The heel being that high is going to force you to have a your leg bent more than you otherwise would which is going to make make your knees hurt sooner. On a cruiser it'd be really awkward to have your foot stretched out flat on anything.

You're probably not hearing any complaints from the ladies that wear them because women who would buy them are far more concerned with how they look than safety or ergonomics and are used to experiencing physical discomfort in order to get the look they want.

I'm ok with compromise. Choosing motorcycle gear is all about compromise, which is why i suggested short-boots like the Rev-It Air Blends. Some protection (not the most by any means) but with the ability to comfortably walk around when you get where you're going. I simply don't see how wearing heels that force your legs into unnatural angles isn't going to screw you up more when you fall. Also, look at the toes of those icon boots. There's no way they've fit any good crush protection in there. They're simply too thin vertically.

I'm just not seeing a lot of evidence that these aren't simply normal women's boots with a bump added over the ankle bone and labled "Motorcycle boots", which is only marginally better than trying to sell "motorcycle sandals"
masukomi

Postby Bustin on Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am

I see your point(s) , and agree that these boots don't offer the degree of protection that "real" motorcycle boots generally would. However, they are not just re-labeled casual boots with a heel protector added on, and you shouldn't make so many assumptions based on a photo . The shank is heavy steel, and there are PU guards in the toes, foot, heel, ankle, calf and shin, which provide a fair degree of structural rigidity , and , like most decent calf length motorcycle boots, there are PU strips running from the sole to the gaiter which help prevent ankle rolling. Icon actually loses a few sales on this boot, because women try them on and expect the same "soft" feel they get from all the other sexy black boots in their closets . The rigidity of the boot feels different .... but the drop dead sexy styling usually wins out and sells a pair.

Bottomline , I think these boots are a pretty fair comprimise between safety and cuteness , and guess which one of those two factors sells more ladies boots ?
Bustin

Postby masukomi on Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am

Bustin wrote:I see your point(s) , and agree that these boots don't offer the degree of protection that "real" motorcycle boots generally would. However, they are not just re-labeled casual boots with a heel protector added on, and you shouldn't make so many assumptions based on a photo....
--snip --

Bottomline , I think these boots are a pretty fair comprimise between safety and cuteness , and guess which one of those two factors sells more ladies boots ?

Wow, thanks for setting me straight. I'm glad these are better than they look. And you're right. I should have totally done some more research before opening my trap. ;)
masukomi

Postby Bustin on Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 am

It's all good . I get a little more in-depth information about motorcycle gear than most folks , due to my job. I've seen a pair of Bombshells cut in half , that kind of thing.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Icon in general . Their helmets and mesh jackets are prone to defects and not particularly robust in their design , from a safety standpoint. Icon leather jackets and boots are much better in that aspect, although they still use a style forward engineering philosophy that puts looks and/or comfort over safety in a lot of instances.

They sell a lot of street gear with this strategy , and a lot of squids use Icon gear just because it looks cool.....otherwise they'd wear the usual shorts and tee shirt , so I suppose Icon is tapping a new market, in some aspects.

BTW Masukomi , great job on the Gear Up program. :D
Bustin

Postby ratchet on Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 am

If you're looking at motorcycle boots, and don't want a full-out "track" boot.... take a look at the boots which are generally listed as "touring" boots. They're usually much easier to walk around in (and sometimes waterproof too, which is always a plus)

Personally, I wear a pair of Puma Bonnevilles, and love them.
(granted I'm a guy.... but I believe these are more of a "unisex" style boot anyway)
ratchet

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion